Boat explodes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cruiserChick

I put easy to read labels by each filler so there is an easy way to confirm what you are filling.

Well when you are dumb... you are dumb... Darwin will take care of your destiny.

Unfortunately when Darwin kicks in there may be others around that get taken out as well.

Sea Tow's Schwarz arrived and advised the pair to disconnect battery cables so a spark would not ignite the gas.
However, when they were disconnecting the cables, a spark ignited the gasoline, causing the explosion.

If I were floating in a pool of gasoline, I think I'd refuse to do anything but step off the boat :eek:

New Federal regulation coming for fishing rod holders:
Placard required, red background, 3" letters..."This is NOT the Fuel Tank"

I would not have tried to disconnect the battery cables. That is just asking for a spark. We had a boat when I was ateenager that the fuel gauge gasket leaked when I filled the tank. The gas dock kept insisting that I turn on the bilge blower and then start it up since I was blocking the fuel dock. I took several hours cleaning up the gas in the bilge. Finally turned on the blower when I could not find any more gas in the bilge. Obviously it worked out ok, but it was an eternity while I flipped on the blower switch. Ever since I am paranoid about gas leaks.

I see a law suit coming and the Darwin people bringing it.

Greetings,
From the news article it appears there were numerous mistakes made.
1) Missing the fuel fill. Who was doing the filling? The Captain/owner or the guest? The one who is most familiar with the boat should either pump the fuel him/her self OR make sure the fuel nozzle goes where it is supposed to (NOT the fresh water fill or the holding tank pump out) 25 gallons? Somebody was way asleep at the switch.
2) Listening to the tow assist guy when he said to disconnect the battery cables. Turn off your battery switches, sure but leave everything hard wired.
3) Sounds like there were 3 people in close proximity of the re-fueling. When I refuel our gas boat, everyone but me OR the fuel attendant is off the boat and a distance away.

I experienced a fuel (gas) spill on board last summer. When I opened the hatches to ventilate after fueling I immediately smelt gas. Turns out there was a break in the vent line right at the tank. Repaired the break, washed everything down well with soap and water and aired out the ER to the point where I could not smell any more vapors and THEN turned on the blower. Took about 2 hours and the grandsons were getting antsy but I did not let them anywhere near the boat until I deemed it to be safe.

Mr. g. "dont you just love petrol " Other than one has to be more aware of the potential dangers of gasoline and act accordingly, I don't mind it in the least. Perhaps since I used fire in the performance of my duties for 35 years in a past life I am much more attuned to dangers of flammable materials and their proximity to a source of ignition. Open flames, hydrocarbon solvents and inattentiveness do NOT play well together.

Sad to say it reminded me of a sign/cartoon at the local marina/bait shop. they had a cartoon of a guy holding a fuel nozzle in the rod holder of his boat pumping gas into it and showing the fuel splashing into the boat. At the same time he was telling the attendant " Yes, I want to count those minnows, do you think I'm stupid!"

Yes you have to love diesel. We were doing training for boat crew members and they had to extinguish a fire. Local fire chief put diesel in pan and tried to ignite it. Even used a road flare and could not get it going. Added an ounce of gas and it went right up. Once the diesel got heated it would reignite much easier, but when it was cold we couldn't get it to ignite by itself.

So quick to judge, I guess none of you have ever made a mistake.

1) Missing the fuel fill. Who was doing the filling? The Captain/owner or the guest? The one who is most familiar with the boat should either pump the fuel him/her self OR make sure the fuel nozzle goes where it is supposed to (NOT the fresh water fill or the holding tank pump out) 25 gallons? Somebody was way asleep at the switch.

Methinks it was a millennial who was texting while fueling.:oops:

Note that a sailboat caught fire off Hallandale yesterday as well.

Diesel vs gasoline.
Lots of folk have gas power and Don,t have trouble.
Don,t get to high on your diesel because I see the similar bonehead moves on diesel boats.
Putting the outboard gas jug below or the outboard or a small gas generator and so on.
Even your portable propane tanks below.
Yes, what they did was stupid, unfortunately so. But diesel or not you too could get caught one day by a simple lapse.
OR Stupid bad advice as appears to be the case here.

They have enough trouble without being beaten up here.

Gas in the rod holder trick has been happening since I was a kid and longer.

Pumping 28 gallons of gas into a rod holder and not noticing the smell is beyond my comprehension. When I fill my diesel tanks I double check that I'm pumping it into the correct fill port and always say to the attendant " are you sure this is diesel?" I've never been given the wrong hose in 50 + years of boating but I still check every time.

Unfortunately it is very common.

On a center console or walkaround, putting gas in the bilge may not be noticeable for quite awhile.

Especially if upwind.

It happens at our busy gas dock a couple times a season.

Pumping gas or diesel in water, water in fuel, gas in diesel, diesel in gas, all these things happen regularly. They seem to happen more at small out of the way marinas, especially those where the pump is far up the hill from the dock. We always do a double check out loud.

It's too bad these things happen but everybody is fallible. I'm totally paranoid about filling up with gasoline instead of diesel. I ask the attendant multiple times, do the fueling myself and actually check what's coming out. I also fill water myself and fortunately water fills are far away from fuel fills and both are clearly marked.

Ken

Last edited:
Tragic accident. Could have been worse.

I am glad that North Pacific placed their fuel fills in such a location that they could never been confused with the water or waste fill/outlet.

I have not had a lot of experience refueling. The sailboats never needed much and I have only owned the NP43 for a year. Even then, I usually only burn 2 gph. Even so, almost every time I refuel the attended hands me the nozzle and as he/she does so they verbally reaffirm that I need diesel and not gasoline. Good practice. I have noticed that they are normally more careful than I given my relative inexperience.

It had to be hard to breath down there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom