Wood Panel Scratch Mainship 350/390

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherAlyssa

Vessel Name
Heather Alyssa
Vessel Make
Mainship 350/390
HELP!!! Hello trawler friends. The work seems to never end. Whether it's routine preventative maintenance, the failure of a part due to age, or..... self-induced issues like this one.

I accidentally scratched the wood paneling on the bulkhead next to the stairs that go down to the staterooms and head of my 1999 Mainship 350/390.

Does anyone know what type of wood this is, and how I can repair it. I'm thinking I can sand it and then put some kind of finish on it. I'm pretty sure that the wood paneling is the same on other 350/390s. I just don't want to turn the scratches into a complete catastrophe with an improper repair.

I'm having a renaming ceremony this weekend, and I'd like to fix it before then.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Alex

Try a bit of traditional Cetol rubbed or lightly brushed on. I was amazed how it blended into different finishes in my kitchen and made minor scratches and even larger steam damaged areas simply disappear. On my Grand Banks interior teak same thing... minor dings just disappear. I suspect that on a bigger scratch, where some of the wood has been excavated, it will at least blend in the color and make the scratch less obvious. No commercial connection with me, I was just happily surprised when I tried it.
Good luck.
Oldersalt

In case it is veneer be very careful with the sanding so you don't go through the veneer.

Without knowing the extent of the scratch, this may help. Antique furniture shops often stock pens, like texta or sharpie pens, containing a variety of color stains. Very useful for disguising scratches. You can also buy timber stain at the hardware store, dilute the stain and apply with a fine paintbrush. A "french polisher" does it all the time, merci beaucoup.

No way you're getting by that easy! You need to show us a picture of the damage....THEN we can make recommendations for repair or replacement.

Don't tell anyone, but we all breathe a sigh of relief when one of us makes a mistake and posts it. It makes the rest of us feel just a little more normal.

Lol. I'm at work. When I go home tonight I'll stop by the marina and snap a picture. I just noticed today. I'm so pissed. I tripped on the top step of the cabin and fell down. I had something hanging by the wall and it dragged between the wall and I as I fell. My daughter made sure to laugh at me. That's before I noticed the scratch of course. [emoji51] I'll take a picture. It's killing me.

I have a 400T and the interior is Cherry veneer. I'm not sure what finish they used on it.

I'm pretty sure the wall of my 350/390 is not cherry veneer. I've been comparing it to different swatches that I've been finding online and it resembles a natural veneer. I appreciate the heads up though. Standby for a photo when I get to the boat.

IMG_8042.JPGIMG_8052.JPGIMG_8056.JPG

It looks like a satin varnish over unstained timber with the varnish scratched off. Do you get color match to the adjacent varnished areas if you wet a finger and rub it on a scratched area? If so, a light sand + careful varnishing with a small artists brush might work.

IMG_8067.JPG

I'm going to try this inexpensive repair attempt first and see what happens.

Sanding may / may not help hide it - you will have to judge based on how noticeable the "scratch is to the touch vs visual.
I think I'd try some thinner (vs water - won't raise the grain the way water will) to see how the color matches - if reasonably close I think I'd try wiping on some oil based satin finish vs brushing

Check it out. I wiped the scratch with wood cleaner and it's basically the same color now as the rest of the veneer. I can still see the scratch, and I know it's there, but less obvious! FAR less obvious. I may be able to live with that.

I have the same year, make, model. The PO hung a teak chart holder in that spot for years. It made it too narrow going up and down the stairs. I removed the chart holder and now there is a large square of unfaded wood. However, there is also evidence of fading when you open the cabinet door in the galley as well. I'll need to completely sand all the wood in the entire cabin and refinish everything to make sure it all matches properly.

For now, I'm covering square on the wall along the stairs with a local chart mounted in a thin frame behind plexi. That might work for you until you can figure out how best to fix it permanently.

No, no, no! Let the fading go. Give it time, and light.

Howard's Furniture Restorer. Golden Oak, Home Depot, works great on dings like that. IMG_2465.JPG

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom