Old 06-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #7
Ski in NC
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
For disassembly:

Drain coolant from block and manifold

Slacken rocker adjusters. Remove rocker shaft as a unit. Remove pushrods and sharpie mark location (I number them 1-12)

Remove fuel return rail and injection lines and fitting that pass through side of head. Remove injectors, sharpie their location 1-6

Remove intake/exhaust manifold and coolant head tank

The way I remove head bolts is to use torque sequence (roughly, start at center and work towards the ends), and loosen a bolt, then tighten it about half of final spec. When all are at half, then go back and take them all the way loose. This gradually and evenly relaxes the load, making exact sequence not too important.

Set up a-frame and rig head off. Initial lift usually needs a pry tool to break gasket bond. I like rigging them off so no chance to have it get out of control and bang around.

Once off, oil up cylinder walls to prevent rust. Vacuum any coolant out of cylinders. Keep a towel over block if not working.

There will be little brackets, hoses, etc to deal with, not discussed here. In general, you want head stripped of all removable stuff prior to machine shop, or you may not get them back!!

No manual at hand, going off memory.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote