Tesla shares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its hard to sell stock when its going up daily :blush:

It wouldn't be hard for me. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. Is Tesla really worth more than GM? (Not that I like them either).

This is really not a valid argument. The grid is constantly being adapted to changing loads and if this 10% arrives, it will not arrive overnight. It will come on gradually and can be dealt with seamlessly.

And in some ways, elec cars could make life easier for grid management. Presently there is a big difference between daytime load and night time load. This requires utilities to daily start and stop large generators, and generators do not like this. Since most car charging will presumably occur overnight, this will tend to flatten the diurnal load curve, and that is a good thing.

Also, charging stations can be linked to the grid in a way to shed the charger load if system load gets too high. Good for the grid, not so good for someone that wakes up to an uncharged car!!

Similar to the issues that come with wind and solar inputs to the grid. These change the issues with power distribution, but all the issues can be worked with. In high solar areas, cheap daytime car charging. In wind areas, cheap car charging when wind is strong.

The grid is not a static entity. It adapts as needed. Slowly, indeed, but the changes are slow too.

I could see myself going with an electric car. Heck, folks around here are doing local trips on golf carts.

I could easily do 90% of my trips in an electric car that had a range of 100miles.

Not going to splurge for a Tesla. Not getting a golf cart. But something in between, could be appealing.

All comes down to batt tech, which is seeing incremental (slow) improvement. I think there are physical limits to storing electrons in a chemical medium, there may be a hard wall there somewhere. Or maybe there will be a step change in tech that will blow our minds. Who knows!!

Get a Volt. Best of both worlds. Electric for most daily driving but an IC engine for the occasional road trip. I've been driving one for five years. When it wears out, I'll get another one.

You miss the point by accepting the premise of Tesla being an "automobile company". Tesla is a "transportation automation company", and not luxury sports cars, semi-trucks are the ultimate destination. FF is spot on about how the cash is flowing now but the software and placement in the market will be the ultimate product IMO. Perhaps before Trump's first term is over.

"Teslers fate will hang on the price of Oil"

Then its over as the price of fracking has declined to under $40 a BBL, and barring a WAR oil will sell at about $50 a BBL for years.

Crash the grid? Never unless all electric cars decided to all plug in at the exact same 3 minute period during the hottest day of the year. Even the worst case would only have rotating blackouts of short duration. There has to be multiple equipment failures at peak load to have system-wide failure.
Electric car plug-in after work would just extend the peak load hours later in the day. System operators have predictive computer tools that are very accurate and dynamic. Plus, since the availability of low cost natural gas, there are many power plants sitting idle or at minimum load for the couple days per year when they are allowed to run higher. The running order is based on cost per kilowatt.

"Teslers fate will hang on the price of Oil"

Then its over as the price of fracking has declined to under $40 a BBL, and barring a WAR oil will sell at about $50 a BBL for years.

I don't think you spend $100K on a car to save the price of gas, any more than a trawler purchaser is deterred by the price of diesel -- immaterial to the total cost of ownership.

"I don't think you spend $100K on a car to save the price of gas, any more than a trawler purchaser is deterred by the price of diesel -- immaterial to the total cost of ownership."

The electric cars get sold to impress the neighbors at how "Green" and socially aware the purchaser is.

"I often wondered what we would utilize to manufacture all of that HUGE variety of other goods (particularly plastics) if we continued to just burn up all of our oil and coal reserves as fuel??"

As you can read , there are still folks waiting for Peak Oil to happen.

Most of our "trawlers" are simply a deck house choice on a std hull , not a statement of seaworthy, sea kindly or voyaging ability.

Crash the grid? Never unless all electric cars decided to all plug in at the exact same 3 minute period during the hottest day of the year.

Unfortunately, peeps will drive home, plug in, goes to max charge just as all the existing 5-6-7 pm loads pile on, home AC, refrigerator door openings, fire up the evening's dinner preparation, audio visual, lighting etc.

Having the car chargers wait a couple of hours would be good, time of use hydro costs a decent incentive...

As for the stock, how did the old Ballard Power make out?

No easy answers

RB

"As for the stock, how did the old Ballard Power make out?"

Dreaming is great ,

I am still waiting for Fusion power , although its been over half a century , so far.

i cannot afford a Tesla, during the years, I build a couple electric cars just for the fun... Tesla is an impressive piece of technology... impossible tried to mod that thing.. or change any parameter unless you're a certified tesla technician.
I suggest every single teen start right now learn about electric cars.. you're gonna be rich in few years, specially on California.
Electric car is the future...

You miss the point by accepting the premise of Tesla being an "automobile company". Tesla is a "transportation automation company", and not luxury sports cars, semi-trucks are the ultimate destination. FF is spot on about how the cash is flowing now but the software and placement in the market will be the ultimate product IMO. Perhaps before Trump's first term is over.

Don't start calling me Craigstradamus just yet but this posturing between two future transportation giants interests me. I wouldn't be surprised if a merger happens between Uber and Tesla. Tesla working with the team from Otto could be a potent brain trust.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/uber-launches-uber-freight-for-trucking-2017-5

IMG_1174.JPG

My prediction is the latest developments in multi fuel engines will reduce the engine weight and mass by about 90% .

Weather this will be enough to dump the batteries , or add an extra 500lbs is yet to be determined.

The Big Bucks are flowing to make batts stronger and lighter , faster charging and and to have less chance of burning.

But if your multifuel car gets 60-75 mpg and costs $25K who would care about a $100K car that gets an " adjusted" 100 mpg?

Battery Technologies

Battery technologies are advancing quite rapidly.

Electric cars are the future. And the electric motor's inherent torque characteristics match the needs of a vehicle much better than an ICE.

Last edited:
I think that Elon Musk is a great innovator and that his cars will be a success. As far as Tesla being a good investment is a different story. The share price is much too high for a company that has been losing money. General Motors and Tesla are both worth roughly 50 billion dollars each. Last year TSLA lost 722 million dollars while GM(who also make electric cars) had a profit of 10 billion dollars. It might not be as glamorous but I've invested my money in GM. They're not the same company that went bankrupt.

Back
Top Bottom