Jones Act Waiver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CptAdrienne

Vessel Name
Marie Knight
Vessel Make
Trawler
Hello!

I am looking for someone who has applied/received a Jones Act Waiver. I am a small trawler which will operate as a 6-pack for pleasure chartering. Think sunset cruise, happy hour, wedding proposal or small wedding.

The Martime Administration said that I have to get the waiver and I am specifically looking on how question #9 was answered by anther small charter service.

Thank you and if I am in the wrong place here, please let me know.

Cpt. Adrienne

Questions 9 and 10 on the MARDA waiver form are your opinion, and there is really no correct answer. A 6 pack pleasure charter vessel will have minimal/no impact on other operators in your area, and a positive impact on local shipyard operations (more regular haulouts/maintenace, etc).

Thank you very much! I figured the least information (text) the better.

Good luck with your waiver. Know a couple of people that had some real problems getting one. Hope you don't have any issues.

Hi, can you expand on that at all? Do you know what difficulties they had?

Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't know the specifics. You are doing the right thing asking for help. Keep asking for people that have done the waiver and see what they say. Good luck.

My neighbor recently received his. The potential hiccup he ran into was that he asked for CA, OR, WA, and AK as the sates of operation.

He was called by the MARAD folks, and asked about AK. He stated that he just listed the West Coast states, as he thought he may head to AK one day. He was advised that he should remove AK and apply later if he was certain his operations would take him there, as AK has some stringent regulations that MARAD seekers need to adhere to- and failure to do so wold torpedo the entire app.

He removed AK, and got his waiver.

I am strictly in MA, so hopefully, that will keep it simple enough.

Does the USCG Coast Guard readily provide a listing of active six-pack licenses currently in effect? Otherwise, how would one know what competition one would be intruding?

Once the MARAD waiver app is submitted, it gets published for public comment and response. If a local jurisdiction thinks they maybe affected, they can contest the granting of the waiver.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom