Ford Lehman SP135 Oil Capacity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petdoc4u

Vessel Name
EXILE
Vessel Make
HANS CHRISTIAN TRAWLER
For those of you who have re-marked your dip stick to compensate for engine angle, could you please tell me how many quarts of oil you use to refill the crankcase at oil change. I always change the filter at the same time. The number (of quarts) I am looking for would be inclusive of the filter.
Thank you as always.
-David

14.5 and that number came from American Diesel

Last edited:
13.5 quarts and that came from Bomac Marine. When I asked about the 14.5 quart number I had been using he said that was fine but you didn't need the additional quart. Both numbers are a lot less than the 19 US quarts that is listed in our manual.

13.5 quarts and that came from Bomac Marine. When I asked about the 14.5 quart number I had been using he said that was fine but you didn't need the additional quart. Both numbers are a lot less than the 19 US quarts that is listed in our manual.

I had also heard 14.5 from Bob Smith as well. 13.5 should also be fine. But the 19 quarts is too high and causes problems with the one of the seals, can't remember with one, but it's a costly fix. One of the earlier owners of my boat had to change that seal. It's in the maintenance log.

Thank you all for your responses, however I just want to confirm.....
12.5 Quarts + 1 Quart for the filter or if preferred
13.5 Quarts + 1 Quart for the filter

Thanks again
-David

Thank you all for your responses, however I just want to confirm.....
12.5 Quarts + 1 Quart for the filter or if preferred
13.5 Quarts + 1 Quart for the filter

Thanks again
-David

Yes, but I wouldn't count on the filter holding a quart of oil. I personally think they drain down over some number of hours. But then if one is changing the oil its best practice to change the filter too, so you're back to 13.5 or 14.5.

Ken

My engine (sp 135) takes 14.5 quarts to the high mark on the dip stick. I usually buy the oil filter at Napa, part number 551843, but they no longer stock the filter. Is there another source for the oil filter?

My engine (sp 135) takes 14.5 quarts to the high mark on the dip stick. I usually buy the oil filter at Napa, part number 551843, but they no longer stock the filter. Is there another source for the oil filter?

Wix 51515

For those of us who are metrically challenged, one US quart = 1.1365Litres

For those of us who are metrically challenged, one US quart = 1.1365Litres

Are you possibly referring to an Imperial quart? This is what I found

1 US quart = .946 liters

1 liter = 1.057 US quarts

1 imperial quart = 1.136 liters

1 imperial quart = 1.200 US quarts

I have the Lehman 90 (4 cyl vs 6 for the 135). I was to talking to Brian at ADC about this subject today. I told my manual said 11.2 qts. He said it shouldn't be more than 9.5 qts, the manual is incorrect. Overfilling can cause oil leaks and other problems.

My notes show a Napa 1515, Fram PH8A or Baldwin B2 for our SP135.

I find it easiest to get from Amazon, oil Fram PH 2821A or PH8A, but the 2821 is significantly longer so I use it, but the 8A's are everyplace so that's what I bought in Maritnique

Fuel Fram C1191A

I was told not to use WIX or Baldwin

I find it easiest to get from Amazon, oil Fram PH 2821A or PH8A, but the 2821 is significantly longer so I use it, but the 8A's are everyplace so that's what I bought in Maritnique

Fuel Fram C1191A

I was told not to use WIX or Baldwin

Richard, what is the problem with WIX. the Wix 51515 is the same as the Napa 1515 which I have been using for years. Just yesterday I bought two Wix 51515 as the store was much closer.

Help!

I was told that by Brian 3 years ago at American Diesel. And when I went on line, a whole bunch of filters were were made under many labels that had issues.
I had some Balwins left over, I did end up using them, but I like Fram and although I've also read crap about them.
But 30 years ago, I was having a terrible time getting a FRAM on, so I called the number on the box, a secretary answered, I told her my problem and she connected me to a real engineer.
He was quite forthcoming, as this was supposed to be the replacement for the FRAM I had been using but could no longer get. He told me the issue and the solution and I have been a steady customer ever since.

In this part of the country (at least) Wix filters are considered very good by most mechanics. Fram are considered pretty bottom of the barrel. I really don't want to get into an oil filter argument. There's plenty of info on line about filters. People dissecting a wide array of filter brands and examining what's really inside. Just Google "Oil filter comparison" "which oil filter is best" etc. do some reading and make up your own mind.

Ken

It appears that perhaps Lehman used two different mounts for the oil filters on the SP 135. Not all of the filters listed are the same size and not all have the same thread.

Time to change the oil of my SP135. Pre oil change the dip stick read max. Sucked out 16 Qts with the reverso. Replenished with 14 QTS Rotella T. Figured thats halfway between the recommended 13.5 and 14.5 Qts. Dip stick red at the "I" in MIN. also changed the filter. Seems that we dont all have the same dip sticks I spect. Anyway, just my observation.
-David

Time to change the oil of my SP135. Pre oil change the dip stick read max. Sucked out 16 Qts with the reverso. Replenished with 14 QTS Rotella T. Figured thats halfway between the recommended 13.5 and 14.5 Qts. Dip stick red at the "I" in MIN. also changed the filter. Seems that we dont all have the same dip sticks I spect. Anyway, just my observation.
-David

That's possible, but also a small change with engine install angle has a marked effect as well. 14.5 qts in my engines brings the level to the top of the "M". :^) When I was on the hard this winter with the boat at a slightly different angle than when in the water, oil appeared down more than a qt.

Ken

...Seems that we dont all have the same dip sticks I spect. Anyway, just my observation.
-David

David: I think your right. After the rebuild, the oil on my dipstick was about 1" lower than before. It was the same dip stick but I learned that the rebuilder replaced the dipstick tube. I was getting ready to modify the stick when the rebuilder said why don't you just cut off a section of the tube above the pan.:facepalm: It unscrews with a 3/4" wrench. I cut about 3/4" off, remarked the stick and was good to go. FYI: My stick has ~9.5" showing below the bell.

Thanks, Ken.
Are you referring to the MIN "M" or the MAX "M"? I presume the MAX "M" but want to be sure.
Cheers,
-David

Thanks, Ken.
Are you referring to the MIN "M" or the MAX "M"? I presume the MAX "M" but want to be sure.
Cheers,
-David
Actually I remembered it wrong, it is very close to what you found on yours. It's just under the N in Min. If you look closely you can see the small tick mark I made in the dipstick. The other two marks are the factory min/max. Filling it to the factory Max mark puts 20 qts in there!

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_1343.jpg
    IMG_1343.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 68
Actually I remembered it wrong, it is very close to what you found on yours. It's just under the N in Min. If you look closely you can see the small tick mark I made in the dipstick. The other two marks are the factory min/max. Filling it to the factory Max mark puts 20 qts in there!

Ken

I know this tread is probably over but I have been looking into all this and mine has the oil filter on and adapter that literally hangs down from the engine. I have been using fram PH 8A’s but from all the hipe thinking of going with and Ac deco 52e and have ordered them. They are a bit bigger but have heard they give better oil pressure than the frams. I had a tough Guard and took it off because it lowered by oil pressure by 5 pounds.

I know this tread is probably over but I have been looking into all this and mine has the oil filter on and adapter that literally hangs down from the engine. I have been using fram PH 8A’s but from all the hipe thinking of going with and Ac deco 52e and have ordered them. They are a bit bigger but have heard they give better oil pressure than the frams. I had a tough Guard and took it off because it lowered by oil pressure by 5 pounds.

Mine a Ford Lehman 120 though

David, engine angle will determine full mark. With complete oil change just run engine shut down let cool completely so all.oil in sump. Look at dipstick and mark stick with dremel . Done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom