New Power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CooperBrewer

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hiatus
Vessel Make
Cooper Prowler
Hello, my name is Mike and I'm new here. I'm happy that I'm now a member of this forum. Now that I'm in, I'd like to ask a question. I have acquired a 1990, 33' Cooper Prowler that I use as a weekend getaway. My Sis calls it a dock potato as for the fact that She has only one of her two engines and that one doesn't run. The "stock" engines are two 7.4 mercruisers.

My question to the forum is.... do you think it's worth repowering/replacing the engines in this vessel? I think the rest of her is fairly sound and seaworthy. It is an expensive task and I just want to see what the group has to say.

I also have to add, I don't believe that I will ever recover the value of what I have already put into her plus the cost of installing the new power..... but thinking maybe I can get some years of pleasure out of her in my retirement years.

Thanks again for my opportunity to belong to the group.

Last edited:
Get an estimate and see what your wallet says. Might start with a mechanic and see if it can be fixed first.

Ted

"She has only one of her two engines and that one doesn't run. The "stock" engines are two 7.4 mercruisers."

Find out why it "doesn't run" .

Lots cheaper to fix something than R&R the engines.

I think you need to consider the economics. Could you even sell the boat without fixing or replacing the engine. Online I found a 7.4 mercruiser engine for $14,000. Removal and replacement would be additional. You would then have a boat you could enjoy or sell.

But first determine if the current engine can be fixed.

Can't see an alternative. Living with one engine doesn't work because you would have to put up with it until you sell the boat and then the buyer would reduce the selling price to take into account the cost of a new engine.

It will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $75,000 to replace those gassers with diesels. As you note, you will never get that back when you sell.

A much better choice is to fix the bad engine. Could be cheap but as noted above, you can replace with new for one fourth the cost of new diesels.

David

Gaston made a good suggestion. A couple of Suzuki DF60s would cost you less than one 7.4 Mercruiser and they only weigh 250-280 lbs.

My suspicion is your boat with good engines would only sell for $30K or so. It doesn't seem to make much sense to replace repower at $30K or so.

Are you certain your engine is a 7.4 and not a 5.7?

With my modest mechanical skills I have replaced stern drive gassers in my driveway. It is amazing how cheap a new Mercruiser 350 or 454 carb gasser is, but first - what is the current problem?

Well, thank you for the replies, gentlemen. After reading them, I'll chime in some more. As far as a pod-drive goes, I'm not sure that the higher center of gravity, flybridge, etc. of my boat makes it the right fit for pods. Now, as far as the existing engine goes.... I know and have the engine that is removed. It is completely burned up and needs nothing short of a complete rebuild. Being that these are the stock 1990 salt water engines and all, it's hard for me to imagine the motor that's there being in much better shape. That, and whatever I do, it will probably require dry docking, etc. I'd also like to get some longevity, as in I don't want to do it again any time soon.

Part of the reason for buying gas motors in the first place is for the "ease" and relative low cost of replacement over diesels. They aren't going to last as long, but you get a much lower initial cost at purchase.

That's the THEORY anyway. ;-)

Keep your eyes open for used engines being sold. Sometimes a boat will blow one engine and replace both with new, one of the pair is still ok. Find two of those deals and you may luck out. Sometimes they do a diesel repower and both engines are available. Also if just used for putt-putting around, you can go with 5.0 or 5.7's.

If you have both 7.4's and one is fried, a long block could be a cheap fix. If you have all the marine add-on parts, that is a big plus.

Gaston made a good suggestion. A couple of Suzuki DF60s would cost you less than one 7.4 Mercruiser and they only weigh 250-280 lbs.

My suspicion is your boat with good engines would only sell for $30K or so. It doesn't seem to make much sense to replace repower at $30K or so.

Are you certain your engine is a 7.4 and not a 5.7?

I will look into the outboards, etc. I am sure that they are 7.4's. I checked the numbers personally with Mercury Marine.

Hello, my name is Mike and I'm new here. I'm happy that I'm now a member of this forum. Now that I'm in, I'd like to ask a question. I have acquired a 1990, 33' Cooper Prowler that I use as a weekend getaway. My Sis calls it a dock potato as for the fact that She has only one of her two engines and that one doesn't run. The "stock" engines are two 7.4 mercruisers.

My question to the forum is.... do you think it's worth repowering/replacing the engines in this vessel? I think the rest of her is fairly sound and seaworthy. It is an expensive task and I just want to see what the group has to say.

I also have to add, I don't believe that I will ever recover the value of what I have already put into her plus the cost of installing the new power..... but thinking maybe I can get some years of pleasure out of her in my retirement years.

Not sure I was looking at the correct "Cooper Prowler" but images using Google show some boats that look decent enough... so repowering to make it a boat :) seems like worth some thought, at least.

Were the originals for straight shaft or outdrives? Could you re-use with gears and shaft or outdrives? Or at least defer addressing those until later?

I'd say diesels is a non-starter; too expensive, and if your have a genset you'd want to change that, too... with even more cost.

But with gassers, you could maybe improve the cooling system at the same time... with freshwater cooled engines instead of raw water cooled.

Have you looked at prices for drop-in reman FWC 7.4s? Or... are your blocks candidates for a rebuild?

Or... have you maybe looked at any other reasonable and semi-modern gas engine that will bolt up to your gear/shaft or outdrive. Might be that a newer engine size/style could cost more at first but would work better and get you better fuel economy...

-Chris

Not sure I was looking at the correct "Cooper Prowler" but images using Google show some boats that look decent enough... so repowering to make it a boat :) seems like worth some thought, at least.

Were the originals for straight shaft or outdrives? Could you re-use with gears and shaft or outdrives? Or at least defer addressing those until later?

I'd say diesels is a non-starter; too expensive, and if your have a genset you'd want to change that, too... with even more cost.

But with gassers, you could maybe improve the cooling system at the same time... with freshwater cooled engines instead of raw water cooled.

Have you looked at prices for drop-in reman FWC 7.4s? Or... are your blocks candidates for a rebuild?

Or... have you maybe looked at any other reasonable and semi-modern gas engine that will bolt up to your gear/shaft or outdrive. Might be that a newer engine size/style could cost more at first but would work better and get you better fuel economy...

-Chris

I would like to maintain the same torque and/or HP that the boat came with if possible. It is shaft driven with a gearbox to mount up to.

The motor is nothing but a big block Chevy or BBC. Rebuilt crate motors are available from $2400 and up, all you need to do is swap over the marinization kit from your old engines. It's all basic shadetree mechanics........ Just tell the rebuilder that you want a marine cam.

BTW, a few years back I had a 540 cu. in. all alloy Dart marine BBC built for a lake boat that made 500 hp at 4000 rpm for only $15k installed with a warranty.

Last edited:
I'm w Ski,

Often used engines are dirt cheap.
You'll have tens of thousands left over to buy fuel and if your like most boaters you'll probably not run that many hours. And if ya do you'll prolly still be far ahead. Diesels are not as perfect for pleasure boats as most think too.

I would like to maintain the same torque and/or HP that the boat came with if possible. It is shaft driven with a gearbox to mount up to.

Not necessarily all that difficult, I think. Work out what your gears are, and then work backwards to find out what engines will bolt up with not much effort. (Maybe if you can identify your gears here, engine folks could trot out some candidates...)

Then you can maybe select from among choices, guided by HP/torque for each candidate, but also guided by your wallet.

Your choices may still all revolve around the 7.4 block, but even so you could possibly improve over carburetors with MPI or some such, you could improve over raw water cooling with a freshwater system, etc. Or if some newer blocks would bolt up directly, you might be able to achieve similar HP/torgue as original and at the same time reduce some engine weight and open up some space for maintenance access.

-Chris

I've run a bunch of boats with the 7.4's and with the more modern 5.7 and 6.2 (?) vortecs. To me the smallblock vortecs just seem to make dang near as much power as the 7.4's and do it with way less fuel. The 7.4 is a big torquey durable beast, but kinda piggy and inefficient.

Thanks guys... all of these replies are a big reason I wanted to join this forum. I'm kinda new to all this, so learning my options is a good thing :)

Welcome Cooperbrewer. My nephew just spent 7K freshening up his 7.4 crusaders. Boat goes like a raped ape now. His problem was finding a mobile mechanic who he could trust to not say: You need more than you actually need, to drive up my profit and your cost.
Getting an HONEST estimate from a competent mechanic of the actual condition of your engines is first step. Then a combination of either you or the mechanic searching for one (or two as needed) new long block, short block or rebuilt swap that would fix you.

Without knowing the actual physical condition of both engines you are just throwing darts. Get a good estimate. It will cost money to have a mechanic to inspect. It then you know what you have to start with.

Just to get an idea go on EBay and search for crusader 7.4 long block. Either rebuilt or offering to rebuild one. See what they are going for.

The Cooper Prowler is a nice planing hull boat. A good friend of mine has one and they love it. You are not going to be able to replace those gas engines with diesels and have the same kind of performance very cheaply. If you want to keep the boat then repair/replace the big blocks with like engines and go enjoy the boat. If you want a slower diesel-powered boat then repair/replace the big blocks with like engines and sell that boat and then buy the boat you really want.

Marty............................

Thank you, everyone! Again, I am glad I joined, and you've all been quite helpful. I think I will check around again for a good reliable and honest mechanic to possibly assess what I have first (maybe one or both are rebuildable) I will compare this cost, with used (fresh) or already rebuilt motors and having them installed.

I'll keep you all posted with the progress :)

With my modest mechanical skills I have replaced stern drive gassers in my driveway. It is amazing how cheap a new Mercruiser 350 or 454 carb gasser is, but first - what is the current problem?

I had a 454 in my Sea Ray. It is actually one of the reasons I got rid of that boat. Not only was she a gas guzzler, but needed a rebuild. I had it hauled out of the boat and put in my garage. Even bought an engine stand for it, (for sale now).

I was fortunate to be able to rebuild it myself with the help of some very knowledgeable friends. I never knew who was going to be over my house tinkering. Took over a year and a lot of money.

I would never ever own another one again. I should have refit at the time. Boat was sold last year and I'm sure she is enjoying her freshwater life now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom