Advice needed for hose replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poppy21

Vessel Name
Mister Butch
Vessel Make
1940 Homemade Workboat / Pleasur
I need to get a recommendation on what type of hose to use on my boat going from the through hose fitting to the strainers and the to the raw water pump. I was working in my bilge the other day and decided to clean my strainers. When i went to isolate the system several valves became inoperable. I was lucky enough to get both main valves closed but one of them the the stem broke on it. After further investigation ( and several other valves failing) I discovered that all of the valves in the system were globe valves made in China. I have already gone out and bought new valves (brass groco 1/4 turn with Stainless Steel inners) but i need to replace all of the hoses in the system. Can someone point me in the right direct on the proper hose to use and any other tip that will insure that I have a safe reliable system. Thanks

Last edited:
We've used Shieldsflex II (blue stripe) on mostly-straight runs, and Vetus exhaust hose (yellow stripe) on runs with more complicated bends. I think the latter is slightly more expensive, but don't know for sure, off-hand...

-Chris

I will have long radius bends. I will see where I can get some shield fix hose. Thanks

Re enforced hose from through hull to water pump as the pump sucks in water which can collapse the hose.

I hope that those Groco ball valves are bronze and not brass as you indicate. In salt water service, the zinc gets leached out of brass and it will fail. Bronze has low zinc content and is an alloy of mostly copper and tin.

Brass can be used on potable water and fuel systems but never sea water.

David

They are bronze. The guy at the boat yard recommend them. The have the ability to insert a grease zero in the body.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom