Power steering or hydraulic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turner

Asking for feed back from more experienced boaters than myself. Thinking of replacing my 33 y.o. hydrolic steering system on my 30' trawler. I would assume the basic principles of a 33 y.o. system and current systems are similar. It takes 4 complete rotations of the wheel to stimulate a response in direction, however, a power steering system would be more sensitive to the movement of the wheel yet more complex and more components that could go wrong (sometimes more is not better). What are your thoughts?

200.gif

IMHO Power steering for a rudder on a 30 ft trawler is way overkill. If you want fewer turns Sea Star has a selection of helm pumps that pump various capacities and depending on the ram diameter the turn to turn can come way down. This will of course come with a price, the effort to turn the wheel will increase, but for the rudder of a 30ft boat I can't imagine that being excessive.

:socool:

4 complete turns before the boat starts to change direction? How many turns hard over to hard over? You should see a direction change before 4 turns. Any possibility you are low on oil?

Keys,
I have a Capalano pump that has that feature. I've got it set on about 2.8 turns lock to lock but it's faster than it would seem as I've set up for 45 degrees deflection each way. Re the adjusting feature the steering gets harder the faster you set it. If I had mine set at 4 turns L to L it would be real easy. But I like fast steering.

As to effort I can come about fast using one finger but the finger gets a bit abused. At slower steering speeds (like 6 turns L to L) it's much easier re effort to turn. My steering has a very large rudder/slave cylinder so it is slow. To make it fast I need to pump lots of fluid. If I had power steering I'd probably set up at one turn to each side or two turns L to L. The main thing I like about hydraulic steering is when you get on course the system won't change/move and frequently I can stay on a course for several minutes w my hands free .. not touching the helm. However I like/prefer cable w a quadrant and sprockets and chain near the helm .. like Steve has on Panope.

I agree the OP should go w straight hydraulic.

Last edited:
I have hydraulic steering installed in the 70s. I added a jog lever in the autopilot pump circuit, and never turn the wheel by hand. Using the steering angle gauges I set the rudders where I want with the jog lever when maneuvering. All other times I use the autopilot.
With the wheels it's 3 1/2 turns lock to lock.

Manual hydraulic steering should be more than enough for this application. As stated, Seastar or capilano systems are great for this size boat. Why complicate with power steering pumps?

Right, if it takes 4 turns to "stimulate a response", then something is wrong. If it's 4 turns stop to stop, i.e. full port rudder to full stbd rudder, that's different. But if your boat's direction doesn't respond for 4 turns, then something is clearly very wrong and just needs to be fixed. It's some combination of air in the system and/or low fluid, but you will need to sort out how it got that way, not just refill and re-bleed.

Right, if it takes 4 turns to "stimulate a response", then something is wrong. If it's 4 turns stop to stop, i.e. full port rudder to full stbd rudder, that's different. But if your boat's direction doesn't respond for 4 turns, then something is clearly very wrong and just needs to be fixed. It's some combination of air in the system and/or low fluid, but you will need to sort out how it got that way, not just refill and re-bleed.

Could also be leaking cylinder piston seals worn and allowing oil to pass without moving the piston. Fix the system.

My 32 ft bateau has a Wagner adjustable pump and I do use that feature. Long boring runs it is turned for little rudder movement or the boat overcorrects with small wheel movement.
Rough conditions especially following seas or tight docking I adjust for max. rudder with min.wheel movement.

I would fix what you have. Sound like is low on fluid and has to be bled of air. Might need helm pump repaired. Check the basics first. I usually try fixing what I have and usually a lot cheaper. After sitting for the winter i have to fill and bleed the system. Part of owning an old boat.

I've owned or piloted boats with all types steering [even pulley/cable in boats of yesteryear - lol].

Photo shows my favorite [inside rear view our Tolly's salon helm station]. Also had similar steering-type work very well on other make boats. These babies last and last with little to no need for maintenance.

Our Tolly requires three steering wheel turns for hard to hard; in salon or on bridge.

Any speed above couple knots, boat responds well with slight turn of steering wheel. Any speed below couple knots I leave steering/rudders centered, don't touch the wheel and maneuver boat with twin's throttle/trany.

I believe in KISS for nearly all Marine items. Steering is one!

Attachments

• Steering - Salon Helm.jpg
    Steering - Salon Helm.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 58
Art,
Oh yes rack and pinion. Is it more expensive than rotary types or just take up more space? Also it must be much more drag free that the rotarys. Light feel?

Art,
Oh yes rack and pinion. Is it more expensive than rotary types or just take up more space? Also it must be much more drag free that the rotarys. Light feel?

Yes... light, responsive feel.

Back
Top Bottom