1978 Marine Trader 34'???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toocoys

Guru
Hello all,

I'm not a trawler owner and know about as much about them as a credit card captain. I'm currently a sailboat and small power boat owner.

We never thought we'd be able to own a trawler, but the opportunity has came upon us and we have some major research and option weighing to think about. We are full time RV'ers and we'd like to have something that we could live aboard during the summers.

This 1978 Marine Trader is currently owned by a friends dad. He used to me an aircraft mechanic for a major airline before retiring. He bought this trawler at auction and completely rebuilt the engine and electrics in the boat. Everything works and it runs like a brand new engine. We even went for a ride on it today and I got to drive it from below, as well as on deck.

The biggest issues this boat has right now are all cosmetic. The topside needs a new coating of AwlGrip, but it has already been sanded three times and prepped for primer. And the interior Captains Quarters needs a new wall and window installed on the aft, port corner. He has the window, just needs to reinstall and seal it, and then repair the interior because it was taken down to the outer fiberglass layer and stringers on the bottom.

Aside from those two major things, the rest is brightwork, and cleaning. It has had a new bottom job last month, a new rebuilt and extended rudder, the prop was completely refinished, and the out of water survey was completed and it passed inspection. The diesel tanks were completely removed, reconditioned, and replaced. The engine has a new starter, new fuel filters, basically new everything and was cleaned from the inside out. He says it only has about 200 hours on it.

With all that said, considering what you know, what would you expect to pay for a boat in this condition? And what are they worth fully restored?

Any additional information about this brand of trawler would be advantageous and greatly appreciated. Especially real world owners experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1833.JPG
    IMG_1833.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 735
  • IMG_1835.JPG
    IMG_1835.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1837.JPG
    IMG_1837.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1839.JPG
    IMG_1839.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1844.JPG
    IMG_1844.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1845.JPG
    IMG_1845.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1850.JPG
    IMG_1850.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1855.JPG
    IMG_1855.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
That's a loaded question.

yachtworld.com and search for comparable looking boats in your area. After that ask a broker if he has any boats at his dock in your general price range you can step aboard and look at.

Enjoy the hunt

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Mr. tc. A more appropriate question is how much are you willing to pay? Any vessel is only worth what one will pay for it...

Mine was reported as worth $35K on it's survey in October last year. I think it was a tad low but I'm prejudice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom