EPA new fuel fill limit vent valves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdowney717

Guru
Vessel Name
Old Glory
Vessel Make
1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
The Fuel Fill Valve is used to establish ullage (air space) in the tank to help prevent overfilling.
The FLV incorporates a small float mechanism which, as the tank is filled, rises to seal off air escaping through the vent line. (See accompanying diagram.) When the float rises and air can no longer escape, pressure builds in the tank and fill hose and is sensed by the pressure shut-off mechanism in the dockside fuel pump.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/perko-fuel-fill-limit-valves-epa-compliant

Do any new diesel fuel systems use these in their tanks?
Prevents overfilling of your tank and keeps fuel from flowing out the vent.
They come in various sizes.
429914-perko-pko-0586t00112-npt-threaded-1-1-2-ppd

Not a chance that I have one of those contraptions

Not a chance I'm putting one on my tank either.

Are these now required for new diesel tanks in new diesel boats?
I think most people just would not know if they had one or not.
I know they are required for gas powered boats, same regulations would apply to prevent fuel spills. for diesels I would think.

Those are for gas engines/tanks, and have nothing to do with diesel engines or tanks.

Why? You can't overfill a diesel tank?

Don't get me started...I bought a one gallon gas container last year for our new dinghy. Yes, one gallon, four quarts, as big as a lunch box. Paid a ridiculous price for it because the spout is a five-component Rube Goldberg contraption. Press a side tab (hard) to unlock screw ring, unscrew, press a different tab to lift the spout out of the mouth of the container; take out the cap piece, turn the spout around, making sure the flimsy gasket is aligned properly around the base of the spout. Slide the screw ring over the spout, pressing the tab again. Screw it down, insert spout into motor tank, press different tab on spout against the filler neck of the tank to start the flow, however, because I have to keep the spout firmly jammed into the tank to open the spout valve, I can't back it out to see how full the tank is -- so I spill gas everywhere, defeating the whole purpose of all that complexity. And then to top it off, because of the all-powerful, farmer-welfare agricultural lobby in this country, after one year the ethanol in the gas has eaten away the rubber gasket and it shreds to little black bits and pieces as I put the spout back in. (I put the good stuff in the big boat though, no corn juice in my twins.)

I can't back it out to see how full the tank is -- so I spill gas everywhere, defeating the whole purpose of all that complexity.
:facepalm:

I hate the new fu%*#ing safety gas cans. I never spilled with the old ones, yet I rarely fill an outboard or other small engine using the new safety spouts without spilling.

Why? You can't overfill a diesel tank?

I'm just referring to it being a new EPA thing. I don't believe anything has changed re venting and filling requirements for diesel. Just trying to head off the "EPA is ruining out lives" tangents, but I might be too late....

Don't get me started...I bought a one gallon gas container last year for our new dinghy. Yes, one gallon, four quarts, as big as a lunch box. Paid a ridiculous price for it because the spout is a five-component Rube Goldberg contraption. Press a side tab (hard) to unlock screw ring, unscrew, press a different tab to lift the spout out of the mouth of the container; take out the cap piece, turn the spout around, making sure the flimsy gasket is aligned properly around the base of the spout. Slide the screw ring over the spout, pressing the tab again. Screw it down, insert spout into motor tank, press different tab on spout against the filler neck of the tank to start the flow, however, because I have to keep the spout firmly jammed into the tank to open the spout valve, I can't back it out to see how full the tank is -- so I spill gas everywhere, defeating the whole purpose of all that complexity. And then to top it off, because of the all-powerful, farmer-welfare agricultural lobby in this country, after one year the ethanol in the gas has eaten away the rubber gasket and it shreds to little black bits and pieces as I put the spout back in. (I put the good stuff in the big boat though, no corn juice in my twins.)

Yes. We have met the enemy! It is those that want to save the environment with government regulation

I buy bulk corn juice to make things like glass cleaner at our plant
One day I asked the supplier about the ethanol they put into gas and why it was cheaper and he told me that it was full of other nasty stuff and we wouldn't want to use it
Also I'm not sure how much cleaner it is than gas . Something people don't ask is how much energy it takes to make a liter of corn juice

Wait a minute, "ullage?" There's a word for the air space at the top of a container? Get outta here. Ullage. What do you know. That's handy for Scrabble. Sounds like a character in a Minnesota Ole and Lena joke (Ole and Ullage Svenson were ice fishing for walleye on Lake Mille Lacs one day...")

ullage (n.) "amount by which a cask or bottle falls short of being full," late 15c., from Anglo-French ulliage (early 14c.), Anglo-Latin oliagium (late 13c.), Old French ouillage, from ouiller "to fill up (a barrel) to the bung," literally "to fill to the eye," from ueil "eye" (perhaps used colloquially for "bung"), from Latin oculus (from PIE root *okw- "to see").

Those spouts on the small gas containers are awful. I keep a funnel around to fill my outboard with now

Good thing Trump wants to gut the EPA! I have old gas cans and old style spouts, I save them just for the reasons mentioned above.

When the vent closes I expect that the large air volume in diesel tanks and fast flow will cause more burping than previous vents.

For everyone who wants to "gut the EPA", have you ever been to China? Or do you have any idea what it's like? And you really want to bring that back here? Be careful what you ask for.....

No one will suggest that we gut the EPA such that we return to China like conditions. That is being hyperbolic.

But if an emission regulation makes me spill gas all over the place, that is just plain stupid and should be fixed. I understand why they wanted to do this, as gas in normal cans do leak vapor with thermal cycles.

But how much vapor is released when you pour gas all over the place??? Much more.

Those cans are stupid. That reg is stupid. It should be fixed.

I love the EPA!
They made quality bottom paint illegal, wood preservative (that actually works) illegal, reliable, mechanical marine engines, illegal. We now have fuel cans that won't dispense fuel or do so slowly. New diesel pickups now have to use "diesel fluid". How long before that hits engines on the water? Does anyone remember when we could buy oil based paint for houses?
From a perspective of someone that rarely lived in or near a city, I see the the EPA effort as trying to turn back the clock to pre-european settlement without any thought to the effect on the economy, and the cost or hardship of the people effected.

No one will suggest that we gut the EPA such that we return to China like conditions. That is being hyperbolic.

But if an emission regulation makes me spill gas all over the place, that is just plain stupid and should be fixed. I understand why they wanted to do this, as gas in normal cans do leak vapor with thermal cycles.

But how much vapor is released when you pour gas all over the place??? Much more.

Those cans are stupid. That reg is stupid. It should be fixed.

That is sensible. '"Gut the EPA" just makes no sense.

Hm.... have you ever listened to, or read tweets by, our President? He isn't being hyperbolic at all. :facepalm:

I have never spilled as much gas as I have with these new spouts. Gas can is maybe five years old and the spout is coming apart, must be allergic to gasoline.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom