View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 07:10 AM   #1
Mrwesson

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Lets talk power upgrades for the Perkins 354

I know it's a taboo subject in most trawler circles but it seems there's reliable power to be had in tractor/tractor pull/truck swap circles.

Why would you want more power?

Some of us have semi displacement hulls like the Mainship which can plane.

I'm personally not that interested in speed but sometimes things happen and you need to get out of the way. The mainship isn't the best open water boat.

Things i've read about.

The perkins is very tough and i've read reports of tractor pull guys running them so hot they are belching fire out of the exhaust 1' high.. That's alot of heat/boost.

If you want to make power you need to monitor temps. Exhaust temp is a good start I think more sensors the better(oil/exhaust/head).

Holset H1c will make a little bit more power at the lower rpm's but as a whole you need to add fuel to make power. I'm probably going to swap one of these whether I decide to add power or not.. @ $300 used its a no brainer for me(i'll keep the other for a backup).

The Cav pump can be turned up for more power on a smaller level(if you just need 20hp or so). This and a holset H1c would probably make most people happy(my plan so far).

Some info below about the Cav pump. I haven't even sifted through it yet but could help some people with rebuilding it/understanding it.
http://www.fujiyachts.net/manuals/CA...d%20Manual.pdf
This is a quote and not to be used without knowledge/research. I'm not even sure if it's correct USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Quote:
Here is a tweaking formula I found for them. If I found a smaller replacement for my boat, I'm tempted to pull all the marine parts and convert back to automotive components. I don't know if its the firing sequence or what but these things really sound good.

3. Using an 8mm wrench, remove the fuel cover plate. Be careful to not tear the rubber gasket behind it. Fuel will pour out of the injection pump until it is empty. Looking inside the injector pump, you will see a thick disc with letters stamped on it, spaced out around the outer edge. You will also see the two bolts that hold it in place.

4.You will need to rotate the engine by hand, in order to access one bolt at a time. Remove the first bolt with an 8mm wrench (they are very tight) and use needle nose pliers to draw the bolt out of the injection pump. DO NOT drop the bolt in the injection pump, or you will have to fish it out with a magnet, and it's very hard to do.
5.Rotate engine by hand to gain access to the other bolt and remove it with an 8mm wrench. You may need to use a small screw driver to hold the thick plate up, so that you can remove the second bolt, as it continues to loosen out.

6. Look up above the thick plate, after it has dropped down the splined shaft, you will see a thin plate with four large slots in it, and two holes for the bolts to go through.
7. Viewed from the top of the injection pump (opposite of driven end) rotate the plate with a screwdriver clockwise. You have to do full turns because the bolt holes in the plate have to line back up.

8. Reinstall bolts one at a time. You will need to use a screwdriver to push up on the bolt, and use needle nose pliers to screw it in at the same time. Tighten one bolt down tight, then turn engine over by hand to access other hole. Reinstall and tighten second bolt.

9. Rotate engine over by hand again, and double check tightness of bolts.

10. Reinstall rubber gasket and fuel cover plate, along with the two 8mm bolts.

11. Using a 16mm wrench, crack all of the injector lines on the top of the injection pump open.

12. Open fuel shut off valve on bottom of fuel tank.

13. Bleed air from injection pump by cranking engine over until fuel shoots out of fittings.

14. Tighten fittings back up and start engine. Enjoy your new found power.
I've read about people getting rid of the Cav pump because it wont flow enough fuel and replacing it with a Stanadyne or Roosamaster injection pump but I haven't got far into that.

I've also read people installing electric fuel pumps to "help" the lift pump which isn't all that great. Smoother power and less smoke but wont make more power.

"open up the exhaust" No idea how this can be done on a boat(or if it can be done) and turn up the Cav pump slightly. Apparently the truck guys say this is good for about 200hp.

Some info here
Hello, On to Perkins 6354 Swap to a Ford 1985 F250 4X4
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote