501 or 50 Chris Connie Stuffing Box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cambria lady

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
cambria lady
Vessel Make
1988 Chris 501
Anyone know for sure what size flax the 6V92 stuffing boxes use on the drive shafts? Looks like 1/2 in. to me but not sure. Gary

"Anyone know for sure what size flax the 6V92 stuffing boxes use on the drive shafts? Looks like 1/2 in."

Only way to know for sure is to measure. The simplest is to take loose the crush nut and use the back end of a drill bit to see what fits.

Duramax or similar has replaced flax for a couple of decades.

No required leak underway , no drip when stopped and usually adjusted once after installing.

Duramax Shaft Sealing Systems: Ultra-X High-Performance Packing

www.duramaxmarine.com/shaft-ultrax.htm

Duramax Ultra-X lasts over 5 times longer than other packing. Ultra-X is a high performance, non-asbestos, compression packing that is engineered specifically for the marine industry. ... Unlike flax and other packing materials, once Ultra-X is installed you never need to worry about ...

"Anyone know for sure what size flax the 6V92 stuffing boxes use on the drive shafts? Looks like 1/2 in."

Only way to know for sure is to measure. The simplest is to take loose the crush nut and use the back end of a drill bit to see what fits.

Duramax or similar has replaced flax for a couple of decades.

No required leak underway , no drip when stopped and usually adjusted once after installing.

Duramax Ultra-X lasts over 5 times longer than other packing. Ultra-X is a high performance, non-asbestos, compression packing that is engineered specifically for the marine industry. ... Unlike flax and other packing materials, once Ultra-X is installed you never need to worry about ...

Looks like GFO.
GFO Packing | SG Group Div of MGP Systems Inc.

Size chart for packing.
https://www.emarineinc.com/categories/GFO-Marine-Shaft-Packing

SDOWNEY, Thanks for the info. Shaft is 2 1/2 inches and coupling is super heavy duty with no "locking nut" like most boats. Mine and probably all newer 50 Connies are same with collar and two locking bolts, one on each side.I did measure and did math and think it's 1/2 but not sure and it's there and I'm here and want to do before it launches in Dec and want to be sure. But had a train to catch and no time to pull apart to be sure. Someone out there must have added shaft packing on a 501 or 50 Connie!?

SDOWNEY, Thanks for the info. Shaft is 2 1/2 inches and coupling is super heavy duty with no "locking nut" like most boats. Mine and probably all newer 50 Connies are same with collar and two locking bolts, one on each side.I did measure and did math and think it's 1/2 but not sure and it's there and I'm here and want to do before it launches in Dec and want to be sure. But had a train to catch and no time to pull apart to be sure. Someone out there must have added shaft packing on a 501 or 50 Connie!?

According to this, a 2.5 inch shaft uses a 1/2 inch packing, which makes sense as if following the progression looking at their table.

http://www.boatowner.org/maxumowners/Images/packingchart.jpg

sdowney, Thanks. You know, the old 37 Egg was one of my favorites back in the day. In fact my Buddy's father-in-law bought the " Queen of the show" a 37 ? Egg at the NY boat show, I think early 70s. The boat next to my 1962 40ft Colonial was a beautiful 48ft Golden Egg SF, at Great Kills Staten Island. What shape is yours in, power?

sdowney, Thanks. You know, the old 37 Egg was one of my favorites back in the day. In fact my Buddy's father-in-law bought the " Queen of the show" a 37 ? Egg at the NY boat show, I think early 70s. The boat next to my 1962 40ft Colonial was a beautiful 48ft Golden Egg SF, at Great Kills Staten Island. What shape is yours in, power?

Mine is a 1970 wooden Egg with extended salon. Very roomy boat. I rebuilt the hull in 2006. Yes, a wood boat is an interesting project.

The power is still OEM original International 392 marinized by Palmer. We use it for day trips mostly like a picnic boat and do some fishing. I rebuilt those engines too.

Back
Top Bottom