Putting an offer on a boat sight unseen tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I urge you to get a survey. I did and knew exactly what I was getting into.

I used to own a 24ft, Sea Ray 454 single gas engine. WAY too expensive. I do not know what the fuel capacity is on the boat you are looking at but hope it would be quite large. You will need it to get to the Bahamas. My current boat just got back from the Bahamas and I averaged 3 miles per gallon. (diesel) I personally would never own a gas engine again.

I wish you well on your search.

Thanks Donna. I would a absolutely love diesel but they are hard to find in this size. That and our plan is to eventually bring it back to our lake, which doesn't have diesel on it.

Even if this thing gets 1 mpg, going to the Bahamas is about 50 miles, which means I'm going to burn 50 gallons. I'm sure a boat this size with twin 454's will have at least that.

We are getting a survey. Our offer will be contingient on the survey.

I agree. Certainly the diesels will be more efficient, but I just cruised for two days in my 29' with a single 8.1 liter gasser:eek::eek:
We got 1.5 nmpg at 8 knots. Sure it's half as efficient as some are reporting, but half of what? If you're not going hundreds of miles, big deal. It's a couple hundred bucks.

First off, your insurance company may require a survey. So, you might as well get it BEFORE you buy.
Now for a short story: When I was looking for my last sailboat I was on many sailing sites. I ended up in a Hunter sailboat forum. There was a guy there that was like the ultimate guru. He had made many, many modifications over the years. He was like the forums ultimate hero. While I was looking for a boat, his boat came up for sale. Coincidentally, his boat was less than an hours drive away. After seeing tons of his posts and photos I was so excited to get to see his boat in person> I drove over to the boat. I was in awe but not like you think. It was one big POS. The quality was really bad. Also, his 'inovations' were more of a detriment than an asset. PHOTOS DO LIE.
Just thought that I might relay this first person story. Anyway, it's your life and your money. Best of luck in whatever you decide

First off, your insurance company may require a survey. So, you might as well get it BEFORE you buy.
Now for a short story: When I was looking for my last sailboat I was on many sailing sites. I ended up in a Hunter sailboat forum. There was a guy there that was like the ultimate guru. He had made many, many modifications over the years. He was like the forums ultimate hero. While I was looking for a boat, his boat came up for sale. Coincidentally, his boat was less than an hours drive away. After seeing tons of his posts and photos I was so excited to get to see his boat in person> I drove over to the boat. I was in awe but not like you think. It was one big POS. The quality was really bad. Also, his 'inovations' were more of a detriment than an asset. PHOTOS DO LIE.
Just thought that I might relay this first person story. Anyway, it's your life and your money. Best of luck in whatever you decide

Thanks for your story. Honestly that's a really good one, on any forum. Every forum has that guy and that drives home the point the internet is one big story. There's tons of amazing information but there just as much bad.

I know this thread is long and I'm sure you missed it....I'm getting a survey.

I know this thread is long and I'm sure you missed it....I'm getting a survey.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I missed it and glad you are getting a survey.

That saved me from writing about a news article about this guy that was getting married to someone his family had promised him to. After the wedding when she took off her head and facial covering he immediately wanted a divorce.

Anyway, wish you the best of luck.

ransporting your 31 Mainship Sedan Bridge

Steve,

I saw your post on Transporting your 31 Mainship Sedan Bridge. I was wondering how removing the radar arch went for you. Was it pretty straight forward? Did you have to cut the wire connections or did they have disconnects? I am purchasing a 1999 ship it has a fiberglass arch instead of the metal. I am shipping it up to NY And will need to remove the arch. I appreciate any information you may have.

Great boat for the Great South Bay. I did my boating there for more years than I care to remember. I came out of Sayville, Browns River. Now I am in Punta Gorda Fl and just picked up a Mainship 34 Trawler. Charlotte Harbor is just like the Great South Bay. Shallow water and plenty of places to go. Just a longer season. Good luck with your boat. I would use caution with the arch. Make sure you have some pully's hooked up, you don't know how heavy it is. If it doesn't have a disconnect, this would be the time to add one.

Steve,

I saw your post on Transporting your 31 Mainship Sedan Bridge. I was wondering how removing the radar arch went for you. Was it pretty straight forward? Did you have to cut the wire connections or did they have disconnects? I am purchasing a 1999 ship it has a fiberglass arch instead of the metal. I am shipping it up to NY And will need to remove the arch. I appreciate any information you may have.

Hey Blazer. So funny, I had to re read my original post to remember what I said. So much has changed in a year! So we bought this boat with intentions to see how we like doing the whole coast thing then ship it back to the lake once we were sick of commuting to the boat. Well, we had no idea we’d love boating on the coast as much as we do. We are actually selling the Mainship and buying an older trawler in the Keys. The Mainship would be a Great Lake boat, but we aren’t ready to give up the coast.

So to answer your question, we never shipped the boat. I think ours would have been simple though. The radar arch is metal, it unbolts. Looks like some sealant, like silicon was used, so that would need to be addressed. The cables will pull right out. For our boat, that should be it. We bought this boat specifically to be able to ship easily, others I’ve read are a bitch.

So sorry I can’t help with shipping! But if you need advice with driving 4 hrs to
Your boat, let me know!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom