Remotor grand banks 32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CIER2

Vessel Name
PLECIER
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
Hello,
I am considering to place a new engine in my wooden grand banks.
Now it is an old ford lehman 120 hp.
Considering a cummins 210 hp.
What would happen ? Much faster ?
Or will the boat break in two ?
The hull is in top shape.
Thanks.

Why?? If you want to go fast get a different boat. You might get a knot or two better. If the Leyman is tired it can be rebuilt. I think it can be rebuilt in the boat-but I'm not sure. You won't have to do all the auxiliary items that you have to do to change engines. Big difference in cost. Plus, a good rebuild will probably outlast the boat.

I totally agree with ddalme! The Lehman is perfect for that boat.. Rebuild it!

Cier2
The EU has some pretty strict emissions regs for remotoring. Would this preclude the drop in of a "new" engine vs rebuild of the old Lehman? Have you compared all in costs between rebuilding the old vs a Cummins 210? Would you do the replacement work yourself?

GB offered the Cummins 210 in later models of the 32, so it will be a good choice. But even removing the Lehman and sending it out for a complete reubuild will be cheaper than a reconned Cummins considering mounts, exhaust, shaft, etc.

David

Greetings,
Mr. C2. Welcome aboard. I fully agree with the above. Want a faster boat? Buy another one. Tired Lehman? Get it rebuilt. We have 2 Lehmans on board. I would rebuild both before I'd ever replace them.

If you keep it, take it out and rebuild it, strongly suggest you look at putting it back on new softer engine mount while using an isolation coupler between your prop shaft and the transmission.

You will not believe the difference in makes in smoothing out vibration and vibration associated noises.

I have 210 Cummins, but I'd say rebuild. The Ford Lehman is right for your application, and it would be much cheaper.

Agree on rebuilding the Lehman. Great engines.

Rebuild the old FL?
That's the cheapest route.

Sounds like the OP wants more speed. So getting a different boat is much better than work'in on the old FL. The OP should probably look at and take a ride on a Bayliner or equivalent. Maybe he wants a cruiser. If so he'd be numb to get a trawler cuze they are popular. Unless getting the in thing is #1.

210 hp may add a knot or so. 210 hp will NOT get that boat planing reliably so if that is the thought it won't work.

ALthough I do not have a 32 G.B. my boat is very similar and the engine is 217hp. The only time it planed it planed very slowly, 11 K, and once our gear was aboard that was the last time it planed.

A new engine will likely require mounting changes, shaft change, gear change, prop change, exhaust change and a bunch of other smaller details I haven't even thought about . Whatever the engine costs you, the final cost will be almost double.

The Cummins is a fine engine, better than the Lehman, but be sure you need it before replacing. Those Lehmans were just the ticket for a huge number of boats like yours.

Get the Lehman rebuilt.

Sadly...you are all telling him the one thing he didn't want to hear. Why..? 'Cause there's nowt so strange as folks...'specially ones that want to go faster..!
:D

Plan for the new engine and tranny and prop and shaft and cutlass bearing and associated cooling, exhaust and electrical system changes.

How much money do you want to spend on this 40+ year old woody?

Last Easter we went for a cruse on a 35' timber Halvorsen that had been re powered by a Hyundai SeasAll .Wow what a smooth quite engine with little vibration from 900rpm to 1800rpm it was like the one big sweet spot. Id have no hesitation choosing a Hyundai SeasAll as a Cummins replacement

Last edited:
I am totaly convnced not to change but to rebuild !
Thanks a lot.
Question : can they rebuilt without taking the engine out ?
Because the exaust etc is new.
It even has glendinning motorcontrol up and down.
The reason of changing engine is that the old one is using a liter oil in ten hours.
The head has been done last year...

I am totaly convnced not to change but to rebuild !
Thanks a lot.
Question : can they rebuilt without taking the engine out ?
Because the exaust etc is new.
It even has glendinning motorcontrol up and down.
The reason of changing engine is that the old one is using a liter oil in ten hours.
The head has been done last year...

A litre of oil in ten hours travel. Is that all..? I'd call that only a bit above average. That engine has a lot of life yet in my view, especially if the head has just been done. My trusty 120hp Lehman would probably burn that. I seldom do ten hours non-stop engine run-time, but I think I'd have to add about a litre after that. In an engine that holds a good 15 litres, plus, that's quite modest, I think. I think the man should just lie back and enjoy the ride, and save about $5000 to $10000 or more. What do others with Lehmans think..?

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. C2. 1 liter/10hrs? Our engines used to use about that amount BUT, after having read a lot about Lehman oil use, I came to the conclusion that the dipstick was marked INCORRECTLY and I was adding too much oil to keep it topped up! When those engines were used in a perfectly horizontal orientation (as in a land based generator or power plant) the factory oil level mark is correct BUT when mounted at an angle (as in most if not ALL vessels), one has to adjust the oil level mark on the dipstick.

Try this: Completely drain all your oil (wait until your next oil change) and add EXACTLY the amount of oil as required by the manual and then either note where the oil is on the dipstick OR re-mark the dipstick to reflect the proper level. I suspect you will find your oil consumption goes down. Even if it doesn't, oil is cheaper than a re-build.

Thanks mr Firefly !
Indeed, after 6 more hours the level on the stick did not get lower !
Just checked after your post.
So no rebuild and no new engine.

Greetings,
Mr. C2. You're entirely welcome sir but it was NOT my idea. Simply another useful tip provided to me by the knowledge base here on TF.

Thanks mr Firefly !
Indeed, after 6 more hours the level on the stick did not get lower !
Just checked after your post.
So no rebuild and no new engine.

What RTF says is quite right. I notice if I put the whole 15 L in the container that my oil comes in, (I use Magnatec diesel), the level is just above on on the full level. After a bit of running, it settles on the lower full line below the cross-hatched markings, then it just seems to stay there until I change the oil about a year later. We don't do huge mileage, but I seldom have to add anything, unless we do a very long continuous run, and she only smokes a wee tad at cold start until warm.

A bit blue smoke I have when cold.
Often cold in holland ?

Iv read on the forum that snake /oil gun oil can eliminate oil usage increase speed and reduce consumption . Cant remember if it went in the sump ,fuel or fresh water ?

RTF remains a TF bright light. On a different note, many a marine engine - on an angle - rear main has been replaced finding out later that the oil level was too high and "flooding" it at rest.

Just fill it to the full mark on the stick and don't worry about the level till it gets close to or at the low/add mark.

You might be surprised how many hours you go before the need to top it off.

I would consider a Grand Banks with an engine that large to be worth LESS than one with a more appropriately sized engine. You don't buy a Grand Banks to water ski behind it. Even the 120 hp standard engine is more than enough to get it up to hull speed and a bit over, so anything more is just wasted.

If you need to repower I would do it with a newer engine that is as close to the original hp as possible. Even a little less would not be a bad thing.

Of course, there do seem to be a whole lot of the "ARR, ARR, ARR... MORE POWER!!!" guys out there. So I don't suppose the bigger engine would hurt resale value much, if at all. But it would be a negative to me.

You money, your choice.

Back
Top Bottom