1985 90 hp Yamaha Outboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art

Guru
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Looking to learn other's experiences with 1985 90 hp Yamaha Outboard. Or, Yamaha o/b's of that era in general. This one has a gentle 495 hrs. on it. Any input is appreciated! ;)

Having the Yamaha described above... I've chance to purchase really nice condition, 1985, one owner, 16' Glastron runabout to be used as a tow behind our Tollycraft. :D

For many years we've had a great time using our 1975 14'8" Crestliner 50 hp. Johnson runabout as tow behind. It is time to get something just a little bit roomier as well as more stable for getting in/out of at swim-step and floating docks. :thumb:

Happy Boating Daze! - Art:speed boat:

I'm assuming this is a 2 stroker, 3 cylinder model. For the most part this engine is bullet proof. Had one on a flat bottom fresh water, fishing and camp hauler. Wish I still had it. USE only non-ethanol gas, motor not made for ethanol added fuel.

I'm assuming this is a 2 stroker, 3 cylinder model. For the most part this engine is bullet proof. Had one on a flat bottom fresh water, fishing and camp hauler. Wish I still had it. USE only non-ethanol gas, motor not made for ethanol added fuel.

Thanks rc - Yup 2 cycle "Precision Blend" Yamaha. Oil-injection container on engine rather than adding oil to the gas tanks. From what I understand it was Mercs that had some failures of this oil injection process... due to plastic gears breaking down.

Also, from what I've heard, to be sure and not ever have the oil-needs of a 2 cycle not met sufficiently... that the oil-injector feature can be disabled and adding oil to gas tank comes back into play.

Thanks rc - Yup 2 cycle "Precision Blend" Yamaha. Oil-injection container on engine rather than adding oil to the gas tanks. From what I understand it was Mercs that had some failures of this oil injection process... due to plastic gears breaking down.

Also, from what I've heard, to be sure and not ever have the oil-needs of a 2 cycle not met sufficiently... that the oil-injector feature can be disabled and adding oil to gas tank comes back into play.

That's what we did, worked fine.

I'd get married to it if I were you Art.

I had a Suzuki 25hp 3cyl and it developed a crankcase seal leak.
Had a two cyl 25hp Suzuki that was great. An early Suzuki that was a rich metallic blue w a cream/white hood. It had a sand cast powerhead.

I now have a 60hp Suzuki 4 stroke. The first 4 cyl 4 stroke (I think). About a 2000. It's a wonderful engine but is very heavy. Big prop and low gear ratio. It's sat for most of it's life (all w me) but still has never ever not run perfectly.

I'd get married to it if I were you Art.

I had a Suzuki 25hp 3cyl and it developed a crankcase seal leak.
Had a two cyl 25hp Suzuki that was great. An early Suzuki that was a rich metallic blue w a cream/white hood. It had a sand cast powerhead.

I now have a 60hp Suzuki 4 stroke. The first 4 cyl 4 stroke (I think). About a 2000. It's a wonderful engine but is very heavy. Big prop and low gear ratio. It's sat for most of it's life (all w me) but still has never ever not run perfectly.

Gotta bring my wife to the engagement party! There are reasons... Then again, I could just buy the boat/engine; then invite wifey out on a date!! With my/our new runabout girl friend! lol :dance:

I've got the 2004 90hp. The only really odd thing is the cold start procedure. If like mine there is no choke. The middle carb gets a fuel enrichment valve assy. Throttle must be in idle and a hard primer bulb. Thats my input.

I've got the 2004 90hp. The only really odd thing is the cold start procedure. If like mine there is no choke. The middle carb gets a fuel enrichment valve assy. Throttle must be in idle and a hard primer bulb. Thats my input.

1985 90 hp. Yamaha has electric choke switch on control panel. Same as our current 1975 50 hp. Johnson.

Back
Top Bottom