Fake USCG Registration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I see when I pull up my boat:

IMG_9784.jpg

Why is there no expiration date?

This is what I see when I pull up my boat:

View attachment 64135

Why is there no expiration date?

Expired, perhaps. I'd call and find out. If it is within 31 days of having expired, you can do a simple renewal, which I'd do online for expediency. If it's been longer, you have to do a reinstatement which is the same form used initially for documentation, CG-1258. There is an additional fee of $84 on top of the regular fees for renewal.

Asking for a friend :) -

If I USCG document... and keep my boat in a different state than my "home" address.. how exactly would a state have a basis and means for collecting property/ad valorum/sales tax?

:) :) :)

If I USCG document... and keep my boat in a different state than my "home" address.. how exactly would a state have a basis and means for collecting property/ad valorum/sales tax?

Property tax and sales tax laws differ by state so can't answer in detail.

However, generally property taxes will be assessed based on where the boat is located. Sales taxes will be charged based on where purchased, except when intent is to leave the state purchased exemptions are available. Then use tax will be assessed by the state to which the boat is taken.

You can always buy and keep your boat in a state with no taxes but then that might not be convenient to you.

With computers it's pretty easy to track property taxes, state registrations or lack there of.

When we were based in a large municipal marina in WA State, a tax representative would walk the docks maybe once a year and ask particularly boats, those that were documented from other states more often than others what their tax status was.

Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes WA, when we asked about long term moorage, they said we would have to show either State registration or a temporary vessel ID doc after 60 days. Hobo's AK documented.

A friend had his vessel impounded in MA. It was Delaware documented and had been in the state for 2 years, not registered or sales tax paid.

They'll walk the docks and seek out any boats in the state for more than XX days, which don't have a valid in-state registration or tax decal.

But there's another way: they'll review the CG documented vessel database for boats with a "hailing port" in their state.

Now, understand that you can legally choose ANY geographic place name for your hailing port. It doesn't have to be where the boat is, where you live, or have any connection to you.

Still, it gives the state a clue, and they WILL act on it.

I need to call, obviously, like others said. My name is on the documentation after the original owner Harry Cole Jr. I bought the boat a couple of years ago.

The lender did the documentation paperwork so I was out of the loop initially, and obviously I'm still out of the loop. Lol.

File a complaint with the Postal Inspectors

Here is some information from the Postal Inspectors website. Don't know if what you described is "over the line", but it sure seems close.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/.../fraudschemes/financialfraud/GovtSchemes.aspx

Schemes that Charge Money for free Govt. Services
A variety of false representation schemes involve mailed solicitations that offer for a fee certain services available free of charge from the government. Often the company's name and mailing design deceptively imply that the company is or has ties to a government agency. If you receive such a solicitation, you should call the government agency that maintains the information being sold by the promoter and ask if it is available for free from that agency.

If you have been victimized in one of these schemes, or if you have received a suspicious solicitation in the mail, report your experience to your local postmaster or nearest Postal Inspector.

Probably the same people who masquerade as the USPS address change site and charge you $20 for the same service the USPS charges $1 for.

And the only reason the USPS charges the dollar is to verify identity.

The problem isn't the service itself, even though I don't think the particular company mentioned adds any value. Others who handle documentation do. The issue is that they attempt to make it appear they're the USCG agency. A real title and documentation service makes it clear what the USCG charge is and what they charge and the extras they provide.

Just a reminder to all you owners of documented boats, when it comes time to renew, only go to the CG documentation website and renew for $26. If you get a reminder letter and it gives you a website address and they want $75, that is not the CG website but a private documentation service. The letter looks very official and fools many people into thinking it came from the CG. It even has a West VA return address even though it was mailed from CAL.
BEWARE!

Damnit! They fooled me!

Kevin

Damnit! They fooled me!

Kevin

Sorry they got you too, tallswede. Tell everyone you know about this. Best way to stop these people is by spreading the word. Once enough people find out, the company will find the little bit of income they get, won't pay the expense of mailing out the reminder letters.

Same thing happens with the ESTA online process for a visa to enter USA. There is the official site, and a heap of others, charging more, pretending to be the official site, clipping the ticket for $ while doing zip.

"However, generally property taxes will be assessed based on where the boat is located"

In CT the tax man forces the marina and boat yards to compile a list of every boat , on shore , at a dock or moored .

Mandated , but unpaid for of course.

In addition to BOAT US putting out a press release about this, the United States Power Squadron put a warning in their spring publication, The Ensign, warning boaters not to fall for this.

In addition to the press release put out by BOAT US, the U.S. Power Squadron also had a article in their spring publication warning boaters to beware.

Yesterday I just registered with the FAA for a UAV (drone). I ran into the same issue. A Google search brings up FederalDroneRegistration.com which tried to look like an official FAA site. However, the fine print (once you find it) makes it clear that it isn't. They simply have you fill out a form, they send that form to the FAA and collect a fee from you for doing so. The FAA site is actually easier to use and you don't pay a premium.

It appears that folks have found a way to make money off of consumers in all kinds of area, not just boat documentation.

Yesterday I just registered with the FAA for a UAV (drone). I ran into the same issue. A Google search brings up FederalDroneRegistration.com which tried to look like an official FAA site. However, the fine print (once you find it) makes it clear that it isn't. They simply have you fill out a form, they send that form to the FAA and collect a fee from you for doing so. The FAA site is actually easier to use and you don't pay a premium.

It appears that folks have found a way to make money off of consumers in all kinds of area, not just boat documentation.

It's everywhere and it makes it difficult to find the legitimate agencies. There are excellent documentation companies that do charge a premium but provide many extra services. They dislike these "paper forwarders" as much as we do. I've seen it on things like disability claim assistance. One company has lawyers and will file correctly and appeal properly, while another company simply fills out the same paperwork you could. There are excellent third party passport offices too.

So, they hurt the consumer. And they hurt legitimate documentation agents.

Companies posing as Coast Guard

I just received an official looking "Vessel Reinstatement Courtesy Notice" from "U.S. Vessel Documentation" web site, advising me that my USCG documentation had expired and to pay online.

The poser website is uscgdocumentation.us
Email: info@usgcdocumentation
Phone: 866-981-8783
877- 564-1398

The actual legitimate coast website is www.uscg.mil

I just renewed my registration for $75. I was surprised and saw last year's registration was $26. I looked closely at the symbol and email and it is very misleading. I canceled my credit card and went to the coast guard page and renewed my real license for $26.
I received a threatening email from the poser company about attempting to fraud this company and that they are a third party company. They threatened to put a lien on my boat becauseI canceled my card.

I saw this thread was closed so I am reopening this thread it to see if anyone has tried to shut them down and get them to change their logo and email and website. What had been done to people like this and who do I call in the Coast Guard to blacklist this company and Pedro ( yes that's his most likely fake name lol)

I don't know how to post a picture or I would show you the actual paperwork and logo of this company.

How do we know this company is not taking people's money and not registering the boats out there. They need to be stopped - sued for impersonating the coast guard authority and mentioning the USCG name.
The Coast Guard should make mandatory any third party registration company to list in large letters and the first paragraph - we do NOT represent the Coast Guard we fill out your renewal paper work at an additional charge - please go to www.uscg.mil For the Coast Guard website.

Can you please provide any information and whom to contact in the Coast Guard to report this and have them take action?

Last edited:
I agree, but this is America, free markets, caveat emptor etc

Making bank off ignorance is probably 45% of our economy.

If they actually claimed, to be official maybe, but CG certainly wouldn't be the agency to do it, likely FTC which is pretty toothless these days.

Companies posing as Coast Guard

They will tell you to file a complaint on the FTC website. Unfortunately you have likely lost your money. I have been fighting the same battle since February....

Hang in there! I continued to fight so at least they have to work extra hard to keep my money.

Saw an osprey catch a fish and as he flew away a big Black bird tried to steal his catch. Made me realize this company is like the Black bird, looking for an easy meal.

Oh, the Osprey kept flying and the Black bird gave up....

Look at thread "US Documented Vessels Beware".

Last edited:
Scam alert

Coast Guard numbered vessels I recently recieved a letter in very "official looking" envelope and stationary offering to register my numbered boat with the Coast Guard for $75.00. Sounded strange to me. A week later got the real official notice that me registration was due for the usual $26.00 fee. Be ware of fake offers .

File a formal complaint with the FCC. The more complaints they have in writing on public record the more documentation they have to get any logo, acronym or any other imposter appearance off the web address and website. He also sends threatening emails to put a lien on your boat when canceling with the credit card company. If he has not provided a service it's easy to cancel.

I would be interested to know where to find in public record liens have been made for $75 bill. It costs money to file for a lien on a boat.

Last edited:
fake USCG renal notices by mail

If I had received a letter looking and reading like it was fron the Coast Guard, I would check with either my post master or a Postal Inspector. Generally thay become quite upset at postal fraud

Believe me they invested in lawyers to make sure they're just inside the letter of the law.

Consumer protection is not an area of government responsibility being strengthened these days.

And why would the FCC be involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom