Old 06-11-2017, 11:31 AM   #27
ranger58sb
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurc View Post
I think it is a Kubota but the parts needed are specific to marine (Coolant Pump
And Raw Water pump), they are available but need to be ordered from the factory and just this service looks like it would cost 4-5k... at that point why not get a right sized genset as I know the 20kw is overkill even with full load.
I'm new to larger boats so am making two assumptions 1) 30 year newer gensets and gotten quieter 2) high quality sets with industrial engines will still last 30+ years if bought new today.

That seems high, to me. Maybe get a cost break-down for parts versus labor. Labor is usually impacted by access, too... so if you look at your unit and can tell the coolant pump is way behind, completely inaccessible... than maybe lack of access would be loading more labor hours into the project.

OTOH, if both pumps are reasonably accessible, replacing those with new could maybe turn out to be no big deal.

For example, I could probably change our genset's raw water pump in a couple hours or so... and one of the techs here can usually cut my time in at least half, sometimes thirds (since they have a clue, and I have to learn as I go). But even if it turned out to be 3 hours of tech's labor, that'd only be about $300.

I suspect your assumptions about newer units are OK, but OTOH, I'd expect your current system to still be good for lots o' years too, if the parts issue is not insurmountable.

Is yours in a sound shield? If not, could maybe be that a box could tame noise levels... (at some expense to access, of course).

Don't think it's a bad idea to right-size your genset. Think I'd lean toward that instead of adding another smaller one (another system to maintain). But I also think maybe neither of those is absolutely necessary, pending parts and potentially other methods of sound abatement.

-Chris