Thread: water ballast
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2017, 01:20 PM   #16
eyschulman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
Of the several "Lust For" boats in my mind are the Pilgrim and the Lord Nelson.

As I study the lines and listen to the stories, I come to the conclusion that had I obtained either, I would address the shallowness of the draft to the total dimensions with the thought of adding ballast much in the manner although perhaps not the percentage of weight, that I applied to our boat. It is unbelievable the difference the deep weight makes to the sea motions.

I recall my days on a real tugs where the fuel capacity was such that with full tanks fuel and water, the ride was just wonderful when in modest to somewhat heavy water. The rig just drove through the seas with no regard for reactions such as our light craft exhibit . Ballast in a common sense increment installation proved a winner for us .

Al-Ketchikan
My experience with the pilgrim is such that I do not consider it a good open water boat and the designer builder told me so. If I owned it in the PNW I would deepen the keel and put some form of roll stabilization on the boat probably a gyroscopic system. It would still not be an open water boat but much more comfortable.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote