just had housing painted on my Grand Banks and blistering!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Modarcy3054

Vessel Name
Grand Cru
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 1971
Only on the port side which is subjected more to weather. This is a wooden beauty classic design and very dismayed about this and wondering what caused this? This is not on the hull but on the upper housing.
Big issue as the person who did the job is coming up with all kinds of excuses.
Best,
Mo

Mo, I have that problem on the painted timber exterior layer(about 1 cm thick) on my transom.
What is in the blisters? Water?
What was it painted with?
Was it in a shed and well protected?
Was it humid during the painting period?
Is the paint used the same as the previous paint(? 2 pack over single pack or vv?)
Did you see the prep work, was it thorough?
Finally, what are the excuses. And upsetting as it may be, how about pics of the blistering?

Have a recurring bubble on the hull using marine/oil rig/supertanker grade enamel.
$h1t happens apparently.

Paint on wood bubbling comes from painting damp wood.

Pics? Also is the previous layer of paint known as to type? Was it reduced down, roughed, cleaned?

Prep, prep, prep

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

Still need another coat of primer and sand some more, then it's time for color.

Only on the port side which is subjected more to weather. This is a wooden beauty classic design and very dismayed about this and wondering what caused this? This is not on the hull but on the upper housing.
Big issue as the person who did the job is coming up with all kinds of excuses.
Best,
Mo
I went through the same......so learned a few things : never paint wood when humidity of the actual wood reads more than 15%. TrY to find out what paint was used originally, or what was the last coat? Unfortunately I have not been able to find out what American Marie used in 1968, but I am pretty certain it was an oil based paint and primer. So now I am stripping the cabin down to bare wood and start over again........would love to find out what original paint was.......good luck, hope it will work out in the end!

Very true that bubbling paint = wet wood. It MIGHT not be from water that was there prior to painting.

Is there a leak? Technically a leak top side could wick into the wood and push out causing the paint to bubble from the inside.

Take a look at Smiths penetrating epoxy sealer known as CPES .... Wood boat Resto guys use it works quite well ...not a 'west' type epoxy ...Great base for wood.

Hi, thanks for the tip! By sheer coincidence I heard about this a few days ago, and bought it, so will use it in a few weeks. U will post my findings. Thanks to all of you who reacted with advice, much apreciated!!

The wood needs to be dry even for CPES. I don't use that make by name but a similar water thin epoxy intended for the same applications.

Take a look for leaking just above such as from the windows. I too have wood framed windows and over the years have epoxied and caulked the actual track mounting areas . I didn't have leaks per se but the actual wood would absorb moisture causing trouble with the frame finish sometimes.

I initially used Pentaphenol and then my CPES equivalant [S-1}. Seems to have helped.
ALso make sure the drains for the sliding windows are clear, kept clear and working or water may back up into areas you never thought of.

Last edited:
If the wood has moisture in it, and you seal the exterior with epoxy wood sealer preserver,and then paint, where does the moisture go?Inside?
I`ve got a problem with my transom which has a layer of (what was exposed )teak over the fibreglass. Someone painted it, the paint bubbles. I can`t work out how the moisture gets in.
Moral is, you need to know why it gets moist.

Cpes and equivelants are a bit of a ripoff, you pay a hell of a lot of money for thinners and very little epoxy and as the thinners flash off it leaves pinholes so no waterproof barrier.

Better option in my opinion is epoxy thinned with 10% metholated spirits and a biocide followed by undiluted coats after first one has kicked off.

CPES works as a penetrating sealer not a hard West type product ..works quite well for the classic wood boat restorers ...wood has to be dry to spec.

I have good results with water based ZINSSER Bull's eye primer under all types of paints. If painting over bare wood surfaces, you need a good primer.

Zinsser® Bulls Eye 1-2-3® Water-Base Primer Product Page

I have never had this blistering problem on my wood boat. I also don't paint damp or wet wood. I don't go to any extremes with painting wood. I will clean the old paint, maybe sand, maybe not, maybe sand to bare wood, various things.

I have found that mixing in pink RV antifreeze into water based paints allows for smooth coats of paint.

Back
Top Bottom