Newbie to Forum & Newbie Trawler Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WallyM

Vessel Name
Santosha
Vessel Make
1993 - 34' Marine Trader - Aft Cabin
Hello all;

I have just joined the forum and am looking forward to learning more about cruising on a trawler. My wife and I have just bought a 1993 - 34' Marine Trader (Aft Cabin). Prior to this boat we owned a 36' Nauticat Motorsailer for 10 years. The Nauticat was wonderful but the time had come for me to crawl down from the masts and experience life a little closer to the water's surface.

The "new" boat is currently berthed in Florida and this summer I will be sailing it to a marina close to my home in London, Ontario. Any advice offered about travelling north on the ICW, on to NYC & then up the Hudson & Erie Canal would be most welcome! I'm especially interested in advice regarding how much travel time I should plan for each segment of the journey.

Cheers!

Wally MacKinnon
London, Ontario
Marine Trader "Santosha"

Greetings,
Welcome aboard eh? In good weather, any more than 70 miles a day is a LONG day. We did the Erie in a 34' MT many years ago. We did have to step our mast to reduce air draft. Max. height escapes me now but is easily checked. Buy tow insurance for your US section.

Thanks!

Sage advice - much appreciated! I figured if I managed an average of 50-60 miles each day I would be doing well. Don't want to rush too much - so many interesting places to see & visit along the way.

Back
Top Bottom