Old 06-14-2017, 05:00 PM   #22
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Do you know how the sail boat was equipped? I suspect that may account for a big chunk of the difference between the sail boat and equivalent passage maker. Does the sail boat have heat and air conditioning? A big watermaker so you can have more than a tea cup a day, and a shower per week? A fully equipped galley with dishwasher and trash compactor? laundry? Stabilizers? A full size marine generator and not something bought at home depot?

Although I'm poking at having a less comfortable passage maker, that's not really my point. My point is that if you reduced down the equipment on a 50' power passage maker to match the 50' sail boat's equipment, would the purchase price be a lot more the same? I think it would be a lot less. Maybe not the same, but a lot less.
You are probably right. They had a built in generator, but no laundry, or large house bank, or inverter. They did have a watermaker, but I dont remember what size.

These folks were not the minimalist sailboat types, nor frugal, but there is only so much room.

I was not fond of the living area inside. Every sailboat I see make port, first thing they do is empty the boat out and let everything dry out.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote