Stops and things to see and do on the FL Panhandle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wmiii

Vessel Name
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Vessel Make
Mariner 40
We are also heading up to the Tennessee River next month.
Weather depending, we'll run from Clearwater to Carrabelle and Apalachicola.
We'll be taking our time crossing the Panhandle and would like to get some ideas of good anchorages, marinas and things to see and do between Panama City and Big Lagoon.

Thanks,

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40

There's always something going on in Apalachicola. Try Boss Oysters if your into oysters. We like Port St Joe Marina you can walk to town or shopping. Panama City we like St Andrews Bay Marina, you can walk to several restaurants and they have floating docks. We also stopped at Blue Water Bay Marina in Niceville, Fl. , across the bay from Destin, they have onsite restaurant and raw bar. Palafox Marina is right in Pensacola town with free trolleys to town. Mobile Bay we like Eastern Shores Marina which is close to Fairhope shopping and eats. Up the TomTenn Waterway Bobby's Fish Camp has floating docks, look for the grey power outlets and moor as close as you can otherwise you will be stringing out power cords. Good catfish at the restaurant. Kingfisher Bay Marina ihas the best laundry setup we've seen, not much going on in Demopolis. Columbus Marina is 4 miles from town with a good curtesy car and great varity of shopping. Don't miss Huck's Place for a unique lunch or dinner in the old town section of Columbus. After that not much to recommend till you get to Florence Harbor Marina if your going up river. They have good fuel pricing and a restaurant above the marina office. Skip Decatur if you can and try Ditto Landing Marina in Huntsville, Al and further up river Guntersville Free Dock within easy walk of restaurants and shopping. If you stop at Goose Pond Marina let me know I'd very much like to see your Mariner, GPM has a curtesy car and on site restaurant and is three hours up stream from Guntersville.
Anchorages, we anchored at MM 181 leaving the red ATON to port with nice sand bottom in 12' water and the Sumpter Recreation Area with 5' at the entrance and 10' further in the anchorage.
Things to do, best to ask the marinas as each area has plenty of sight seeing opportunities.

Last edited:
Great information Hi-D-Ho!
We've made the trip a few times in our 37' sailboat, but had to hop out side from Pensacola to Panama City.
It will be interesting to see how our stops work out on the way up from Mobile to the Tennessee River in the trawler compared to our sailboat. I would be interested in your stops coming up.
We are thinking of stopping at Goose Pond, so we'll see if we can find you there.
We are going on up To Watts Bar Lake, between Chattanooga and Knoxville.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40
Bradenton, FL

I'll second St. Andrews marina in Panama City. Great facilities and the neighborhood of St. Andrews has more choices for dining and shopping than anywhere else along this stretch of the ICW. It's where my boat lives. :)

Of course, Apalachicola is a must visit if you're passing that way. Port St. Joe is nice, too, if you want to break up the trip between Apalach and Panama City.

I think the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, FL would be a great stop.

Welcome - National Naval Aviation Museum
+1 For the museum...and check to see when the Blue Angels practice...it's a good show.

Gotta have some oysters in Appalach...Pappa Joes, Hole on the Wall...and there's always the OCBC Brewery
Also acouple interesting state museums there...the birth place of refrigeration...who'd of guessed

There's always something going on in Apalachicola. Try Boss Oysters if your into oysters. .

Wifey B: Definitely is. Just love love love the place. But then there always has been.

Back
Top Bottom