Driving from the fly bridge or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have full access on both engines. With center walkway. My gen is under the rear aft deck. !970 Egg Harbor 37.
All hatches you lift out of the way completely if desired. Carpet goes over the edges of hatch openings and all hatches.

In this pic, I am getting ready to haul engine out of bilge to rebuild in the cabin.

I adore 60's / 70's ... 37' Eggs

Back in the day, working on wood boats at LI, NY "boat yards", I did much on Egg Harbor, Chris Craft, Owens, Elco... etc. Eggs are a jewel!!!

Last edited:
Carquinez Coot is certainly salty, and it is great to choose and have built the boat you want, to be happy with it and enjoy it, as much as Mark and Perla obviously do. Having your ultimate boat which serves your requirements is a fine achievement in boating.

That view is looking through the saloon The pilothouse has windows looking sternward, overlooking the saloon's roof.

Understood! Can you see your stern while hands on wheel and throttle/clutch?

One way or the other I know you love it... therefore... I love it for you and Perla.

BTW - Went through all your photos - Nice!

Last edited:
BruceK

Is there an ultimate boat? Really? I've been looking for many years to no avail, every time I think I've found the holy grail I realize the error of my ways and it's back to the dreaming.

Bigfish, I think it can be, the boat you have is the boat you want. It`s good to dream, but balancing changing boats with all that entails (incl getting right all the things you originally thought were right), how long you will be boating, how you use the boat, finances, etc, there can be an "I`m happy, this is what I want and need" plateau.

BruceK

Is there an ultimate boat? Really? I've been looking for many years to no avail, every time I think I've found the holy grail I realize the error of my ways and it's back to the dreaming.

In one word - Yes!!

It's the boat that you have at the time you have it... cause... you may not live to see the next boat. Therefore, seeing as being able to be a pleasure boater defines "Ultimately Perfect", the current boat must also be - "ULTIMATELY - PERFECT"!!

In one word - Yes!!

It's the boat that you have at the time you have it... cause... you may not live to see the next boat. Therefore, seeing as being able to be a pleasure boater defines "Ultimately Perfect", the current boat must also be - "ULTIMATELY - PERFECT"!!

I sort of agree, but at the same time, freely admit my Lotus is far from perfect. But because I know her inside and out, and with all her perfections, because I have had to do most stuff myself and know that none of them are mission critical, (unlike toilet issues for instance), I can live with it all and still enjoy her, because I am willing to accept the imperfections.

Sadly, as I am also finding, prospective new owners, ie buyers, are less willing to accept those imperfections, even though for a near new model they would pay 5 times as much for it. So it looks like we won't be parting with Lotus in the foreseeable future. 2iC not as happy with that as I am... :)

So I guess we are all saying that we will compromise. I long ago realized that each boat I've owned I just learned what I don't want and maybe I'll get lucky and get some of the things I really want. LOL

:eek: Trust you all like your own boats.

Perla's favorite photo of the Coot:

Lighting from the saloon has little effect on the pilothouse. Here, rope lights behind valances gently light the pilothouse.

Last edited:
Perla's favorite photo of the Coot:

Lighting from the saloon has little effect on the pilothouse. Here, rope lights behind valances gently light the pilothouse.

It really is a great photo.

Getting back on topic - It almost looks like their is a ghost of a flybridge on your boat in that shot.

It really is a great photo.

Getting back on topic - It almost looks like their is a ghost of a flybridge on your boat in that shot.
Ahem,that needs to be photoshopped out.

Ahem,that needs to be photoshopped out.

Bet ya Mark could care less!! Honestly, me too. I like his Coot as is... it is a classic design with 21st Century twist! :dance:

Art, I dream of having a Coot like Mark's, but I was wondering if Perla would prefer a flybridge. [emoji6]

Wifey B: When I read "Perla's favorite photo of the Coot," at first I thought it was going to be a photo of Mark. :rofl::eek::hide:

Seriously, a beautiful photo. I just love the pride both of you take in your boat and the love you have for it. I see all the threads that are started with "What trawler should I buy" and the answer is always that we can't really tell you, you must find the one perfect for you. Not for your friend. Not for the forum. Not for the experts. For you. Following the pack is perhaps the safe move, but individuality is special. Every time I see the Coot, I think about how happy you are with it. I see you eating a fancy meal with friends on it. I see you moving slowly and Perla relaxing and smiling. I hate most beautiful, nicest, or ugly boat threads. The most beautiful boats are the ones that make you feel like Mark and Perla. I'd never want a Coot. I couldn't love one like the two of you do. But you'd definitely not like our boats. We cruised yesterday at 35 knots in 3-5' seas like wild crazy kids and had a blast, singing along with the music, three of us on the captains seat (yes, it's designed for three).

Boating is such an individual sport, not follow the pack. That's boating 101. Find what makes you happy. The Coot and it's owners are a perfect example. I started to put this smilie :dance: but I see that for me and for Mark and Perla I see it more like this. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

WifeyB

35 knots in 3-5 ft seas? Better you guys than me.

WifeyB

35 knots in 3-5 ft seas? Better you guys than me.

Wifey B: We just sort of skipped across them. Speed actually helped. Every boat has it's comfort spots. Ours yesterday was between 25 and 35 knots. :)

Now some day we're going to get a fast boat. :speed boat:

WifeyB

No matter what happy speed you found if it was me my hemroids would be on the deck going thru the scuppers. :)

WifeyB

No matter what happy speed you found if it was me my hemroids would be on the deck going thru the scuppers. :)

Wifey B: You mean you weren't out playing around in the water yesterday? Things calmed down today. Currently 2-4' at 5 seconds.:)

Wifey B: We just sort of skipped across them. Speed actually helped. Every boat has it's comfort spots. Ours yesterday was between 25 and 35 knots. :)

Now some day we're going to get a fast boat. :speed boat:

Congratulations the "fastest" trawler on the forum :rolleyes:

Congratulations the "fastest" trawler on the forum :rolleyes:

Wifey B: Perhaps more than one boat. This one's my baby. Only decent accommodations for two, although three of us on it. Mostly day trips. Never cook aboard. Just fun. :)

WifeyB

Am I reading you correctly, you have both boats in the Abacos?

WifeyB

Am I reading you correctly, you have both boats in the Abacos?

Wifey B: No, we have no boats in the Abacos now. We were in the Abacos, but went home, did some land stuff, and now just a very short trip south. Back home tomorrow. Abacos is old news now, but it sure was nice. Just local cruising until May 8. :)

That to me shows inexperience with major engine issues.

The typical gauges usually tell of impending failure moments before, not far in advance that visual signasl could tell.

That is so far from my professional on the water experience I cannot even believe someone believes that gauges are the early warning devices.

And I am not talking drips that have been monitored....heck my engine loses about an ounce or two a day. Not what I am talking about....the sources are known and are not potential larger issues.

Where do engine alarms then fit in this comparison? I wouldn't rely on them solely, but for saving an engine, they might beat inspections. A popped oil hose will kill you long before your next inspection, no?

I say this because I'm not sure my alarms are all operational at both stations - note to self...

Last edited:
WifeyB

You guys change so fast and often I need a program to keep track. LOL

Back
Top Bottom