Caulking vs. rubber gasket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotoman

Guru
I need to re-install all my deck filling caps and I realised the ones for the diesel tanks had a rubber gasket instead of caulk. They are worn out and broken but it made me think I could by a sheets of rubber gasket material and do them all with this material instead of messing with caulking. Any thoughts on this or previous experience?

Here's what I have in mind:
https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en...2X36IN/p/EJM6030-1/8C?analytics=searchResults

Personally, I would use butyl tape if you can tighten it up enough to compress it.

Caulk can conform to much more irregularities so would use caulk.

But if the surface is nearly flat or flat almost anything will do. Many or most of the gaskets on car engines are paper.

I redid the caulking of an air intake and water filling and used both. I made a thin rubber gasket to go between the fitting and the hull and used caulking on both side of the rubber to be sure it will be tight and dry. May be a total overkill but it has not leaked a drop since :).

L.

Caulk can conform to much more irregularities so would use caulk.

But if the surface is nearly flat or flat almost anything will do. Many or most of the gaskets on car engines are paper.

I just redid my entire deck so new fiberglass. Flat and smooth! I just went to the autostore and bought a sheet or gasket material. Cork on one side and rubber on the other one.

Id prefer a quality caulk instead of a gasket but thats me. I hope you're still going to use a caulk/sealant in the fastening hardware that hold the deck fill down. Gasket material wont stop water intrusion at the screw holes.

I am a fan of butyl tape but check to make sure it is not attacked by the fuel you are using. Permeates would be a good candidate if butyl tape doesn't work. Please, no silicone (Sorry RT, I had to say that word!).

For deck fittings like fuel, water and the like I consider them to be lifetime installations.

Because of that I seal them using 5200 fast cure.

Permatex... spell checked into the boards.

Back
Top Bottom