Do rail mounted grills make a mess?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our Weber Q is reaching the end of its life. The grate is almost burnt through from all the use it has had. A replacement grate is almost half what we paid for the whole unit. We love the "Q" however our yacht club does not permit open flames on board. We are considering an electric grill. Would appreciate some input pro and con. Yes, we do have a generator and I believe there is an electric "Q." Thanks all.

Greetings,
We also have a Magma kettle grill BUT it is so old the top is has a cable attaching it to the body unlike the newer models in which the top hinges out of the way. To check the progress of cooking or adjust the placement of the food the top dangles at the end of the cable. A real PIA! The only "redeeming" factor is my grilling technique is SO bad we hardly use it.

When it IS used, there is no mess which, as has been mentioned, is a function of the food being cooked (overly greasy/too much sauce).

Can you please show us a picture of the mount from the inside? Was it store bought?
Got the part about the fish station, it's the actual mount that is iluding me.

Pics PLEASE !!!!!! Where did you have to use the starboard?

When it IS used, there is no mess which, as has been mentioned, is a function of the food being cooked (overly greasy/too much sauce).

I use disposable, thin metal cooking sheets bought from supermarket. Their configuration has channels where regular amount of grease gets captured while the holes in their raised rivulets lets the flame well singe the meat. Only problem in nearly a decade I've had with too much grease was with pre formed cheese burgers from WalMart. Burgers tasted OK, after shrinking 50%. But, three minor grease fires happened while cooking them up. NO more WalMart burgers. We normally make our own from lean ground beef or ground turkey.

BTW - The metal sheets keep Magma BBQ's heating portions so clean from droppings that seldom is there a thorough cleanout required.

We use this set up. First we installed a Scotty side mount on the Port aft section of our Selene. Had to use a piece of 3/4 inch starboard as a spacer to clear the cap rail. Then I picked up a 90 degree Scotty mount that goes on to the side mount with big wing bolts, they came with the kit. Picked up the fish cleaning board off of eBay. A guy down in Florida makes them in all sizes, we wanted a big one that would support the Weber gas grill, tools, platters and be easy to clean. Oh ya, it also is a great fish cleaning station.
Remove the two wing bolts, and the cleaning station comes right off and we can put the Scotty down rigger on.
During the winter we remove it all for the Canvas to cover everything.

By the way, the Weber grill is the only way to go. My experience with Magma's or any other Stainless grill for that matter have not been pleasant. This is the grill we had on the Coach before we got the boat. Its now 7 years old. Once or twice a year I remove from the boat while the power washer is out and spray the daylights out of it.

And on this trip, Tom on ASD is so impressed that they are searching for one themselves.

Well, ain't that the cat's meow! Very nice package ya got there, Chief!

I've got the standard issue 17 inch round Magma and it's not messy. The mount overhangs the rail. I needed similar spacer/standoff that I fashioned from teak and might have the same Scotty mount. I find the grill to be hotter than I'm used to so I have to cook with the top open much of the time.

We have a Magma Monterey Infra Red and love it. We're in our third year of using it and have had no problems.

Attachments

• Barbeque.jpg
    Barbeque.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 97
Can you please show us a picture of the mount from the inside? Was it store bought?
Got the part about the fish station, it's the actual mount that is iluding me.

At the request of several, here is a close up of the mount. Its a Scotty model #1025. I place a Small towel on the Cap rail to prevent Scratching the Brightwork.

Hope this helps, Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 106
Greetings,
We also have a Magma kettle grill BUT it is so old the top is has a cable attaching it to the body unlike the newer models in which the top hinges out of the way. To check the progress of cooking or adjust the placement of the food the top dangles at the end of the cable. A real PIA! The only "redeeming" factor is my grilling technique is SO bad we hardly use it.

Hmmm... didn't know they have a newer "hinged" version. Ours is like yours, from about 2001 and with the retaining cable, but it also has a hook thing inside the lid so it can be affixed on the lower part at a 90° angle... reasonably secure... Sometimes the lid makes an OK wind-guard in that position, too, depending on boat orientation to wind, etc...

That reminds me, we keep the bottom of ours lined with heavy-duty aluminum foil to aid eventual clean up. Once we decide to give it a serious cleaning, the foil captures almost everything, and that in turn makes washing quite a bit less messy...

-Chris

Greetings,
Mr. 42. A10-205

2nd "bullet". I'll have to check for the hook device on ours. Dangling gets stale really quickly...

Looks like an improvement over ours. Not necessarily a reason for us to bag the old one and trot right out to buy a new one... but something to keep in mind if ours every goes south. Like maybe the cable fails and our lid goes overboard, or some such. :)

-Chris

Wow!

We use this set up. First we installed a Scotty side mount on the Port aft section of our Selene. Had to use a piece of 3/4 inch starboard as a spacer to clear the cap rail. Then I picked up a 90 degree Scotty mount that goes on to the side mount with big wing bolts, they came with the kit. Picked up the fish cleaning board off of eBay. A guy down in Florida makes them in all sizes, we wanted a big one that would support the Weber gas grill, tools, platters and be easy to clean. Oh ya, it also is a great fish cleaning station.
Remove the two wing bolts, and the cleaning station comes right off and we can put the Scotty down rigger on.

By the way, the Weber grill is the only way to go. My experience with Magma's or any other Stainless grill for that matter have not been pleasant. This is the grill we had on the Coach before we got the boat. Its now 7 years old. Once or twice a year I remove from the boat while the power washer is out and spray the daylights out of it.

And on this trip, Tom on ASD is so impressed that they are searching for one themselves.

Beautiful boat, beautiful grill set up! Thanks for the pictures.

Chief
What size table is in your pics, the 34" or 40". Looks to have a lot of room on each side for other things.
Thanks

We have an older Force 10 rectangular grill with built in drip pan. It clamps to the rail and there is no mess. Overall, this design works great and there is no generator running.

I use the flat washer in the lid to hook the lid onto the bottom half, I think Magma suggested this in a brochure? If you do this you will need to Slightly unscrew the knob on top of the lid, keep an eye on it so it doesn't unscrew too far and fall off! Use the cable too!

Attachments

• Magma BBQ.JPG
    Magma BBQ.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Magma bbq 1.JPG
    Magma bbq 1.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 97
At the request of several, here is a close up of the mount. Its a Scotty model #1025. I place a Small towel on the Cap rail to prevent Scratching the Brightwork.

Hope this helps, Cheers!

A bit different from my Scotty mounts. The Magma rod-mount accessory looks like this one from RTF's link above. It fits into the top hope of the Scotty rod mounts.

A10-205.jpg

Here are a few pics of my Scotty mounts. I have several scattered along my side and aft rails. If you zoom in on the second pic, it shows the teak spacer and backing. The last one shows the back side of the teak backing.

Attachments

• Photo0481.jpg
    Photo0481.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Photo0482.jpg
    Photo0482.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Photo0484.jpg
    Photo0484.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 101
I have the Magma rectangular grill mounted on the bow SS rail. I do line the drip tray w/ aluminum foil which makes for easier clean-up. No drips at all. That tray will leak some grease if not lined.
I had that same Grill and the tray would fill with water during the rain

I rely on other boats's grills! One of the benefits of a boat buddy.

I have the Magma rectangular grill mounted on the bow SS rail. I do line the drip tray w/ aluminum foil which makes for easier clean-up. No drips at all. That tray will leak some grease if not lined.
:iagree:We do the very same thing!

I have the Magma. I use a grill pad from Lowe's when grilling. So far, no drips. IMG_1344.JPG

I use the flat washer in the lid to hook the lid onto the bottom half, I think Magma suggested this in a brochure? If you do this you will need to Slightly unscrew the knob on top of the lid, keep an eye on it so it doesn't unscrew too far and fall off! Use the cable too!

Ah! That's the "hook" I meant, earlier.

I don't remember having to slightly unscrew the knob, but we got it a long time ago...

-Chris

Me too. Weber is the only way to go.
:dance::dance:

Our Weber the the results

Attachments

• 20151001_Dauntless and me IMG_6759.JPG
    20151001_Dauntless and me IMG_6759.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20161225_183716.jpg
    20161225_183716.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 83
Greetings,
Mr. Wx. Aw Jeez! Exactly what I DON'T need-lucious food pictures. NOW I gotta go and make some breakfast...

200.gif

Good to see recent photo of you Richard. And.... yummy things to boot [errrr boat!!]!

Do they drip onto the deck?
We have one but haven't used it yet.

Was just thinking about how our big grill at home has a big drip tray under it.

See pix on this forum of the Weber 1200 I have on my rail. It has a drip tray and disposalable liners for same. I am a fan and have never had a mess that was not my fault. Far superior to any "Marine-Boating" grill I have seen. I live in a Marina, have seen a lot of grills. Here is a big deal, THEY COOK GOOD, unlike many of the shiney marine grills I have experienced, some cost hundreds more.

See pix on this forum of the Weber 1200 I have on my rail. It has a drip tray and disposalable liners for same. I am a fan and have never had a mess that was not my fault. Far superior to any "Marine-Boating" grill I have seen. I live in a Marina, have seen a lot of grills. Here is a big deal, THEY COOK GOOD, unlike many of the shiney marine grills I have experienced, some cost hundreds more.

I use one of these at home. I agree, they do cook very well. I'm thinking on placing it on our boat. Do you use a 6 gallon tank or the smaller screw in cartridges? Thanks....

I use a tank

Ok, new to the boats and about to leave the shoreline behind....working on this project with a buddy who has a fabrication business.....looks like this....I am going to use the Sam's club knock off mini Kamado grill instead of the Green Egg one.....the main support will clamp to existing rails somehow...have not figured it out yet. I need/want the ability to smoke/bbq with charcoal. Thoughts?

SnipImage%5B3951%5D-S.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom