Our first weekend in our new Camano 31

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As the other posters suggested, a brace inside the hollow stanchion may be a workable solution for you. The prior owner of our boat had implemented this fix and it functions well. The only downside is that I have to lift the whole tabletop off the stanchion to remove the brace if we want to lower the table to make up the berth in the salon.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Nothing but exciting times ahead!!!

It is better to be tied up to the dock wishing you were "out there" versus being "out there" wishing you were tied up to the dock!!!
AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH:iagree:

Do you have pictures of the boat?

As the other posters suggested, a brace inside the hollow stanchion may be a workable solution for you. The prior owner of our boat had implemented this fix and it functions well. The only downside is that I have to lift the whole tabletop off the stanchion to remove the brace if we want to lower the table to make up the berth in the salon.

It's not hard to fix this problem, the table rests on two standard seat pedestals. From memory, I believe the knob threads into a piece of 1/4" thick metal about 3/4" wide and 1 1/2" long. It's not part of either piece, it just clamps the two cylinders at whatever height you want.

Either the threaded portion of the knob is stripped or the flat metal is stripped. A knob can be purchased, probably at a home center. The flat metal might be big enough for a new hole which could be tapped to fit the knob, or a replacement piece of metal could be purchases, cut to size and drilled and tapped. Or, for $100 or so each, the pedestals could be replaced. If he can find the manufacturer and part number on the pedestal, he could contact the manufacturer for replacement parts.

We never change the position of our table and don't keep the cushions on the boat so two pieces of wood would work fine for us but we don't need them.

I didn't know where Bayou Chene was so I "googled" it and a Facebook article came up mentioning the "Little Paradise" that the community was. It deals mainly with a member Binky Carline but, it has quite a few pictures from back in the 40s. You might want to take a look. Coincidentally it mentioned J&L Engineering in Jeanerette where Binky worked as a machinist. Cameco, the company I worked for most of my life bought J&L in 1981. I knew Binky's son Charlie Carline who was the J&L shop foreman for years very well. Both companies made machinery for the sugar industry.
Here is the link to the article:
https://www.facebook.com/CharentonLeveeJeaneretteCanal/posts/953773014671161
Steve

Thanks Steve.I joined TF six years ago when I learned about the Great Loop and our son moved our grandkids to the Gulf Coast :eek: The proximity of the ICW to the Gulf, our grandkids, and the Great Loop set us to fantasizing, but we were land bound by responsibilities.

I enjoyed reading your Gumbo blog during the next years.

I'm originally from South LA, raised on the Atchafalaya River. My first boat memory is riding with my dad in a steel hull outboard, the JEEP, into the Atchafalaya Basin where he taught school K-8 to trapper's kids. I was five.
The majority of my large Cajun family still live in Franklin, Thibodaux, Houma, and Gonzales. My mom was born and raised on a houseboat in Bayou Chene [community no longer exists] and Jeanerette Canal.

You can take the Cajun out of LA but you can never get the swamp out of the Cajun, Thank God:socool:

Becoming boaters

Update on our new boating life:dance: with apologies for being an inconsistent correspondent :oops:

We are five months into Becoming Boaters. From our humble and low expectations - we've managed the following:

No hard contact with any stationary structures, including lake bottom.
28 nights, 37 days on board, at marina, socializing with new friends, cruising family
6 anchorages, 1 raft up w/8 other boats - so much fun!
70 hours cruising time, 210 hours repair time, 120 hours cleaning
Lots of good docking and putting in the slip for Chuck - including my first yesterday!

Repairs:
Serious vibration @ 1000 RPM = Engine realignment
Low WOT RPM = Rebuilt turbo then fuel injector
Failed transducer = Haul out and install replacement
Leaking seal around replaced transducer = Haul out and reseal
Erratic RPM = Replaced alternator
Failure to start = Replaced starter
No coffee during anchorage = Replaced generator fuse, then capacitor

All in all, not a bad list! It helps that Chuck is the "thing whisperer." Things usually straighten up and fly right as soon as he lays hands on. When they don't, he takes them apart and puts them back together until they do - fly right, that is!

I must say, even after 46 years, I still love a guy who knows how to get things done :smitten:

Here are some pictures:

The pictures of the engine and the grandkids are properly oriented in my pictures file, but they upload rotated 90degrees. I don't know how to fix this within Trawler Forum, but I'm sharing anyway, b/c after all, who doesn't want to see pics of the grands on the boat:blush:

The settings are our lovely Cedar Mills Marina and Yacht Club. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Voyager on the water.jpg
    Voyager on the water.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Voyager on the water2.jpg
    Voyager on the water2.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5705.jpg
    IMG_5705.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5706.jpg
    IMG_5706.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5194.jpg
    IMG_5194.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5785.jpg
    IMG_5785.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5789.jpg
    IMG_5789.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5714.jpg
    IMG_5714.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5704.jpg
    IMG_5704.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5878.jpg
    IMG_5878.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 70
Small world

I didn't know where Bayou Chene was so I "googled" it and a Facebook article came up mentioning the "Little Paradise" that the community was. It deals mainly with a member Binky Carline but, it has quite a few pictures from back in the 40s. You might want to take a look. Coincidentally it mentioned J&L Engineering in Jeanerette where Binky worked as a machinist. Cameco, the company I worked for most of my life bought J&L in 1981. I knew Binky's son Charlie Carline who was the J&L shop foreman for years very well. Both companies made machinery for the sugar industry.
Here is the link to the article:
https://www.facebook.com/CharentonLeveeJeaneretteCanal/posts/953773014671161
Steve

Steve, it is a small world, after all! Binky Carline was my great-uncle - my grandmother Annie Carline was his sister. My mom did tons of genealogy on all the family lines, including the Carlines. She lived with Chuck and me the last three years of her life - she died September 25, 2016.

You friendship with Charlie Carline exceeds my knowledge with/of him. As my own family grew after I moved to Texas, my opportunities for visiting with Mom's cousins became scarce. We did fly in for a Carline reunion about 10 years ago held at Lake End park on Lake Palourde. I don't recall if Charlie Carline was there or not.

So we are both connected to my relatives AND we have Camano's in common! How 'bout that ;)

Thanks, Dave. We are sure having fun. We're planning to get up to your part of the country for a Camano gathering sometime this summer. Looking forward to seeing the islands again.

Maryann and Chuck, you're living the dream! Congrats! You're getting some great use out of your boat already! And eventually, your boating time will likely exceed your repair time.

It helps to have the skills to keep the boat functioning properly. Sounds like you two make a great team. Well done!

All in all, not a bad list! It helps that Chuck is the "thing whisperer." Things usually straighten up and fly right as soon as he lays hands on. When they don't, he takes them apart and puts them back together until they do - fly right, that is!

:thumb: Straighten Up is the name of my dink.

Maryann,

These forums are happier with horizontal (landscape) photos rather than vertical (portrait). I don't know why!

Glad to see you're having a wonderful time!

Maryann,

These forums are happier with horizontal (landscape) photos rather than vertical (portrait). I don't know why!

Glad to see you're having a wonderful time!

I tried everything to rotate - but no luck!

Porman,
Are you by chance a member of the Pacific Camano Owner's group? We're toying with attending their rendezvous in July on Pender Island and looking for input.

Back
Top Bottom