Revisiting TV - replace M3 unit with??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star0210

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Star
Vessel Make
2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
We currently have a M3 satellite thingy...that part works fine I think. It's the old outdated receiver box that goes with it that keeps crapping out. We spent about $800 bucks last fall having it "fixed" which included sending the box back to the manufacturer to replace something. It worked for a few weeks after that and hasn't worked since.
We pay $7.99 extra per month on our direct tv bill for the boat service.
I'm ready to ditch the whole thing and replace it with something new but I don't know what. I would like something that we can continue to use our direct tv service with.

Suggestions please?

What box do you have. I have a M1 box with my kvh satellite dish that I have had repaired three times.. I asked AVH if these boxes were problematic and the answer of course was no period you can no longer buy a new box as kvh does not make them. Their new systems use the DirecTV box. That is 120volt

We have an older system with the integrated receiver/controller box. 12V system.

Although I have the M1 I believe it uses a similar box. I do not know if the new equipment is any better. I'm not sure what options there are as kvh seems to be the most popular brand for

We currently have a M3 satellite thingy...that part works fine I think. It's the old outdated receiver box that goes with it that keeps crapping out. We spent about $800 bucks last fall having it "fixed" which included sending the box back to the manufacturer to replace something. It worked for a few weeks after that and hasn't worked since.
I'm ready to ditch the whole thing and replace it with something new but I don't know what. I would like something that we can continue to use our direct tv service with.

Suggestions please?

We have Directv (HD) at our dock, I also have a Verizon wireless account along with their Jet Pack which helps as long as we are within reach of wifi service. Sure, the Jet Pack is no true substitute for satellite but it along with a Roku box provides excellent HD TV for Netflex and numerous other viewing opportunities. And for those interested CNN, Fox, MSNBC and many others are available on line via the Jet Box.

In addition of course is the inexpensive HD antenna for local TV. I thought about adding a satellite dish to the boat before using Verizon's wireless......and no, I am not a part of their sales group :)

EDIT:
I believe that Directv offers .....for a fee of course... online service.

Last edited:

Suggestions please?

Considerreplacing with an Intellian. I did a sell install. Pretty much plug and play paying attention to the manual. We have a Dish TV RV account enabling changing local channels to wherever we happen to be.

I just finished removing a M3 and two Directv boxes. Instead we use Apple TV when we have a good enough wifi connection, and an air antenna when we don't. And when we have neither, there is always great music on SirusXM and a good book.

We splurged on an Intellian s6HD satellite antenna and DirecTV service (we have DirecTV at home), including a DVR, on our new boat. Expensive, yes. So far, it's great. We are dependent on the DVR so we can be independent of network schedules. Also, great for zipping through the commercials.

We cruise about half the year, so think it's worth it to have quality TV. DirecTV still hasn't solved the issue of local channels - we've been through this for more than ten years. We give them an address where we are and, when that reception starts to wear out as we travel, give them a new, local, address. Darn FCC!

Tom Law
American Tug 43
DORADO

We splurged on an Intellian s6HD satellite antenna and DirecTV service (we have DirecTV at home), including a DVR, on our new boat. Expensive, yes. So far, it's great. We are dependent on the DVR so we can be independent of network schedules. Also, great for zipping through the commercials.

We cruise about half the year, so think it's worth it to have quality TV. DirecTV still hasn't solved the issue of local channels - we've been through this for more than ten years. We give them an address where we are and, when that reception starts to wear out as we travel, give them a new, local, address. Darn FCC!

Tom Law
American Tug 43
DORADO

An Intellian S2 or S3 is much less expensive but Dish TV will have to be your provider. Plus, for a one-time $40 fee, you can use an external hard drive as your DVR. Also, with an RV account the user can turn the service on and off at will to save charges when not aboard for awhile. Dish charges $7 to turn on/off.

This is the box we have. This is what isn't working.

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 60
This is the box we have. This is what isn't working.

Yes same receiver I have it is no longer being manufactured but kvh can repair it they repaired my box about two months ago at a cost of $400 period I am very disappointed in kvh that they no longer support their equipment. next time it fails I will be moving to another manufacturer

Directv for replacement? But I though you wanted new options?
They don't have a replacement. We have already spent around $800 on the stupid thing already. I can send it to them again and have them fix it again but why throw more money at an old outdated crappy system.
So yes, looking at new options.

It's just money right? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

They don't have a replacement. We have already spent around $800 on the stupid thing already. I can send it to them again and have them fix it again but why throw more money at an old outdated crappy system.
So yes, looking at new options.

It's just money right? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Verizon Jet Pack with a Verizon account, Roku box and a HDTV antenna from Amazon such as

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2KHH98/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for $20 delivered for locals and you will have the best 4K tv available. This what I have and it works. I prefer Roku rather than Apple TV based on reviews although Apple TV is an option.

Next package up your old satellite system and dump it on Ebay. Just my thoughts--

EDIT: The Jet Pack provides high speed internet service wherever Verizon's signals reach and they have out standing coverage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom