<<Deep breath>> Okay. I'M doing this.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fleetmate

Hello, all.

I just had an almost six-digit windfall drop into my lap. After a week of feeling gobsmacked and wondering what I was going to DO about this, I woke up one day last week with the answer clear in my mind:

I'm buying a trawler.

Haven't decided on which one, exactly, yet.

Big-ish, as I drive semi-truck for a living and am full up to *here* with Tiny House living. Diesel, of course, and I am actually neutral on the single vs twin issue. I spent years and years working as a deckhand on the Mississippi and Ohio river towboats and harbor tugs, so handling a good big boat is nothing new to me-- though I freely admit I'm rusty.

So I wanted to thank in advance all who will help me in the coming months, will be patient with my dim-bulb questions, who will help me chart a true course to a good solution. Y'all seem like a friendly bunch and I'm much looking forward to getting to know everyone better.

Hello, all.

I just had an almost six-digit windfall drop into my lap. After a week of feeling gobsmacked and wondering what I was going to DO about this, I woke up one day last week with the answer clear in my mind:

I'm buying a trawler.

Haven't decided on which one, exactly, yet.

Big-ish, as I drive semi-truck for a living and am full up to *here* with Tiny House living. Diesel, of course, and I am actually neutral on the single vs twin issue. I spent years and years working as a deckhand on the Mississippi and Ohio river towboats and harbor tugs, so handling a good big boat is nothing new to me-- though I freely admit I'm rusty.

So I wanted to thank in advance all who will help me in the coming months, will be patient with my dim-bulb questions, who will help me chart a true course to a good solution. Y'all seem like a friendly bunch and I'm much looking forward to getting to know everyone better.

Wow, that must be a great feeling. I bought a Powerball ticket in a syndicate for a large jackpot next week the other day...you never know...

However, great position to be in, and welcome to the forum. It is a bit like riding a bike. If you've handled largish boats before, no biggie. Just enjoy the process and joy of being seriously in the game, and being a cash buyer, and all the benefits that brings...take your time, be discriminating, and if in doubt, run those doubts past us here on the forum. We'll be happy to help you spend your money. :D

That's exciting! Good luck on the boat hunt.

Be careful...it's pretty easy to watch $100k disappear into a boat. A friend once said that no matter how great a deal you get buying the boat, that new anchor, dinghy, etc. will still cost real money.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard my NEW best friend...

200.gif

Seriously, keep calm and take your time...

Thanks! The planning and the dreaming are the fun parts. I realize that I have an advantage in knowing generalities of boats and their systems and their... little ways. Hell, just knowing how to splice wire rope will save me a ton of money, as well as having a nodding acquaintance with marine Diesels and their accoutrements. I'm not going into this never having replaced the packing in a stuffing box before, you know?

One thing that my deckie and truckie careers have taught me: neglect is the primary failure point in almost any system. There's no such thing as performing too much maintenance.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom