Trawlers and Subs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustBob

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
2018 Hampton Endurance 658
A nice combination, I'd say...

Attachments

• SubChinook-5221340.jpg
    SubChinook-5221340.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 184
I'll bet that sub could clear out a crowded anchorage or two. ?

Great shot. It's not often we see those "denizens of the deep" on the surface. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Growing up I would see those subs heading back and forth in the Narrows as they went down to the sonar testing range just South of Fox Island. During the Cold War they did that a lot. Don't see them down there much at all anymore.

Very nice photo. From the Cumberland Island anchorage off the Greyfield Inn, it's possible to see missile boats coming or going from NSB (Naval Submarine Base) Kings Bay (Georgia). Always a cool, frankly amazing thing to observe, given how invisible this aspect of our defense infrastructure is to most Americans.

A 688 first flight. Not many left, I don't think...

Bob,

I thought of your username this last weekend when I heard a captain call the USCG offering to assist another vessel around McNeil Island. He identified his boat as the "vessel Bob".

Bob was also the name of the 52' Farr racing yacht owned by former BP CEO Tony Hayward. Made famous during the BP oil well blowout in the Gulf of Mexico, when Mr. Hayward complained that he'd like to "get his life back," and was shortly afterward photographed out sailing around the Isle of Wight.

Couldn't blame him too much, I suppose - it's not like he was going to personally dive on the blowout and plug the leak.

Bob was also the name of the 52' Farr racing yacht owned by former BP CEO Tony Hayward. Made famous during the BP oil well blowout in the Gulf of Mexico, when Mr. Hayward complained that he'd like to "get his life back," and was shortly afterward photographed out sailing around the Isle of Wight.

Couldn't blame him too much, I suppose - it's not like he was going to personally dive on the blowout and plug the leak.
Non the less the optics were not good.

Bob,

I thought of your username this last weekend when I heard a captain call the USCG offering to assist another vessel around McNeil Island. He identified his boat as the "vessel Bob".

I have to say, and I believe I'm qualified to say, "Bob" has to be one of dumbest boat names I have ever heard. Does anyone name their boat Fred, or Hank?

I did see a boat named "Bob's Turn" which I thought was a bit clever.

But anyway glad the call made you think of me!

Here is another "Bob." Here about to enter Carquinez Strait.

Back
Top Bottom