Which wrist watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...I might also mention, that rings pose both a snagging hazard AND a crushing hazard with possible loss of the finger.
Rings are also very dangerous when working with electrical. A 12V short via a ring can melt the gold into your finger. I take any rings off before any mechanical work of any sort.

Richard

Excellent point, RT. I'd say a better rule around rotating macinery is to just not wear anything that has the potential to snag and engage. Or to conduct electricity.

Along with jewelry, loose clothing is a hazard. Shirt sleeves or pants legs can get wrapped up by spinning shafts or other moving parts with disastrous consequences to whatever limb is in them.

Along with jewelry, loose clothing is a hazard. Shirt sleeves or pants legs can get wrapped up by spinning shafts or other moving parts with disastrous consequences to whatever limb is in them.

Wifey B: Don't forget long hair, like waist length, like some of us might just have. :eek:

Wifey B: Don't forget long hair, like waist length, like some of us might just have. :eek:

Well, I think it would do the TF community a great service if you could post photos of how you do your engine checks with your hair tied up, and sans jewelry, watches, and clothing.

Can I get an "Amen" from the congregation?

It's nice to have up-to-date tide information for any spot on earth! I'll always have an appreciation for mechanical watch movements, I have a few. However, it's easy to appreciate the latest offerings.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 86
Well, I think it would do the TF community a great service if you could post photos of how you do your engine checks with your hair tied up, and sans jewelry, watches, and clothing.

Can I get an "Amen" from the congregation?

Wifey B: Engine check without clothing? I like very little clothing for most things but not for that. Coveralls in ER. :)

Hey Giggitoni, what type of watch is that. If it is an Apple Watch, what is the battery life like?

OK. So this thread made me go out and buy a watch. A Seiko 5 automatic. Cheap and functional. So far, so good.

Attachments

• 14940157342271844837333.jpg
    14940157342271844837333.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Most watches are good for a day or two and yours with hands will always be correct twice a day. :)

Most watches are good for a day or two and yours with hands will always be correct twice a day. :)
Actually it'll be correct twice on 1 to 3 days per year. Note that his watch has a day and date complication :)

Richard

NS, that`s an easy to read dial, you can`t beat Seiko or Citizen for function, reliability and value.

Sorry, I didn't notice you bought the fancy watch. :)

Hey Giggitoni, what type of watch is that. If it is an Apple Watch, what is the battery life like?

Apple Watch Series 2. I have the watch managed to fit my daily routine and I can probably get about 30 hours off a full charge. The watch charges fast. I usually charge it in the morning while reading the local news paper (while I'm still and not moving around).

NS, that`s an easy to read dial, you can`t beat Seiko or Citizen for function, reliability and value.
Yeah. I have a driveway full of Honda and Toyota products too, so it fits in.

Maybe a mistake, but.....since i retired, I took my watch off and loving it!!!

OK. So this thread made me go out and buy a watch. A Seiko 5 automatic. Cheap and functional. So far, so good.

And an in-house manufacture movement with a couple of unique (for its day features). Well done.

Mine is a GMT Ocean-1. It is not a Rolex, but is almost identical. It is Swiss made, has the same ETA movement, sapphire crystal, date dome, stainless case and band, etc., but it was a small fraction of the cost due to being a Steinhart. But, the little crown in the logo was a step too far. They lost the legal battle and are no longer sold in the US, though the current version may be available in Germany. Mine is over ten years old now and is still going strong. This is what mine looked like when new.

Attachments

• gmt-ocean-1.jpg
    gmt-ocean-1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 83
Mine is a GMT Ocean-1. It is not a Rolex, but is almost identical. It is Swiss made, has the same ETA movement, ...
Actually Rolex makes all its own movements "in house" and doesn't use ETA movements. In fact they manufacture most, if not all of their own parts.

Richard

I ended up buying yet another watch. I believe that a few of you may have this or it's predisessors. It is a Seiko dive watch, specifically the SKX173. This is an automatic WR to 200 meters. Day, date, unidirectional bezel and screw down crown. You can buy the SKX007 new for about $170, I just liked the looks of the SKX173. Same watch just a slightly different face.

I have only been wearing for a day but find it is pretty comfortable. It is about 42mm in diameter so not too big. Since I am seeing patients today and spend a lot of time in the dark I have been very impressed with the lume on the face and hands. Very easy to see.

My thought is that this will make a decent watch for around the boat and in the water. Not quite as dressy as I want for the office so I will stick with my Citizens for that.

Attachments

• _20170710_154752.jpg
    _20170710_154752.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 61
Somewhere in this thread is my Steinhart Ocean 1 Green. Nice watch. I was unaware of the legal issues, got mine direct from the Fatherland on line.

Somewhere in this thread is my Steinhart Ocean 1 Green. Nice watch. I was unaware of the legal issues, got mine direct from the Fatherland on line.

Yup, I recall. That is a very nice watch. You can get them online new for a bit under $500. That is very moderately priced in the watch world.

Geez, you folks have greater disposable cash than I. And I hesitate spending more than $10 on Ebay for my watches that keep accurate time. Don't know how I would benefit spending another $190 or more for an accurate time piece. But no, I don't need a watch that will function at depths of 200 meters of water

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom