California boating card

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giggitoni

Guru
Vessel Name
Mahalo Moi
Vessel Make
1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I, for one, am glad to see this. Starting January 1, 2018 we'll phase in a demonstration of boating knowledge. We'll have to show a bit of proficiency to operate a boat. Right now, anyone in California can operate a boat. All they need is a checkbook!

Q: When will operators be required to have a Boater Card?
A: The new requirement will begin on Jan. 1, 2018 for all persons 20 years of age and younger who operate a motorized vessel on state waterways. On that date these boaters will be required to carry a boater card issued by DBW, unless they meet certain exemptions stated below.*
Each year after January 2018, a new age group will be added to those who are required to possess a valid card. By 2025, all persons who operate a motorized vessel on California waters will be required to have one. Once issued, the card remains valid for a boat operator’s lifetime. California Harbors and Navigation Code Section 678.11(b) contains the following phase-in schedule based on operator age:
• January 1, 2018 Persons 20 years of age or younger
• January 1, 2019 Persons 25 years of age or younger
• January 1, 2020 Persons 35 years of age or younger
• January 1, 2021 Persons 40 years of age or younger
• January 1, 2022 Persons 45 years of age or younger
• January 1, 2023 Persons 50 years of age or younger
• January 1, 2024 Persons 60 years of age or younger
• January 1, 2025 All persons regardless of age
*California age restrictions for operating a motorized vessel: According to California Harbors and Navigation Code Section 658.5, NO person under 16 years of age may operate a boat with a motor of more than 15 horsepower, except for a sailboat that does not exceed 30 feet in length or a dinghy used directly between a moored boat and the shore (or between two moored boats). The law allows children 12-15 years of age to operate boats with a motor of more than 15 horsepower or sailboats over 30 feet if supervised on board by an adult at least 18 years of age. Violating these provisions constitutes and infraction.

Last edited:
You're probably right. At least the government can get their hands into our pockets once again.

I think its a good idea particularly for the younger boaters. Similar to when I got my drivers license after I did drivers ed. I was able to drive 6 months sooner by law and a year earlier because of parental guidelines and I did learn something.

After 15 years of teaching the NJ course...the biggest thing I see as a benefit is the card is something that can be taken away from bad boaters. Because it is a requirement...stiffer fines or sentences can be applied.

As far as changing behavior....it might take a decade or more.

This is another one of those great ideas that makes loads of sense in theory......but will probably be useless in application.

This is another one of those great ideas that makes loads of sense in theory......but will probably be useless in application.
Not at all...it is a great idea...just not going to proliferate boating knowledge...as my post indicates.

Without a safety certificate or license, how do you penalize a bad boater?

Last edited:
Another money grab by jerry and his minions. RENTAL boaters are exempt. How safe is that? Then jerry wants to tax our canoes and kayaks. It is ALL about the money.

Another money grab by jerry and his minions. RENTAL boaters are exempt. How safe is that? Then jerry wants to tax our canoes and kayaks. It is ALL about the money.
If like most states, the requirements for the courses don't add much if at all....like NJ.... to the state coffers.

Without more research...Boat US states that you can get certified in CA for free if you do their online course.

Last edited:
I think it is a great idea. No, it won't solve everything. However it does demonstrate that at the very least the boater has reviewed the material. WA state has been doing this for a while. It is not expensive to get a WA boating education card and it isn't expensive for the state to administer. It does provide LEOs a legit reason to pull an idiot off the water if they don't happen to have their card with them.

Just because an idea won't solve all ills doesn't make it a bad idea. Every new requirement from a government entity is NOT simply an attempt to get money from you.

The law allows children 12-15 years of age to operate boats with a motor of more than 15 horsepower or sailboats over 30 feet if supervised on board by an adult at least 18 years of age

LOL. As I see it here in Australia the above make up 50% of our water ways problems the other 50% is Jet skis

In Ontario we have the same requirement for a boating card. The problem is it also is somewhat useless as you can write it online so there's no security as to who is actually writing the exam.

Not sure this will apply to me since I'd be 78 if I'm not still "kicking" when the requirement applies. Nevertheless, I'm undaunted since receiving a 100% grade on the basic Power Squadron test five years ago (as well as the state's firearms test.) Yes, I know I'd need to take another test. ... Does anyone really expect increased compliance with the ColRegs?

Last edited:
... Does anyone really expect increased compliance the ColRegs?

I would say that if boating in WA is an example, then the answer is NO. I have seen all sorts of large and small boats do stupid things in just the past year. :socool: Things that were taught in the two evening course that my wife and I took to get the boating card. The lack of knowledge and following the rules of the road is amazing.

True...but before the issuance of some sort of card or license, what could an LEO do?Easy Peezy to see that.... why the hard sell that it will "educate people" when those of us in the business know better?

As I see it here in Australia the above make up 50% of our water ways problems the other 50% is Jet skis

Fortunately, don't see much of this activity here. (Waters are often rough. Doesn't apply to deep in the Delta.)

Just another "feel good" lib law that will have no effect.

Maybe, maybe not....no or small cost to taxpayers in some states that have implemented....and only time will tell...

What is the downside? Making people actually prove they can spell boat?

so what happens in Washington if an Oregon boater ventures in WA waters ??

In NJ, if you can not prove any source of boating safety training...you are kindly asked to leave.....and even then I will bet there is little or no pressure if out of state and you look/act like an experienced cruiser..

Ray, am I missing something? I don't see anything in what you put above that talks about proficiency in operating a boat, only that they can pass a test.

In WA you have to have a "Boater Safety Card" to operate a boat. Or at least someone on board must have one. No proficiency test required.

Just another "feel good" lib law that will have no effect.

The legislatures of WA, CA, and a bunch of other states just should have asked you before they wasted their time.

Without more research...Boat US states that you can get certified in CA for free if you do their online course.
I took & passed their course in 2010 and am a card carrying Boat US graduate! :dance:My grand son did the same thing at 13 years old. I think it's a good idea and its time has come. I actually learned a lot from the online course. :blush:

Edit: Sorry about the photo but I can't seem to straighten it out!

Attachments

• IMG_2651.jpg
    IMG_2651.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
So, why not manually-powered boats? Should they be condemned to ignorance?

Riding another (in this case my) boat's wave!! You're crowding me and limiting my ability to maneuver in order to cannibalize my boat's energy. Next time I'll make a 360-degree turn to port to avoid this guy.

Last edited:
I doubt this will make Calif. any safer place to go boating. Wasn't it a couple of years ago that the Coast Guard, in San Diego ran over another boat. It is also going to be interesting to see if the law is enforced equally across the fleet. I doubt that they will stop a large yacht to see if the operator has a license, but bet they will stop me if I take my small trawler to San Diego Bay to enjoy. With an Unlimited Masters License, as well as a 100T Master of sail upon oceans.. I also doubt that anyone enforcing the law, has anywhere near those licenses.

I think it is a way for Jerry to get a bit deeper into the citizens pockets. With more people boating there are bound to be more accidents

It is usually free enterprise making the money, not the state.

In NJ, if you have a USCG license, you don't have to take the course, but have to carry your license like the card. No big deal now that we have passport like books, unless on a jet ski.

Even having a master's unlimited doesn't make someone a safer skipper....there are accidents and convicted masters at all levels.

With smaller vessels it is experience and attitude that mostly affects boating safety and yes, no short course will improve much.

I don't see what the negative side is regarding the requirement of having a boat licence. Sure, it would be better if there was a skill based exam for the type of boat you would be operating, but a basic licence card is a good first step.

We have a similar basic licence in South Australia, but without the loopholes. It is a requirement for any boat with an engine. Even a dinghy with a 2 hp outboard. Hopefully, in the future there will be a range of boat licences similar to what they have for motor vehicles and a practical test to ensure the operator can handle the boat safely. Our boat licence requires payment of a small fee (I think it was $20) but it lasts a lifetime unless it is taken away. Its all good.

I don't see what the negative side is regarding the requirement of having a boat licence. Sure, it would be better if there was a skill based exam for the type of boat you would be operating, but a basic licence card is a good first step.

We have a similar basic licence in South Australia, but without the loopholes. It is a requirement for any boat with an engine. Even a dinghy with a 2 hp outboard. Hopefully, in the future there will be a range of boat licences similar to what they have for motor vehicles and a practical test to ensure the operator can handle the boat safely. Our boat licence requires payment of a small fee (I think it was $20) but it lasts a lifetime unless it is taken away. Its all good.

Aussies should know the downside to taxes.. It's gotten crazy expensive just to breathe air there.

Boater ID card? No problem its a good idea but IMO should be free or just the cost of the card but it wont be and they'll want renewal fees/etc. Sure its just $10 here and there but it adds up.

So are they concerned about public safety or money grab?

A few points:

- Please don't call it a "license." A license can be revoked. A license can carry an annual renewal fee, which can turn into a cash cow. This is a one-time, proof-of-education card.

- The state probably won't make money on this. I haven't read the CA law, but usually the Power Squadron and CG Auxiliary courses, which are based on a national standard, are accepted. Often private businesses lobby the state to be included, too.

- Passing an exam doesn't make you a safe boater. Still, it forces people to understand that there ARE laws on the water, and more importantly, that they don't know it all. If every boater is exposed to those two concepts, we're all safer.

- On-line boater education is a joke. A kid can knock out cards for their whole extended family, and all their friends and neighbors, in a few hours. Still, it's usually an option because some powerful companies lobby the state to include their on-line courses as an option.

A few points:

- Please don't call it a "license." A license can be revoked. A license can carry an annual renewal fee, which can turn into a cash cow. This is a one-time, proof-of-education card.

- The state probably won't make money on this. I haven't read the CA law, but usually the Power Squadron and CG Auxiliary courses, which are based on a national standard, are accepted. Often private businesses lobby the state to be included, too.

- Passing an exam doesn't make you a safe boater. Still, it forces people to understand that there ARE laws on the water, and more importantly, that they don't know it all. If every boater is exposed to those two concepts, we're all safer.

- On-line boater education is a joke. A kid can knock out cards for their whole extended family, and all their friends and neighbors, in a few hours. Still, it's usually an option because some powerful companies lobby the state to include their on-line courses as an option.
+1 with the exception it cant be revoked.

In NJ, you get a DUI, you are supposed to turn in your boating card too...

Not sure if it gets done, but that is the law as I understand it...and vice versa if you get a BUI.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom