Willard 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks nice. I've never seen one of these engines in a boat . Very clean . I like those Willards .

It is a very pretty boat. But yes, I wonder about the engine. It says Pleasurecraft. I thought they made gassers. Looks like a V8. Could it be a NA DD 8.2?

David

I love the boat!

The only challenge I have from the get go is who made the engine, and even more so who supplies parts fr it?

I don't remember the details, but that engine didn't have a good reputation in boats. JD 4045 was the last engine willard used in that boat, far better choice.

Ted

The price seems high given the high-time engine, older electronics and no stabilizers, but I suppose that is where the negotiations will begin. An engine survey by someone who was familiar with the brand/model would seem essential. Any idea how long it has been marketed?

Where's FF?

He's the one that knows these IH engines.
It's the perfect Willard configuration (PH).
Not a bad price either all things considered.

I'd bite but I don't like the huge size and If I got another boat it would be smaller.

I don't remember the details, but that engine didn't have a good reputation in boats. JD 4045 was the last engine willard used in that boat, far better choice.

Ted

My inlaws own the last Willard 40 made a 2001 model. It has a 110 hp Cummins 5.9.
Bruce

The 9.0 liter IH was a very common engine. Being curious I went to boatdiesel and head gasket issues were the only listed problem area. New gasket design solved problem. Marinization pieces like RW pumps, exhaust manifolds and coolant circulation pump would have to be determined for availability.

Nice boat and the engine wouldn't deter me one bit. Offer a price for dealing with engine 101 checks and servicing 100% and somebody will be happy. The Furuno gear looks good and is likely still supported.

My inlaws own the last Willard 40 made a 2001 model. It has a 110 hp Cummins 5.9.
Bruce
Yes I was checking that one out on YW the other day . Think they would like a 110 year old vacation home in a sleepy little town in Tn., twenty minutes from the TN River do you ? Heck I might even throw in a 32 ft trawler for them to cruise with while they're here .:)

Attachments

• IMG_2649.jpg
    IMG_2649.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 146
Yes I was checking that one out on YW the other day . Think they would like a 110 year old vacation home in a sleepy little town in Tn., twenty minutes from the TN River do you ? Heck I might even throw in a 32 ft trawler for them to cruise with while they're here .:)

Their boat is under contract actually.
Sea trials in two days. We met the people who have the deposit on it when we were in Anacortes. That is where it will live in the future. Funny how these things work...
Bruce

Their boat is under contract actually.
Sea trials in two days. We met the people who have the deposit on it when we were in Anacortes. That is where it will live in the future. Funny how these things work...
Bruce
It's a nice one for sure . IMHO the fit and finish is about as nice as it gets . Just how I like it .

Bruce

Bruce, I believe you are mistaken. The last Willard 40 was Aloha. It has a JD 4045 in it. I nearly bought it. The man who oversaw the recreational division of Willard, had it made for himself.

It was in La Pas, Mexico in 2014 when I went to look at it.

Ted

Bruce, I believe you are mistaken. The last Willard 40 was Aloha. It has a JD 4045 in it. I nearly bought it. The man who oversaw the recreational division of Willard, had it made for himself.

It was in La Pas, Mexico in 2014 when I went to look at it.

Ted

I believe you are correct!
Theirs is the other one of two built.
You learn something new....
Bruce

looks like the predecessor to the t444 or 7.3 powerstroke(ford).

7.3l idi

The Willard 40 is featured in the book Voyaging Under Power by R Bebe. Considered to be somewhat of an early bible for passagemakers. I have a copy and consider it worth reading and halving as a reference. I've refered to it many times here on TF.

Wow...one of the nicest I've seen. The IH 9 liter wouldn't deter me. That engine was best in medium duty, steady RPM utility applications. Yeah, head gaskets and oil leaks were a bit of a problem, but this engine was late enough to probably have the improvements. Overall, I think a marine application might be the best kind of load for the 9 liter or any of the DV predecessors, and with unlimited cooling, hot spots and gasket failure are less of an issue, IMO. I'd be more concerned with who marinized it. A beauty though.

The Yachtworld ad is long gone. I'm curious which 40 PH it was, name ? We just bought an '84 Willard 40 PH in Channel Islands Harbor last November. -Sven

That is a very nice boat and realistically priced. But the name would have to go, pronto..

pete

That is a very nice boat and realistically priced. But the name would have to go, pronto..

pete

do you know what it translates to?

I think it fits pretty well, even better for a Diesel Duck

HOLLYWOOD

This is an amazing price for this boat. She looks to be lightly used with few modifications/butcher jobs. These are relatively small PH boats as they were built with side decks on both sides. But they are solid cruisers with 7000 lbs of ballast giving it a nice, soft ride. Fuel tank is athwartship beneath the PH sole which does two things: First, because it's in the center of the boat, trim does not change as fuel is burned. Second, with no saddle tanks, it frees-up the engine room for equipment. Some have installed a Splendide W/D in the ER.

Engine selection is the only possible demerit I can envision - Pleasure Craft is a marinized IH engine. These IH engines have a good reputation in commercial OTR use, but are few and far between in marinized applications. Some frustration is to be expected when/if the time comes for major service.

Someone will get a very nice, capable, true trawler for a steal. When you do, join us at Willard Boat Owners Group https://willardboatowners.groups.io/g/main

Peter (Moderator, WBO)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom