Need Recommendations for a GREAT Buyers Broker in Seattle area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PNW Jeff

Veteran Member
Hey Everyone!

My wife and I have decided to move out of our apartment and become full time liveaboard's! We are on the wait-list at Shilshole Marina in Seattle and the time has come to start the process of finding our perfect boat.

With that said, we are fairly new to the world of boating (other than a few years of sailing experience) and are in need of a great buyers broker to help us through the entire process of finding & purchasing our first boat!

I've been researching boats like crazy, and we're looking for a motor yacht somewhere between 42'-50' LOA. So, a broker with extensive experience with these types of boats would be ideal.

If anyone has a recommendation on a great buyers broker in the Seattle area, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone! I'm looking forward to becoming a part of this awesome community.

Cheers,
- Jeff

This may come across as self serving, as we have our boat for sale... Ir-regardless in my opinion our broker is the one of the most knowledgeable and ethical people I've meant. In the past twenty years he has helped both sell and buy boats and more importantly he has educated us. He is in Seattle... PM if you want his name & number or just look at our listing in the classified forum

Dan Wood from Crow's Nest Yachts acted on my behalf when I bought Beachcomber. I didn't want him directly involved in the negotiations, but wanted him in the background if I had any questions or needed his advice/opinion on how to handle something.

His work number is 206.625.1580.

Welcome Jeff. I think finding a buyers broker is a good idea. However, I would caution you against hoping that the broker will also be able to act as counselor and advisor as to the type of boat to buy.

There are all kinds of power vessels in that size range that are radically different from each other. I would suggest that you spend the time and energy first figuring out what you want in a boat before finding a broker to help you find the boat.

You likely have done this exercise already but...
-Do you want a boat to roam the Salish Sea, or do you want a floating condo?
-How many people on boat, either living or for cruising?
-If you expect to take the boat out, where do you want to go and for how long? Big difference between WA and BC vs heading to Mexico.
-How fast do you want to travel?
-How much do you intend to spend.

Until you answer those for yourself, a broker can't do much for you.

Hey Everyone!

My wife and I have decided to move out of our apartment and become full time liveaboard's! We are on the wait-list at Shilshole Marina in Seattle and the time has come to start the process of finding our perfect boat.

With that said, we are fairly new to the world of boating (other than a few years of sailing experience) and are in need of a great buyers broker to help us through the entire process of finding & purchasing our first boat!

I've been researching boats like crazy, and we're looking for a motor yacht somewhere between 42'-50' LOA. So, a broker with extensive experience with these types of boats would be ideal.

If anyone has a recommendation on a great buyers broker in the Seattle area, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone! I'm looking forward to becoming a part of this awesome community.

Cheers,
- Jeff

Hi Jeff,

My wife and I purchased a 42' motor yacht last October. We were very happy with our broker, Del Kampmann. He works out of Tacoma at Breakwater Marina. Del was a fountain of information and gently steered us away from boats that he knew wouldn't meet our needs. He spent a full day traveling with me up to Blaine, WA to be there for a survey on a boat we ultimately passed on. When we did find the boat we ended up buying, the other broker refused to cooperate and share the deal with our broker. Del told us to move quickly on that boat as it was too good of a deal and wouldn't last, even though he wasn't going to make any commission. He was right, we bought our boat after only being on the market for 2 days. Del comes with my highest recommendation. He can be reached at:

Del Kampmann
253-677-2721
Del@breakwatermarina.com

Good luck,
Jeff Robinson and

Welcome Jeff. I think finding a buyers broker is a good idea. However, I would caution you against hoping that the broker will also be able to act as counselor and advisor as to the type of boat to buy.

There are all kinds of power vessels in that size range that are radically different from each other. I would suggest that you spend the time and energy first figuring out what you want in a boat before finding a broker to help you find the boat.

You likely have done this exercise already but...
-Do you want a boat to roam the Salish Sea, or do you want a floating condo?
-How many people on boat, either living or for cruising?
-If you expect to take the boat out, where do you want to go and for how long? Big difference between WA and BC vs heading to Mexico.
-How fast do you want to travel?
-How much do you intend to spend.

Until you answer those for yourself, a broker can't do much for you.

Thank you for the excellent feedback. I completely agree, and I've been doing a TON of research to get a feel for what's out there, what layouts would work best for us etc etc. We also went to TrawlerFest in Bremerton and have been on a handful of other boats as well.

I think that we have narrowed it down to Aft-Cabin boats with a fully enclosed sundeck and flybridge. Since we'll be living on the boat, it feels like that almost doubles the amount of livable space. Something with an LOA (super important because of slip size) of 42'-50' and a price range of up to $150k, but preferably closer to $100k. Something a little bit like this: 1985 La Belle Marine Trader 43' Sundeck Trawler - BananaBelt Boats and Yachts in Anacortes, United States - BananaBelt Boats and Yachts

I really am looking for a broker who can help arrange for my wife and I to put "boots on boats" as I feel like we still need to see more boats before figuring out exactly what we want. I would also really be leaning on a broker to help us determine if a boat is "fit" to live-aboard (proper amenities) and is in fairly good shape mechanically and structurally. That's the part I feel I'd really struggle with.

Of course, once we find that "perfect" boat, I intend on finding the best surveyor I can.

Being new to the boating world, there is SO MUCH information I'm trying to pick up and retain, but I do love a good challenge!

Any and all thoughts and comments are welcome, I am here to learn!

Cheers,
- Jeff

If you can, find a boat that is already a liveaboard, so the slip transfers to you.

This may come across as self serving, as we have our boat for sale... Ir-regardless in my opinion our broker is the one of the most knowledgeable and ethical people I've meant. In the past twenty years he has helped both sell and buy boats and more importantly he has educated us. He is in Seattle... PM if you want his name & number or just look at our listing in the classified forum

Since he asked the question, I think it's fine to name the broker in this thread.

Sounds like you are well on your way Jeff. I think finding a broker will help. Despite what you may often read here, I think there are good brokers around. Take the names recommended here and make some phone calls. Explain to the broker what you are interested in doing and go with the person that feels the most "right".

I really am looking for a broker who can help arrange for my wife and I to put "boots on boats" as I feel like we still need to see more boats before figuring out exactly what we want. I would also really be leaning on a broker to help us determine if a boat is "fit" to live-aboard (proper amenities)

A broker might guide you in how to determine those things but no one can tell you what is right. I'd strongly suggest you charter in the PNW and just get a feel, although very limited, as to living aboard. It will at least help you identify likes and dislikes, comfort and concerns. When looking at boats think of what goes where, think of things you like to do. A gourmet chef is going to require more galley than someone cooking from cans or packaged meals. You'll have to think about sleeping comfort and ceiling heights. That will vary widely based on height. I'm very tall so it's much different than with an average height male. Look at storage but do so very specifically thinking of what you would have to store. Look at closets in a home and you'll find one couple has a huge walk-in and still short of space while another is quite happy with relatively small closets.

Do you like outdoors or indoors most? Flybridge becomes relevant based on that answer as does aft seating. Are you comfortable spending most of your time in the same room or do you each need to be able to find your own space? That can be a very significant factor in determining the right layout.

You will not need the space you use on land, because you don't need it all on land either. However, don't underestimate by talking about getting rid of more stuff than ultimately you'll find you can. It's easy to theorize we don't need this, but much harder when it actually comes time. I know one couple that sold a huge commercial level Keurig coffee system, saying it used too much space. One month into their first long cruise they purchased a replacement as they found they "couldn't live without it." You'll be surprised at things on a boat that won't bother you at all or things you don't have, but then other seemingly minor items that become major.

A broker might guide you in how to determine those things but no one can tell you what is right. I'd strongly suggest you charter in the PNW and just get a feel, although very limited, as to living aboard. It will at least help you identify likes and dislikes, comfort and concerns. When looking at boats think of what goes where, think of things you like to do. A gourmet chef is going to require more galley than someone cooking from cans or packaged meals. You'll have to think about sleeping comfort and ceiling heights. That will vary widely based on height. I'm very tall so it's much different than with an average height male. Look at storage but do so very specifically thinking of what you would have to store. Look at closets in a home and you'll find one couple has a huge walk-in and still short of space while another is quite happy with relatively small closets.

Do you like outdoors or indoors most? Flybridge becomes relevant based on that answer as does aft seating. Are you comfortable spending most of your time in the same room or do you each need to be able to find your own space? That can be a very significant factor in determining the right layout.

Thanks BandB, this is all excellent info! This may sound weird, but my wife and I are staying on a Grand Banks 42 for 3 nights soon (we found it on AirBnB haha). Not the same layout were looking for, but at least we'll get to live on a boat for a few days!

For us, outdoor space (with a full enclosure) is a non negotiable. Headroom is a little tight on some of the boats we've been on (I'm 6'2'') but nothing where I couldn't stand straight up.

We DON'T want a floating condo, but want to be able to enjoy cruising Puget Sound, the San Juans and maybe as far as Desolation Sound. Nothing too crazy but i definitely want a boat that's mechanically and structurally "ready to go" for that type of use.

This is a random question, but when it comes to engine hours...what is considered high? 3k? 5k? 8k? Is a boat with 4k engine hours but a well maintained engine OK? Also....when it comes to diesels, what are considered to be the most and least desirable? I.e Cat, Volvo, Detroit, Hino etc etc

Sorry to go odd topic, but am curious.

Thanks again for the warm welcome, and the great feedback. Keep it coming, I'm loving it!

Jeff,

There's a nice 42' GB Motor yacht for sale up in Bellingham at NW Explorations. If that Air B&B suits your fancy then it could be the boat for you. Good luck.

Bob

Lots of good questions you are asking. Know that you'll get a very diverse range of answers!

Engines- I personally like Cats and Cummins. Both are well supported and have great parts availability. Another fave is the Perkins.

A live aboard neighbor is putting his 49' Defever Polithouse on the market shortly- and I believe it comes with a liveaboard slip!

Thank you for the excellent feedback. I completely agree, and I've been doing a TON of research to get a feel for what's out there, what layouts would work best for us etc etc. We also went to TrawlerFest in Bremerton and have been on a handful of other boats as well.

I think that we have narrowed it down to Aft-Cabin boats with a fully enclosed sundeck and flybridge. Since we'll be living on the boat, it feels like that almost doubles the amount of livable space. Something with an LOA (super important because of slip size) of 42'-50' and a price range of up to $150k, but preferably closer to $100k. Something a little bit like this: 1985 La Belle Marine Trader 43' Sundeck Trawler - BananaBelt Boats and Yachts in Anacortes, United States - BananaBelt Boats and Yachts

I really am looking for a broker who can help arrange for my wife and I to put "boots on boats" as I feel like we still need to see more boats before figuring out exactly what we want. I would also really be leaning on a broker to help us determine if a boat is "fit" to live-aboard (proper amenities) and is in fairly good shape mechanically and structurally. That's the part I feel I'd really struggle with.

Of course, once we find that "perfect" boat, I intend on finding the best surveyor I can.

Being new to the boating world, there is SO MUCH information I'm trying to pick up and retain, but I do love a good challenge!

Any and all thoughts and comments are welcome, I am here to learn!

Cheers,
- Jeff

We went through this process two years ago. Although we sold a smaller boat first, then used our selling broker (in Olympia) to be our buyers broker. He did a great job on both transactions. I am happy to share his name, John Bolender at Capital Yacht Sales in Olympia. (you can google the contact information if you would like)

A couple of things to point out. In the $100K price range and the size you are looking at. You will be buying a fixer upper in the PNW. If you go up to the $150K range, you will get a much less of a fixer upper. If you get a fixer upper, remember what you want to fix and have the skills to either learn how to fix or already know how to do so. Look for good engines, good fuel tanks, good running gear.

Living aboard in the PNW will take a 2 - 30 amp shore power cords to plug in to the dock (or a 50 amp service). Don't kid yourself that you can get through winter with only one 30 amp shore power cord. You will be burning it up. There is just too much demand for heat, cooking, water heating, battery charging to think you will be able to get through the winter with 30 amps of power. PUT it on your list of needs on the boat you intend to purchase. TRUST me on this one.

We bought the boat you are looking for. Although we did look a couple of La Belle's we chose a 41 ft Symbol Sundeck. It was in better shape and was almost 15" wider in the beam. Much roomier for living aboard in the winter months. It does everything you are wanting. Our ONLY complaint is getting on board from the dock and ALL the steps between levels on the boat. Honestly, this was my wife's preferred boat style. I would prefer a pilothouse style sedan. Easy to board from the dock, one level to 'live on', one level to run the boat from, and one level to sleep on. Not all the up and down between levels we have now. As we get older, we will switch to a different style boat. Even she is in agreement with this after living aboard for a year.

Good luck in your search! And remember that you will look at a lot of frogs before you find the boat that speaks to you.

Last edited:
I cannot speak highly enough of Jeff Merrill who acted as a buyers broker for us on our boat search and eventual purchase of our 53' Selene. He was recommended to us by another couple whom had recently made a purchase.

Jeff went far beyond what we expected in service both in front of and now after the sale. He was adamant that we look at as many boats as possible and warned us against falling in love with a boat to soon.

Jeff is based in Long Beach CA are but that made no difference as he makes regular trips to the northwest.

We are now 2 months into our ownership and Jeff is coming up to Portland to work with us on getting more comfortable handling the boat, making sure we are up to speed on all the other systems, and just generally make sure we are happy.

Jeff seems to truly enjoy his Job and it shows

Go read the section on the purchase process on his website its great information and he lives up to what it says!

A couple of things to point out. In the $100K price range and the size you are looking at. You will be buying a fixer upper in the PNW. If you go up to the $150K range, you will get a much less of a fixer upper. If you get a fixer upper, remember what you want to fix and have the skills to either learn how to fix or already know how to do so. Look for good engines, good fuel tanks, good running gear.

Living aboard in the PNW will take a 2 - 30 amp shore power cords to plug in to the dock (or a 50 amp service). Don't kid yourself that you can get through winter with only one 30 amp shore power cord. You will be burning it up. There is just too much demand for heat, cooking, water heating, battery charging to think you will be able to get through the winter with 30 amps of power. PUT it on your list of needs on the boat you intend to purchase. TRUST me on this one.

More excellent insight, thank you!

The power situation is definitely something I will pay close attention to and add to our list of "must haves".

In terms of the cost, while I'd love to stay in the $100k range, from what I have been seeing (and to your point), it looks like those boats would require much more servicing "up front" versus a $150k boat. While I fully realize there will be a substantial amount of maintenance and costs associated with owning a boat like this, it's definitely important to me that the critical systems (engine, hull, running gear, electronics) are all in good working order. I suppose that may mean heading up a bit in terms of budget.

I cannot speak highly enough of Jeff Merrill who acted as a buyers broker for us on our boat search and eventual purchase of our 53' Selene. He was recommended to us by another couple whom had recently made a purchase.

Jeff went far beyond what we expected in service both in front of and now after the sale. He was adamant that we look at as many boats as possible and warned us against falling in love with a boat to soon.

Jeff is based in Long Beach CA are but that made no difference as he makes regular trips to the northwest.

We are now 2 months into our ownership and Jeff is coming up to Portland to work with us on getting more comfortable handling the boat, making sure we are up to speed on all the other systems, and just generally make sure we are happy.

Jeff seems to truly enjoy his Job and it shows

Go read the section on the purchase process on his website its great information and he lives up to what it says!

Thank you Rmlow! THIS is the type of broker I want to work with. I'm a little hesitant due to him not being local, but if he's up in the PNW frequently enough, maybe it doesn't matter?

Question for you -- how many times did he come up and meet with you, show you boats, etc etc? I ask because I'm sort of assuming this is going to be quite the process and not a one or two trip sort of thing.

We Met with him 2-3 times prior to finding "the one" I travel a lot so the original meeting was is California. He does not accompany on all viewings. Customarily that is up to listing broker to show you through a boat however he will set up the viewings for you. Be prepared to travel a bit in your search.

We spoke almost daily receiving advice and assistance finding the right boats to look at. When we found the right one Jeff walked us through the entire process and traveled up to Washington to examine and also help us with survey and sea trial.

He will be coming to our home marina in early July for a few days to work with us further.

I think most of the boats he brokers are a little higher price point but if you look at his website you will find they are pretty diverse in range.

Wont hurt to give him a call he is very open and honest. We had bad experiences with 2 other brokers prior finding Jeff.

We went through this process two years ago. Although we sold a smaller boat first, then used our selling broker (in Olympia) to be our buyers broker. He did a great job on both transactions. I am happy to share his name, John Bolender at Capital Yacht Sales in Olympia. (you can google the contact information if you would like)

We bought the boat you are looking for. Although we did look a couple of La Belle's we chose a 41 ft Symbol Sundeck. It was in better shape and was almost 15" wider in the beam. Much roomier for living aboard in the winter months. It does everything you are wanting. Our ONLY complaint is getting on board from the dock and ALL the steps between levels on the boat. Honestly, this was my wife's preferred boat style. I would prefer a pilothouse style sedan. Easy to board from the dock, one level to 'live on', one level to run the boat from, and one level to sleep on. Not all the up and down between levels we have now. As we get older, we will switch to a different style boat. Even she is in agreement with this after living aboard for a year.

Good luck in your search! And remember that you will look at a lot of frogs before you find the boat that speaks to you.

A single 30 amp connection is completely doable for a liveaboard- I've done it. I took the time to shrink wrap the windows, and used the diesel heat on a regular basis.

On our current boat (twin 30 amp) we often have only 1 cord available when we cruise, and we don't suffer. It's just part of the lifestyle.

Ken Bowles, he was at Northwest Explorations. A real gentleman, sold me my first Grand Banks. If you find him, remind him that I bought JOMEKE from him. No regrets whatsoever.

Ken Bowles, he was at Northwest Explorations. A real gentleman, sold me my first Grand Banks. If you find him, remind him that I bought JOMEKE from him. No regrets whatsoever.

Thanks Xsbank!

I met one of the brokers from Northwest Explorations at TrawlerFest a month or so back. Of all the brokers I've met so far, I was most impressed with him. He answered all our questions and then some!

My only hesitation with Northwest Explorations is that we are in Seattle...but from what I'm learning, it sounds like it may not be 100% necessary to hire a broker who is RIGHT in your own backyard.

Does anyone have feedback when it comes to hiring a broker that is 75+ miles away from you? Any challenges or is it no biggie?

EDIT: I just saw that Ken is located in Seattle. Even better!

Last edited:
Xs. You are the one who bought JoMeKe from Ken!? Great boat! Can we expect you at the Rendezvous next year?

Jeff, I just sent you a PM about my CHB Ponderosa 42 Sundeck trawler I have for sale with transferrable live aboard slip in Ballard. The sundeck design as a live aboard is tough to beat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom