Dinghy cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danderer

Guru
Vessel Name
Infinity
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 48
Does anyone have a good, cheap, easy (yeah, I know) idea for a dinghy cover for an inflatable? Lots of covers are available online but the kicker here is that the dinghy is hung from a traditional set of St Croix davits. So a cheap OTS solution won't work without modification.

Even with modifications (slots or holes for the lifting lines) I'd still think a dinghy cover would be a pain to fit and remove. Does the cover go on with the boat in the water? Or once it is up in the davits? Either way I could see my leaning out just that bit too far and making a big splash.

I've thought about chaps too but they seem neither cheap nor easy.

So... anyone have a creative solution here?

Attachments

• IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1577.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 105
I made mine myself in just a few hours. You can buy the plastic hooks that latch into the rails on the side of the dink and they come with the elastics and fittings that just punch through the fabric. Sure keeps the dirt, water and sun off.

Attachments

• IMG_2773.jpg
    IMG_2773.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 132
That looks like a nice simple design. Unfortunately I don't have side rails I could connect to--need to think about that. Some general questions:

- How do you install the cover? With the dinghy in the water and then hook up the falls, or raise it up and then install the cover?

- Are there just holes in the cover to connect the (cover on and then connect) or slots (connect and the put on cover)?

Actually I guess those are two versions of the same question.

That looks like a nice simple design. Unfortunately I don't have side rails I could connect to--need to think about that. Some general questions:

- How do you install the cover? With the dinghy in the water and then hook up the falls, or raise it up and then install the cover?

- Are there just holes in the cover to connect the (cover on and then connect) or slots (connect and the put on cover)?

Actually I guess those are two versions of the same question.

I install half the cover, put the falls through and then clip the other half of the cover, all while in the water. I usually use a beach ball or some foam on the seats to raise the centre for rain runoff.

Yes, I just have two holes in the fabric to bring my dingy bridle thru.

You may want to consider self adhesive snaps for your cover. I have used them and they work well.

https://www.jtsoutdoorfabrics.com/YKK-SNAD-Stud-Fastener--White_p_15325.html

Back
Top Bottom