Leaking diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PAL

I just changed my valves and hoses that connect my fuel tanks. I used 1" hose designed for diesel, it slips on to a barb fitting and is secured with two hose clamps. I rotated the screw part of the clamp so they are on opposite sides. They are as tight as I can make them and they still weep. Any ideas?

If the hoses slip on they are the wrong size. 7/8" or 3/4"??

Use a thread sealant on the barb fitting, it lubricates the fit, and helps seal it up.
I use Rector Seal #5, available at Lowe's.
As mentioned above, verify that the sizing is correct, if the hose pushes onto the barb easily, its probably the wrong size!

Agree with xsbank. I had 3/8 hose on 5/16 barbs and didn't realize it until I did a really thorough fuel system test. It's easy to have a mismatch.

Well there are hoses designed to slip very tightly over barbed fittings that require no hose clamps.

Then there are hoses designed to be used with clamps. If you have two clamps on your hose and they are both actually seated over the barbed fitting and snugged down tight, I'd say it's unlikely that is where the leak is. Especially with new hose.

Unless the hose is way, way oversized for the fitting.

Clean and dry everything off and use paper towels to pin point the leak.

Use a thread sealant on the barb fitting, it lubricates the fit, and helps seal it up.
I use Rector Seal #5, available at Lowe's !

+1. Tony Athen's favorite stuff for fuel fittings too. I've got a tube in my boating 101 bag.

+1. Tony Athen's favorite stuff for fuel fittings too. I've got a tube in my boating 101 bag.

Very true. I just installed one of Seaboard Marine's Envirovent on my engine. A tube of Rectorseal 5 was includes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom