Tall folding director chair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
Anybody use one of these for a helm chair ? How do you like it ?

Attachments

• IMG_3031.jpg
    IMG_3031.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 127
I have 2 similar for the counter next to the helm.

My helm seat is pretty uncomfortable so sometimes I sit in the folding directors chair and use the autopilot remote.

They are pretty wobbly, but in calm waters, they work fine as mine are pretty comfy.

Greetings,
Mr. PM. I bought a similar but less robust unit quite similar to that from Pier 1 imports (less than $100). Bottom line was a complete waste of money for the chair I bought. Great until the canvas stretched (after 2 days) and the joint's loosened up (about 3 days). I eventually bought something similar to this:

th

Yes, doesn't stow very well AND it's tippy in rougher seas but for $42, far superior to the Pier 1 directors chair.

$.02-

Greetings,
Mr. PM. I bought a similar but less robust unit quite similar to that from Pier 1 imports (less than $100). Bottom line was a complete waste of money for the chair I bought. Great until the canvas stretched (after 2 days) and the joint's loosened up (about 3 days). I eventually bought something similar to this:

th

Yes, doesn't stow very well AND it's tippy in rougher seas but for $42, far superior to the Pier 1 directors chair.

$.02-
I suspect that is 100 percent correct... :)

We had one on our last boat & have 2 on our current boat for helm chairs below & they're just fine. Not stable in large seas but nothing that isn't secured would be. The foot rest is kind of flimsy & isn't designed to support your weight if you stand on it plus it needs to be removed if you want the chairs to fold but for the $$ they're fine. Lot's of choices on the canvas (sold separately) which is nice.

Attachments

• helm chairs.jpg
    helm chairs.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 99
We have something similar but with a hard (wood) cushioned seat and back, and a bit more substantial in overall build. I think we got it at Christmas Tree Shops or some such for something like $35. I don't run from the lower helm much, but it stows well and does the job. No room to put in a mounted seat, and if it's that rough I'll be standing anyway.

Edit: Just looked it up, It was Christmas Tree Shops, under $32. I don't see it on their web site now, however.

Last edited:
Anybody use one of these for a helm chair ? How do you like it ?

We used one on our 34' Mainship and even added a booster to that. I was surprised how often we folded it up. It was a cheap and easy helm chair. I did have to re-glue the pegs after about 2 years. It probably would have been less effort to just go by a replacement.

Have one and love it. Easy to put exactly where I want it and just as easy to move. On top of that it is comfortable. Highly recommend something similar.

4 lines from the seat bottom joined together with an eye can be lead to a deck pad to make tipping over less likely.

We used one on our 34' Mainship and even added a booster to that. I was surprised how often we folded it up. It was a cheap and easy helm chair. I did have to re-glue the pegs after about 2 years. It probably would have been less effort to just go by a replacement.
I just ordered one from Defender . It's kinda pricey. I hope it doesn't crowd the wheelhouse too much . Should have it Thursday regular ups .
Im taking my first full week off in years . This time it's not for the hospital. We are planning a decent
(for us ) trip on William . Green Turtle Bay and south on the Cumberland a little ways . I wanted to go to Nashville but just not enough time off YET !

Last edited:
Last edited:
When using the upper helm becomes uncomfortable I move to lower station in our 34 Mainship MK1. I wanted a helm seat that was removable, stable and easy to set up and stow. Here's what I came up with. Its held in place with dowels on seat fitting into a support mounted on starboard saloon wall. The bottom of the leg support has dowels that fit the same in saloon floor.The top of support fits into a channel built into seat. The back and be reversed to look aft. All wood was milled out of a plank of saple mahogany. Set up and disassembly about 1.5 minutes tops. Stowing stacked together is 5.25 and fits neatly out of our way at the end of couch. Being 5'6" I needed a high seat 39" for visibility and a stool to reach seat.

Attachments

• IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 102
When using the upper helm becomes uncomfortable I move to lower station in our 34 Mainship MK1. I wanted a helm seat that was removable, stable and easy to set up and stow. Here's what I came up with. Its held in place with dowels on seat fitting into a support mounted on starboard saloon wall. The bottom of the leg support has dowels that fit the same in saloon floor.The top of support fits into a channel built into seat. The back and be reversed to look aft. All wood was milled out of a plank of saple mahogany. Set up and disassembly about 1.5 minutes tops. Stowing stacked together is 5.25 and fits neatly out of our way at the end of couch. Being 5'6" I needed a high seat 39" for visibility and a stool to reach seat.
Very nice .

I inherited a folding directors chair with the boat. Threw it away after six months. Not at all stable in even a small sea. I was worried about liability if a guest was sitting in it and we encountered a large wake as you do from time to time. I wouldn't even bring it out if we were heading outside.

A guest can get injured 1000 ways from a bad wake that goes unannounced.

Tough to worry about everything, just be proactive.

We all boat in different water, but I wouldn't have any type of seating on he boat that isn't bolted down. I don't worry about liability; just people getting hurt.

Actually - I lied. We sometimes use bean bags. But they haven't tipped over yet.

I used to have a 4 legged stool for a lower helm seat. I took it out as it just took up room and wasn't very stable or comfortable.

I do have 3 director chairs for hanging out on the aft deck with cocktails.

A guest can get injured 1000 ways from a bad wake that goes unannounced.

Tough to worry about everything, just be proactive.

LOL. I was proactive. I threw the chair away.

I can't even wrap my head around a tall directors chair. I prefer to go out in open water and it is not even an option in decent seas. If I had one on my last trip, it would have wound up in the ocean along with the small folding table I lost.

I can't even wrap my head around a tall directors chair. I prefer to go out in open water and it is not even an option in decent seas. If I had one on my last trip, it would have wound up in the ocean along with the small folding table I lost.
Its pretty smooth most times on the river for us . If it gets goofy I won't use the chair. If I like it and see that it needs strapping down I will do it . I've been on some funky heart medicine the last year that's been causing my feet and ankles to swell . I hate but the dr says I need it . Standing for long periods makes it worse .
We do some pretty light weight boating compared to most of you here.

Tall chairs are less stable. Not something I'd want on my boat.

Its pretty smooth most times on the river for us . If it gets goofy I won't use the chair. If I like it and see that it needs strapping down I will do it . I've been on some funky heart medicine the last year that's been causing my feet and ankles to swell . I hate but the dr says I need it . Standing for long periods makes it worse .
We do some pretty light weight boating compared to most of you here.

Traveling from NJ to Fl and back every year...I would say that I can use the chairs 90 percent or more of the transit.

Of course it depends if I leave on a 25 knot wind day...which I usually dont...but they are few and far between on days it matters.

I see Pack Mule. I'm sorry about the medication.

It just sounds so crazy to me. My fly bridge and lower helm chairs are both bolted down and if they weren't, they would be now! Took on 5-7 foot seas starboard for almost 3 hours. Everything that wasn't bolted down went flying.

I've got these two for sale again after both buyers were no show's. $150 each, bith worked well in my boat but I installed a big buck Stidd unit. You pick up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Strong wakes from ferries, tugboats, and some recreational trawlers can create havoc even in still waters! I'll stay away (not on my boat) from that kind of chair even if I had the space.

Not a big deal....

An observant and savy skipper knows when the use of a chair like that is usable or not.

They should also csll out dangerous wakes for the sitters to stand and hold the chairs.

No rocket science here.

If you need a helm chair for all conditions, then yes, there are more suitable ones.

I also have a tall Telescope directors chair at the lower helm inherited from the PO. Surprisingly it has yet to come close to falling over. If a large wake comes, (and we have been waked by the best) I simply shift my weight to the footrest by partially standing on it until the waves pass.

Back
Top Bottom