Off and Running

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
After owning LUNASEA for 3 years, redoing a lot and handling a few other problems, we finally spent a week on the boat in Madisonville. Left Houma took and extra day to get there, sat around on the boat in Mandeville one day, then on to Madisonville. Wife was a little nerves when we fist started out but as time went on all seemed to calm down and we started to enjoy the cruising way of life. :dance: :dance: We both want to say THANKS to all that has helped us get this far in our boating life. Will be in Madisonville for a month or so then off to the east for the summer.

PS: If I do not stay out of the restaurants on the north shore I will need a bigger boat by winter!!! LOL

After owning LUNASEA for 3 years, redoing a lot and handling a few other problems, we finally spent a week on the boat in Madisonville.
PS: If I do not stay out of the restaurants on the north shore I will need a bigger boat by winter!!! LOL

Easily solved. Do more anchoring out, preparing your own tucker, (Aussie for food), and staying away from marinas and access to restaurants. That's what cruising is really all about. Then you can actually lose weight quite painlessly.
:D

Way to go Ronnie! Keep us informed of your progress and have a great cruise!

Good Job! How was the trip over?

Great trip over BUT with the Seabrook railroad bridge still broke had to go around to Rigolets. On the way to Rigolets I was talking with a friend and told him about having to go around, he brought up to try Chef Pass. After checking all info I had on board we went Chef Pass, we saved 12 miles with 38 feet of water under us.

Did you stop at Boomtown?

No water was high and did not like the way the docking looked so went on to Seabrook.
I did learn a lesson at the Industrial locks, called on radio and was told by lock master to go to the last dolphin and wait for a call, 3:30PM, tied up to last dolphin and waited and waited and waited some more, well at 7:30PM I call to ask what my number was for locking. When I asked he just said MAN I FORGOT YOU, told me if you are not called on the second lock after you get there call again to remind them. Lesson learned

Morton's tomorrow night!
Half priced boiled shrimp, $5 bloody Mary's, $5 draft beer! :dance::dance:

No water was high and did not like the way the docking looked so went on to Seabrook.
I did learn a lesson at the Industrial locks, called on radio and was told by lock master to go to the last dolphin and wait for a call, 3:30PM, tied up to last dolphin and waited and waited and waited some more, well at 7:30PM I call to ask what my number was for locking. When I asked he just said MAN I FORGOT YOU, told me if you are not called on the second lock after you get there call again to remind them. Lesson learned

An even better lesson is to get a female to call on the radio. They seem to be quite accommodating when you do that!!!

Where are you docked in Madisonville? Everything is ok in Houma, but, lots of strong south wind bringing the water levels up.
Enjoy your trip!

We are on the river at Marina Del Ray. Looking like a 1-2ft. tide increase Sat. with wind gust 35-40.

Nice, we stayed there several years ago, just a short walk over the bride to town. We also spent a couple of nights on the city dock that was good too. If you have a chance a trip up the river is pretty.
Have a great stay and onward!

Had diver at boat yesterday, American Diving Service Mandeville, said I was pass due for a cleaning. He also changed all the anodes that was left and replace the ones where there was only nuts and bolts left. Also was told that I do not use boat enough, well that is about to change. Great guy told me to call him a week before I leave for the East and he would come down and give a quick clean for the trip. FREE

Had diver at boat yesterday, American Diving Service Mandeville, said I was pass due for a cleaning. He also changed all the anodes that was left and replace the ones where there was only nuts and bolts left. Also was told that I do not use boat enough, well that is about to change. Great guy told me to call him a week before I leave for the East and he would come down and give a quick clean for the trip. FREE

Nice! I'll need to get the guys number from you.

I sure wish we could travel east following behind you. Being it would be our first time, it would be nice to have someone who's done it before leading the way. But I don't think our boat will be ready before you leave.
Still so much to do and now more AC issues. Gggrrrrr......

What did he charge?

Quick Madisonville story. We docked at the town dock a couple of months ago and first afternoon a guy stops by looking at the boat. We chat a bit about the boat and doing the loop etc. and he heads off on his bike ride with his daughter. Next morning I wake up with a pick-up truck parked near the boat and a set of keys on the side deck with a note to "help yourself"!! We didn't need to use the truck but it was sure another reminder of why we love this area.

We'll be leaving LA middle of next week and I'm sure we won't find the same hospitality on the way to Ft. Myers...but who knows??

An even better lesson is to get a female to call on the radio. They seem to be quite accommodating when you do that!!!

Learned that from Blue and Michelle-She calls they answer-I call no reply-go figure-at the locks they run to help Michelle with the lines-Me, they threw me a rope and off they went to engage Michelle-Blue got a kick out of that. Cleavage is your friend:angel:

Quick Madisonville story. We docked at the town dock a couple of months ago and first afternoon a guy stops by looking at the boat. We chat a bit about the boat and doing the loop etc. and he heads off on his bike ride with his daughter. Next morning I wake up with a pick-up truck parked near the boat and a set of keys on the side deck with a note to "help yourself"!! We didn't need to use the truck but it was sure another reminder of why we love this area.

We'll be leaving LA middle of next week and I'm sure we won't find the same hospitality on the way to Ft. Myers...but who knows??

I love my little town. :smitten:

Learned that from Blue and Michelle-She calls they answer-I call no reply-go figure-at the locks they run to help Michelle with the lines-Me, they threw me a rope and off they went to engage Michelle-Blue got a kick out of that. Cleavage is your friend:angel:

Friends of ours bought a boat and after one month headed off to do the loop. They came home for a weeks brake from boating and we got together to talk about trip. I asked the wife " How's Docking in the marinas with all the boats." GREAT answer: I stand on the deck and when we get close I yell "may need some help this the first time we do this" !!! She said everyone comes to help.

Spike
Are you in Madisonville now?

No, we're at Pontchartrain Landing to catch Jazz Fest. Just a few miles across the lake but a whole different world!!

Baker

Having your lovely lady call may work, nobody can understand mine (not even me sometimes). :):)

No, we're at Pontchartrain Landing to catch Jazz Fest. Just a few miles across the lake but a whole different world!!

Did you go through Chef Pass or the Rigolets to get there ?

We passed Boomtown a few weeks ago. That bulkhead was not inviting looking. We ended up tying off to an abandoned barge just short of the Harvey locks.

Did you go through Chef Pass or the Rigolets to get there ?

We went through the Rigolets into the lake and Chef Pass going out. I was pretty worried but locals in Slidell assured me it would be no problem. We draw 4.5 and saw 1 foot under the boat a couple of times close to the pass. Once we hit the pass there was a constant 30' or more under the boat! It was a pucker moment for sure and doubt I'd do it again. It did cut several miles off the trip.

Looks like we'll just be taking the ICW heading east as the RR bridge to the lake is still down. Workers are saying maybe July but I see them working 7 days a week. Stay dry today!!

Another great weekend in Madisonville !!!! Met up with Star and David, had drinks drinks and more drinks then on Friday the go fast boats for the Ticfaw 200 Poker Run started showing up until Sat night. Big money boats !!!!

Spike how was Jazz Fest ?????

Jazzfest was fantastic with (mostly) great weather. This is the first year we've been able to attend all 7 days and only 1 day was the opening delayed due to weather. I just figured out that we saw about 33 acts over the 2 weekends!! Tom Petty was a great show for his 40th anniversary tour.

Now, it's time for some boating! We're starting east in the morning with about a month planned to get to Ft. Myers. Hope to see you out there soon. Be careful....I can see where Madisonville can get hold of you and not let go. Don't drink the kool-aid!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom