DeLorme InReach (Garmin)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktdtx

Guru
Vessel Make
24" El Pescador
Trying to set up the "breadcrumbs" or tracking function on the unit-similar to what many here have done.

I thought it would be simple or I am getting simple.

Hoped to get a link to a map which showed the yellow dots which were dropped at intervals I set. Then I hoped to be able to email this link to whomever I wanted or put the link in a blog or on Facebook whenever I wanted.

Seems DeLorme (Garmin) wants to do it for me to a list of email addresses or to my Facebook.
What am I missing....it can't be that difficult.

Thanks

Ken

Ken, in the end call Garmin. (If you can locate the phone #, you have to really seek it out. Its like a secret to be kept so. I have it some where well hidden it appears as I can not place it here for you) The young folk who respond are excellent. they are able to handle an old fart like me with great patience.
I do know that you have to link your InReach unit with a computer online to establish your' "Mapshare" although I understand that is not what it is called now that Garmin took over. My mapshare site still works so I am guessing the process to make an account will be similar. Call them, they will talk you though it in a simple clear manner, said from a old guy who has called them over six times on various issues, none that are chargeable to InReach or Garmin, great folk to talk with.
PS: Be sure to stop the tracking mode when you finish for the day or voyage. the charge continues at the rate you chose is my understanding)

Al-Ketchikan

Thanks.
Was hoping to not have to admit I'm getting old but think that after the assured robot answering machine calling will be the most direct way.
Google found this number"

That looks to be the one. No robots! Real nice young folk who I found to be as I said, very patient .They also follow up with a recap of the discussion by email immediately following the conversation. Can not stress enough the patients.
Al:smitten:

We are leaving Anacortes early afternoon.
Probably only go as far as Sucia or Blaine today.

Ken

Ok Ken, we will look for you on AIS. We are at Gowlland Harbour, ASD should be here this afternoon.
Plan to rest up for a day or two, then continue north.
Safe travels

John

My optimism has conspired to slap me in the face with last minute details and a suddenly dead dinghy battery.

Seems to make more sense to go in the A.M.
One of those reluctant, conservative, don't be in a hurry decisions.

Ken, fix it while you can in the U.S., supplies get scarce and expensive up north. Safe travels bud.

Finally- 1300 departing Anacortes.
Sucia tonight.

Let us know if your recipients of the InReach are receiving. If so, give us a primer of steps you do to start, finish. Confirm to others how the system works, I personally would like to hear A-Z of a daily routine. Thanks.

Al-Ketchikan

Please forgive my ignorance here...but if you have AIS....what does the Delorme option offer you ?? Can't your people follow you on any of the public AIS monitoring sites ??

Please forgive my ignorance here...but if you have AIS....what does the Delorme option offer you ?? Can't your people follow you on any of the public AIS monitoring sites ??

The inreach allows you to both send a distress call via satellite, which AIS, VHF, or cellphone can't do far from land; and it allows for text messaging, in addition to the tracking that can be posted for others to see...

Keep in mind that AIS is essentially a radio signal with gps and identity information encoded into it (as I understand it.) As such, you have to be within radio range of an AIS receiver for one of those sites to pick you up.

I was watching Bruce and Dorsey head South on Esmeralde. Their AIS signature dropped out just South of the Narrows Bridge. It picked up again at the same spot when they were heading back North. Other boats would see them on their display, but followers on the web wouldn't.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom