Hydraulic steering system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turner

Need a new steering system for my 30 ft trawler, any suggestion on a good brand and where to get it?

We have a manual hydraulic Wagner steering system. Parts are no longer available, really just need a cylinder replacement.

Did you try your local hydraulic repair shop and have your cylinder rebuilt. Did that on my Bluewater $85.00.

My problem began at a rebuild hydraulic shop. They lost the original bleeding screw, retapped the hole and put a regular set screw in wrapped with plumbers tape, the threads leak because they aren't v-shaped, tried a regular machine bolt with a o-ring as a gasket, but because the cylinder isn't flat where the o-ring sets, it leaks under pressure. Basically making the whole cylinder useless.

The bleed hole can be seated, just take it to a machine shop, not a big deal to get done.

I have a wagner serie 700 and parts should still be available from wagner (at least that is what is mentioned on their web site). I looked for replacement and the nearest part is the seastar BA150-7ATM (part number HC5314) only difference is the base that is not the exact size but can be easily adapted.

L.

I have a wagner serie 700 and parts should still be available from wagner (at least that is what is mentioned on their web site). I looked for replacement and the nearest part is the seastar BA150-7ATM (part number HC5314) only difference is the base that is not the exact size but can be easily adapted.

L.
I'll check it out, thanks. Let you know how it turns out.

A competent shop should be able to screw in a replacement insert seating for a standard bleed screw.

.... wrapped with plumbers tape....
Using plumber's (teflon) tape on a hydraulic system is not a good idea. Small bits of tape can pull loose and wreak havoc with the seals, pump and valves. Avoid plumber's tape and never go back to that shop.

Turner
I see that you are fairly new to the forum, as you can see, the guys on here are the best in helping solve problems. I bet they could find the needle that was lost in a hay stack!!!! LOL

Took it to another shop, they retapped and replaced the bleed set screw. We reinstalled it on the boat, no leaks so far. Will probably get one off eBay for parts. Thanks to all. Mojo is coming off the yard on Monday, next phase is getting to know her in the water, wish us luck...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom