View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 03:27 AM   #39
Hotrod
Veteran Member

City: Bunnell
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Hotrod, in my first novice buffing attempt, which went quite well, I used foam pads which came in a range of colors indicating the aggression of the pad. I had lambswool ones, but chose foam (except for final polishing off of the final wax),because someone said foam was better, they sure need regular cleaning as you say.
Do you favor foam, or lambswool,or does it vary with the job surface. And, what is "spur"? When you say to use the washer, is that as in washing machine? Forgive the silly questions, I`m new to it, interested to learn.
As long as the boat is gel coat, I would only use wool pads. I personally do not like the foam pads. You are correct, in my opinion, in regard to it varys in regard to surface condition. Like I mentioned earlier, I use the pink buff majic, due to jewelr Rouge, added to the product. The spur, is the tool to clean the pad with. It looks like the spur , from used on horses, but has a handle. You run it against the pad , while spinning the buffer in your hand. It raises the hairs on the wool and takes off excess compound. BUT, you cannot use a metal spur, with pink buff majic, it will make the pad turn black, due to the compound cleaning, and buffing the metal spur.Instead, I take a paint stick, break it in half, and use the coarse side against the pad.Yes, you are correct the washing machine, but make sure you clean the machine after, with another cycle of soap only. I have a separate washing machine in my shop for just rags and pads cleaning.I have been this for a long time, and wished someone had guided me, in my early years, feel free to ask anything, NO questions , are silly, in my opinion
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote