Quartz surfaces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stickman

Vessel Name
THIRD CHILD
Vessel Make
KADEY KROGEN 48AE
Looking at quartz surfaces for galley/heads.

Any real world issues with heat damage or UV fading?

"Owner" has already eliminated granite,marble, corian.

Thanks in advance.

My mother somehow managed to scorch her quartz countertop at home but that was 50 years ago. It also may have not been a solid surface and perhaps not true quartz at all.

A local tile supplier would be my starting place such as Bedrosians Our Locations

We remodeled the kitchen in our condo in AZ and, on the advice of the company owner, we went with quartz. It doesn't require periodic resealing, it's easy to repair if it gets gouged and the surface is very smooth.

According to the company owner, it is a much more durable surface than granite or marble. Cost differential between the three is minimal.

Quartz seems better in all respects , and is now down to about $25 a sq ft at box stores.

I just finished installing corian in the galley and heads. Too soon to tell how it will hold up, although I have a couple friends who like it in their boats. Certainly looks much better than the formica I removed.

I put Quartz counters in my galley several years ago. I also have it in my home. I see no difference between the environment of my galley and my kitchen, so no reason to be concerned about the choice of counter surfaces.

In both places there is frequent sun, frequent periods of abandonment, hot objects, things that might stick, stain, otherwise threaten the surface. In both I have no issues whatsoever.

On Quartz v Granite, the suppliers told me that Granite needs a sealer, while Quartz doesn't, so that made a difference.

Last edited:
Some suppliers also offer 1/4 inch quartz overlays of existing counters for weight reduction.

Formica is easy , how are fiddle rails installed in quartz if the boat will leave the dock?

Believe the fiddles are same quartz material.

I'm only the captain, not the owner.[emoji15]

Formica is easy , how are fiddle rails installed in quartz if the boat will leave the dock?

Most boats that have solid surface tops forgo fiddle rails, the boats I have personally cruised ( Mexico, to Panama, Caribbean etc) they were not missed a bit.
Hollywood

I spent 10+ weeks away from the dock this summer. My boat came stock with Corian counters and no fiddles. We simply don't leave things laying on the counter when we're underway. If it's rough we make sandwiches ahead of time so we don't need to cook underway. Heck, we make sandwiches ahead of time if its not rough, just because its easy and my wife doesn't like to cook in anything above 2 foot seas.

I switched out all of my counter tops last winter. WOW, what a difference. PO installed this very "odd" teal/grey/green colored tops... We went with a white color that has some "tan speckles" to give it a bit of contrast as well as not just be WHITE!!!

I looked at quart for about 5 mins and decided the "engineered material" was the route I wanted to go. MUCH lighter and can be completely customized for the application...

The lighter color really brightened up the down galley area and gave it all a fresh look. Also installed a new, larger sink, disposal and repurposed the wasted corner spaces to be used for storage. One corner I built a motorized shelf to lift an air fryer from down below (LOVE that it's out of the way when not needed)...

Believe it or not, Home Depot did the install. Came out and measured, then custom cut the pieces and brought them out. The installers did a great job and even blended some angles to fit the "flow" of the other angles down below... Very please with what they did and how it turned out!!! Been in for over a year, no stains (even when I accidently let polyurethane stain sit on it for 2-3 days... OOPS!!!)...

Attachments

• countertop w notes.jpg
    countertop w notes.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 24
  • counter tops CAD.jpg
    counter tops CAD.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 17
  • full cleaned up.jpg
    full cleaned up.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Sink Area.jpg
    Sink Area.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 22
  • flip side.jpg
    flip side.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Shelf1 screen shot.jpg
    Shelf1 screen shot.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 21
  • shelf2 screen shot.jpg
    shelf2 screen shot.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Counter invoice.PNG
    Counter invoice.PNG
    139.2 KB · Views: 24
  • CT 2 center.jpg
    CT 2 center.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 23

I had fiddle rails on the outgoing Formica. Easy to re-install rails on the Quartz. Teak strips, not expensive, preserves the original look, but so much better now with the Quarts, now 10+ years in.

Scott, what type and nodle did you use?

We went with Corian for our galley refit. Not as high-end as quartz, but much lighter and a quantum improvement over Formica. We ditched the fiddles inside the U-galley but retained them over the fridges and where spills could find their way to the settee.

I just ripped out the old vanity top in the master head today and we’re going back with Corian there, as well.

Attachments

• 4CA890C2-8766-46B0-A876-C6667FFFAEC1.jpg
    4CA890C2-8766-46B0-A876-C6667FFFAEC1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 825A967B-76F2-49DA-92FF-443CAF3ABE0A.jpg
    825A967B-76F2-49DA-92FF-443CAF3ABE0A.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 13
  • C02B2E22-4C7A-445A-A3F5-B35CA43EF691.jpg
    C02B2E22-4C7A-445A-A3F5-B35CA43EF691.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom