Quality alternatives to Groco raw water strainers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrisHamish

Vessel Name
Beluga
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
Hi everybody,

So I have just returned home from the boat after yet another frustrating experience with Groco raw water strainers.

I have 2006 era Groco BV and BVS strainers, the smaller ones with built in shut off valves. Not only do the valves routinely seize up if you don't rotate them every single month, which is annoying enough, but trying to get the lid off the sea strainers themselves is possibly THE most frustrating task.....

My seastrainers are a sort of bronze/gold coloured metal, and the threaded metal lid at the top is circular with 3 small holes into which you insert a two pronged lever type tool and supposedly twist the tops open and the retrieve and clean the baskets. Could I get even 1 of the 5 of them to open??? You would think they had all been closed using Threadlock.

There must be something more modern and user friendly out there, but still good quality. Any suggestions please.

Thanks,

Hamish.

Do you grease them? According to the lit. there is a grease fitting which is intended for use top lube the ball. .Done with the unit in the open position
I'm surprised as they are ball valves which usually have [actual] teflon seats for the ball to ride on and seal against.

I'm going to say the same about the lids on the BVS. Bronze will corrode enough to seize threads. Grease the threads and they should not do that. Should not but??

Call Groco?
A good waterproof grease such as o/b prop shaft grease or a product called Alco Metalube which is a heavy bodied water resistant grease. The Metalube I get from
Seaboard Marine www.sbmar.com

Mine were all replaced in 2010, can`t recall brand, need to check it next time onboard. I don`t have your issues, mine have a rotatable clamp on top with a hand screw down nut, easy. But, the mesh strainers attack/lacerate my fingers when removing them to clean.

"Any suggestions please."

Teflon tape is not just for use on pipe threads.

Groco strainers are really top quality. The cap threads do need to be greased.

All ball valves stick if not exercised often. Groco now installs zerk fittings so you can give them a shot of grease. You can add a zerk fitting to yours. I would have the valve partially closed when you squirt the grease in to avoid blowing out the seals. If the valve is completely open, you can build pressure between the seals. If the valve is closed, you'll just pump grease into the middle of the ball.

Someone else suggested that it was the valve stem that gets stuck. He suggested loosening the packing nut a little. A little grease on the stem wouldn't hurt either. I've never tried this but it makes sense to me.

Hamish

If you really want replace your existing one, go to this type. Yes, Groco, but plastic caps are finger tight (greased thread) only. I have only these as primary filters, in various sizes.

Attachments

• Groco Eng strainer 2 sml.jpg
    Groco Eng strainer 2 sml.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Groco Engi strainer 1 sml.jpg
    Groco Engi strainer 1 sml.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 139
Thanks guys, these are terrific suggestions.

H.

The "helper" is shown the valve just screwed pn to a thru hull, it is NOT a seacock.

If the thru hull is close to the water line purchasing the tapered plugs might be a wise investment.

Brian, Why do you have a tee and not an elbow on top of your seacock? Clean out?

When your stainless basket develops holes, replace it with a plastic basket. They are cheaper and last longer. The holes are a little bigger but not big enough to be a problem.

Brian, Why do you have a tee and not an elbow on top of your seacock? Clean out?

When your stainless basket develops holes, replace it with a plastic basket. They are cheaper and last longer. The holes are a little bigger but not big enough to be a problem.

Yes to clean out.

Thanks for the heads up on the strainers. So far they have no issues at all. I seldom get much in them. A few days ago and a mud bank at low tide was the exception for one of them!

Back
Top Bottom