Cooler / ice chest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomkallman

Vessel Make
Nordic Tug (NT40)
You all have topics about everything ... but I couldn't find anything about coolers or ice chests.
Anyone have experience with or opinions on a great cooler for two-three day trips ?

Who needs coolers when you have a trawler? Just use one of the fridges.

OK....just kidding. I have 2 fridges at the lower helm/salon/galley plus a 165 Qt Igloo cooler secured to the FB for fish. (Usually extra storage)

What do you need to store? Do you need it stored dry only? Wet for drinks?

I have owned Coleman/igloos and then a few years ago my wife bought me a very large YETI. I can put in a few jugs of ice, and 8-10 days later, it is still partially frozen. I now have 4 coolers(2 at home), and to many of their drink wear. They are expensive, but they do their job and won't fall apart.

Whatever coolers you already have will work if you buy block ice - lasts much, much (days) longer than bag ice. Aside from their mass, the blocks are frozen over a longer period of time and so don't have air left in them (why they're so clear). But like a good diesel mechanic, block ice is hard to find. And I like chipping drink ice off them.
Last thought: another key to long-term coolerage is, put cold drinks in to start with...makes a huge difference.

We use a pair of Yeti's when traveling by Airstream. They really are awesome coolers.
Bruce

Our kids bought us a Yeti cooler , I think it's a 75 . We usually start icing down drinks a couple days early. Once you get one of these cold it stays cold for a while. We will add more ice and drinks during the week for the next weekend and keep it cold. Block ice works best .

Last edited:
Pelican

We looked at the Yeti but found the Pelican to be as good but $100 cheaper on line. Used it last summer for 3 continuous months - sits on the flybridge so gets a lot of sun. Block ice lasts 5 days minimum.

btw the manufacturers recommend you not drain the accumulated water unless absolutely necessary - seems counter-intuitive but not draining the water does keep the ice longer (albeit the beverages float after 4-5 days)!

Any of the truly insulated coolers work well. You can pick up a Coleman Xtreme cooler for about 1/4 the cost of a Yeti. Experience canoe camping for 3 days in 85+ degree weather shows they work about the same. I had to dump just as much ice as the Yeti's when loading the car to go home. In contrast, the canoe using uninsulated coolers had no ice after the first day. There are two drawbacks- cheap hinges and no latch.

I bought an Igloo 7-day cooler (150 Qts). We put in two ice blocks, all of our food, beer and ice. We can go days without needing more ice, unless we're making a lot of mixed drinks.

In reasonably priced coolers I have found the Coleman Xtreme to be far superior to an Igloo.

Have heard the same about the Colemans, accessories are cheapo, but the insulation works with the best.

I bought a Yeti and I am not impressed. An Igloo or a good Coleman works better.

I bought a Yeti and I am not impressed. An Igloo or a good Coleman works better.

I am sure there are a lot of variables but this video mirrors our own experience.
I have not tried any of the new Yeti copies that are beginning to show up on the market.
We just had some beer in a yeti that sat on the south side of our house for more than a week and it still had ice in it. Of course the weather here has been awful, rainy and into the upper 40's in the evening...
Bruce

https://youtu.be/dYjbs0ciWA0

What about dry ice in the cooler or a refrigerator sans power? Not interested in availability as much as feasibility.

What about dry ice in the cooler or a refrigerator sans power? Not interested in availability as much as feasibility.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_ice

"This extreme cold makes the solid dangerous to handle without protection due to burns caused by freezing (frostbite). While generally not very toxic, the outgassing from it can cause hypercapnia (abnormally elevated carbon dioxide levels in the blood) due to buildup in confined locations."

We used dry ice this winter on our way to the Bahamas. We placed the dry ice in the bottom of a Yeti and put crushed newspaper on top of the ice so the food wouldn't come in direct contact with it. Our goal was to keep things cold and not to freeze anything. We'll the carrots and lettuce froze solid. We had some vacuumed sealed tenderloins which partially froze. The dry ice was ~$15 and lasted 4 days. The dry ice took up less room and we had no water to deal with but the expense of the ice and ruined food just turned this into an expensive science project. The equivalent regular ice would have been about $3-5 dollars.

A friend who went over a week before we did used a Yeti with dry ice to keep frozen food frozen. He said that worked great. The food went on the bottom and he put the dry ice on top.

Last edited:
I set up my 165Qt Igloo with dry ice as an experiment during a one week fishing trip with my brother. I set up partitions in the cooler to separate it into 3 sections. In section 1 I added frozen food in reverse order of intended use and topped it with dry ice wrapped heavily in newspaper. Section 2 got a dry ice wrapped in newspaper on the bottom followed by a 1 gallon frozen water bottle and some non-frozen food including a cantelope. Section 3 got wrapped dry ice on the bottom followed by cold, non-frozen food.

In the end, I thought the dry ice did very well, but at a cost. I spent about $30 on dry ice and most items fared well. I did have some non-frozen food that was ruined in the freeze like celery. I also had that cantelope that didn't freeze, but became carbonated from the carbon dioxide in the sealed cooler. It took me a while to identify what was wrong with the cantelope since it tasted normal and the texture was normal, but the fizz in my mouth gave it away. It was actually kind of refreshing!

Most of the food did well, but I considered the cost as excessive for the gain. Since then, I've added a second fridge and rarely need a cooler.

Who needs coolers when you have a trawler? Just use one of the fridges.

OK....just kidding. I have 2 fridges at the lower helm/salon/galley plus a 165 Qt Igloo cooler secured to the FB for fish. (Usually extra storage)

What do you need to store? Do you need it stored dry only? Wet for drinks?

Al, I'm with you. I do not understand the need for a cooler on a trawler. Especially a 40 footer like the OP has.

We show up to the boat with food in a cooler.
We put the food into the fridge, and the freezer.

The cooler gets stashed out of the way, and is used to haul excess fresh food and fish home at the end of the trip.

coolers "not yeti"

I experimented this year in making a yeti-ish cooler. Took a $15 walmart igloo cooler and added 1 inch styrofoam (with the silver mylar on one side) to inside bottom, top and sides glued with construction adhesive. Sure it reduces the amount of space inside the cooler, but I wanted something to hold ice while out on the hook. Holds ice for 4+ days and around $30 total.
Yes, I know I'm cheap! :)

We looked at the Yeti but found the Pelican to be as good but $100 cheaper on line. Used it last summer for 3 continuous months - sits on the flybridge so gets a lot of sun. Block ice lasts 5 days minimum.

!

We've got a Pelican as well and have been very pleased with it. RTIC seems to be offering a Yeti Knockoff for much less money. I refuse to pay the Yeti marketing premium when other offerings perform as well. Yeti's recent discounting is in response to the many knock-offs hitting the market with similar performance..They did it to themselves...

We've got a Pelican as well and have been very pleased with it. RTIC seems to be offering a Yeti Knockoff for much less money. I refuse to pay the Yeti marketing premium when other offerings perform as well. Yeti's recent discounting is in response to the many knock-offs hitting the market with similar performance..They did it to themselves...
We need another cooler. I don't think I would buy another Yeti . We got ours as a gift. The one we have does a good job but overpriced . We will probably buy an RTIC .

If you need to keep things cold for 2-3 days I would go Igloo or Coleman.

Longer and I would look at Yeti or RTIC BUT...you need to go lift up an empty Yeti (or comparable) if you need to move it regularly it is a 2 person job.

Wow! thank you all for the input - especially the comparative video. I've been boating for less hours than most of you have years, but we've gone out a few times in groups and while I'm not a big beer (or soft drink for that matter) drinker, I would like to keep enough on board to offer guests, etc. AND not clutter up the frig. Ditto water bottles.
Anyway, you've given me great ideas. Yeti or RTIC seem to have the best (unofficial) reviews.
SAFE BOATING ONE AND ALL.
Thanks again. - TK

If you're tight for space you can always freeze the stuff you want to bring. My kids go through an obscene amount of milk so we usualy freeze a few of the half gallon cartons and use them in place of ice. If you're putting water bottles in there, freeze them too.

Instead of freezing milk, we buy boxed ~2% UHT milk. It has a shelf life of 6-9 months until opened. It's available in whole, ~2% or skim. 80% of the organic milk in the stores is also UHT. When we were living outside the US, whole, in your dairy case, milk was not available. Our favorite brand is Parmalat. When cold, I can't taste the difference from whole milk. :)

aseptic-01.jpg

Last edited:
The Orca Cooler

We just purchased a 75 quart Orca Cooler/ Ice box and received $75 from buying from the factory direct, It's amazing. Sorry but we still use

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom