How to open this raw water strainer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VicTrawler

Vessel Name
Halcyon I
Vessel Make
1984 36' Universal Europa Sedan
I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove/clean this strainer on my Lehman's raw water intake thru-hull. Any ideas?

zy5APyj.jpg

That's a first for me . How do you shut off the seacock? I'm not seeing a handle.

Looks like the clamp has cut through the hose as well.

Geez oh flip! I think I'd **** can that ASAP and replace it with something more standard.

Till then, it sort of looks like that strainer basket thing with the holes in it pops or unscrews out some how.

The punch marks on the top of it may be a clue,

Does the black shiny part pry out and expose a fitting?

Looks to me like there is a crack developing on the hose fitting. I'd get rid of that SOB ASAP.

Disposable sea strainer?:banghead:
I think you put a pipe wrench on the "cap"!!!

Last edited:
A friend had relayed this....

That strainer looks like a vintage Stuart Turner unit, made in the UK. The valve handle should be on the side not seen I think, it is a small lever.

It looks like he has already removed the screw on cover that holds the center piece (with viewport) in place. I can't remember if those used an O-ring or a gasket under the cover plate but it should come out if it is annoyed enough with a tool to tap it loose while trying to rotate it or lift it with a suction cup like one of those used to hold an engine valve while lapping ... sort of like a suction cup head on a toy arrow. You can see the marks on the cover where someone tapped it with something in the past. It is a real antique in any event and for what it's worth, it looks clean inside.

We both wish you luck....

Whatever it is, it appears unmaintained.

!!! WARNING !!!
This is not a strainer, be very very careful about it, it may show strange behavior

langfr-180px-HAL9000.svg.png

L.

Haha, thanks everyone for the comments.

For what it's worth, it was (removed?) and serviced in a boatyard in 2016. Roger, hose. That could probably use a replacement. I'll get on that ASAP.

I'll try giving the cover a tap to see if it pops off.

Yes, the valve is on the inboard side, not seen at this angle - just a ball valve.

Any spanner wrench holes in the side of the cap?

Yes, it is a Stuart Turner strainer as psneed suggested. They are a combination seacock/strainer and some had an extra inlet that could be opened to suck out a flooded bilge.

I think you already have the cap off in the photo, is that correct?

I'm guessing here, but is there a threaded nut on the base of the strainer that a long bolt is screwed into, then pulled?

Back
Top Bottom