commercial use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newbe

Veteran Member
would like to know how hard is it to get a boat classed for commercial use like say a b&b or river tours can anyone give me a idea im talking a boat 60 ft or less thanks sam

Best to get with the USCG marine inspection office for your area and discuss what you want to do with what boat.

Appears to me it has much to do about whether the boat if built stateside or overseas and has the necessary equipment. There is also the matter of the skipper's licensing.

I looked seriously into that about 15 years ago. Was going to outfit a 65' classic Stephens and have it for paid tours as well as for entertaining my associates when desired. Figured I could not only offset costs of company entertainment but maybe even make that into a business with some profit to boot.

Don't know about rules and regulations as well as competitor severity where you are... but... in SF Bay Area there are hassles I did not want to tackle.

Good Luck!

would like to know how hard is it to get a boat classed for commercial use like say a b&b or river tours can anyone give me a idea im talking a boat 60 ft or less thanks sam

Lots of variables in your question that will affect the answer you seek;

• Is the vessel US built or foreign built?
  • How many passengers are you looking to carry?
  • What waterways do you intend to operate on?
  • etc, etc, etc

Need more info- it's not as easy as just putting forth a number...

If the boat is US built and you are a licensed Captain and you want to carry no more than 6 passengers in US waters only, then it's a moderate amount of effort but can be fairly easily accomplished working with the inspection officer as psneeld mentioned.

If any of the qualifications I mentioned above are not met, then it quickly becomes far more complicated.

Whats the issue re US or foreign built?

Whats the issue re US or foreign built?

The Jones Act in US law. It prohibits carrying passengers or cargo between US ports on anything other than a US built & flagged boat. Apparently it's possible to get exemptions, but I don't know any details about it.

You'll also want to have chat with your insurance company to find out what it'll cost you to change your use of the boat from "personal/pleasure only" to "commercial" and/or whether they even write commercial coverage.

Read carefully before using an LLC, I found out they dont protect you if you are the captain.

I had one as a delivery captain till I educated myself and realuzed they didnt protect me if I was involved in the operations being sued against.

That would likely be a question for USCG, if you envision more than 6 pax or not.

If so, they publish ""inspected vessel" standards and all those are on their website, NVDC I think (or at least you can get to them from there). And then it's about which of those standards your candidate boat doesn't yet meet, and what it would take to get there from here.

FWIW, a local fishing charter wanted to carry more pax than his uninspected vessel could handle (i.e., more than 6), so he thought to have that boat upgraded to inspected. Turned out he decided it was cheaper (a lot!) to just sell his current boat and then buy an already-inspected vessel that would meet his fishing requirements.

OTOH, if you're thinking 6 pax or less... that would be easier. B&B answered that, post #7. Factoids about that on the USCG sites, too.

-Chris

thanks for all the responses it is a usa built but no more than 6 people dont know if it would be worth it ok for a b&b but to do tours on a river thats another question thanks all sam

Sam, please don't be offended...

But, years ago I knew a boat owner who...

For six paying persons... or less... had a couple "special" gals to hostess for the "boys"! Price more than quintuples on those cruises. :dance: :facepalm: :lol:

...dont know if it would be worth it ok for a b&b...

As long as you're ok with repeatedly having to come to the boat in the middle of night to unclog the toilet(s) into which your paying guests flushed wet wipes, condoms and/or tampons, it should be ok.

thanks for all the responses it is a usa built but no more than 6 people dont know if it would be worth it ok for a b&b but to do tours on a river thats another question thanks all sam

River tours- if you are on a federally navigable waterway, you'll need a USCG captains license to legally run charters. A 6 pack vessel that is of US manufacture is no problem.

On the other hand, if you are on land locked waterways (that cannot be navigated to federally controlled waterways), then state law takes precendence, and a USCG license may not be required.

B&B- as an underwriter, I have very stringent requirements before I will offer coverage on a fleet managed dockside B&B:
  • All cooking fuels must be removed (except diesel)
  • Diesel stoves must be disabled
  • The vessel must be secured so it cannot get underway under the command of the guests. Removing the keys does not count.
  • The manager must either live in the marina or be within 5-10 min drive from the marina.

I don't offer coverage in individual B&B risks. The loss history on these types of risks is generally very high.

River tours- if you are on a federally navigable waterway, you'll need a USCG captains license to legally run charters. A 6 pack vessel that is of US manufacture is no problem.

On the other hand, if you are on land locked waterways (that cannot be navigated to federally controlled waterways), then state law takes precendence, and a USCG license may not be required.

B&B- as an underwriter, I have very stringent requirements before I will offer coverage on a fleet managed dockside B&B:

• All cooking fuels must be removed (except diesel)
  • Diesel stoves must be disabled
  • The vessel must be secured so it cannot get underway under the command of the guests. Removing the keys does not count.
  • The manager must either live in the marina or be within 5-10 min drive from the marina.

I don't offer coverage in individual B&B risks. The loss history on these types of risks is generally very high.

Are electric stoves allowed Peter?

Yes, I'm ok with electric stoves, especially induction cooktops. The key is no open flames.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom