Which wrist watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm usually wearing a Russian Amphibia Vostok automatic dive watch on a NATO strap. Supposedly waterproof to 200M - not that I'll ever test that.

View attachment 51948 Rolex Submariner, Stainless Steel. Come on guys! You deserve to wear a fine time piece that can be handed down to future generations. Totally waterproof, rust proof and bullet proof! Besides, this is one of the few luxury items that will hold its value over time unlike our boats!

I went through my Rolex phase back in the 80's when we all had to have one. One instance of having to turn around and drive a hundred miles back to a hotel for it was the final straw. I wear a $20 Casio, now. It keeps better time and it's pretty much disposable.

The nice thing about icons is they tend to appreciate in value over time. Some of the watches mentioned here are indeed iconic in the watch world. Some choose to use some choose to collect. Last time I wore one of mine Oliver was with me at flibs. Some guy selling polish threatened to make it look like a Rolex.

This is for the watch collectors that I know are reading this thread :)

Here's one that you will probably never see in the wild.

Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch, in Yellow gold. :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1222.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1223.jpg
    IMG_1223.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 81
Wifey B: As I read this entire thread I'm smiling and giggling. :D :rofl:

In a nice admiring way though. Some guys talk about women and fashion and use terms like "fashion nonsense" and outrageous spending on a designer dress or on some jewelry. The truth is out. Guys are just as fashion conscious. Just different items. They may think a Gucci purse is crazy but then they have a watch that cost 10 times as much. They may think the fancy interior on the car makes no sense, but they get positively carried away discussing the undercarriage and suspension and all that stuff under their pickup truck or the torque of the engine.

It's like shoes. Guys see how many shoes we have, but then a young guy goes out and pays tons for basketball shoes (or an middle aged dude like my hubby :lol: ). Anyone seen the newest shoe which launches tomorrow, Nike Hyperadapt? $1500-2500. But they do lace themselves and adapt to the shape of your foot. They come with a manual. Now, I find it interesting that the launch day is 4/20 as in if someone buys a pair they are sure to be asked "what were you smoking, dude?" But then did just find a Nike 2016 Air Mag for $60,000 at Flight Club so collector's items too.

I think all you guys and your fancy watches are really cool. Had no idea there would be so many here and it's fun seeing the less serious side of all of you so keep it going guys. :D Most of the watches are really cool too.

Wifey B, most of us guys have very little use for male jewelry such as bracelets, neckwear, fancy jeweled rings and earrings. However, a fine time piece is very appropriate not only for function but as an acceptable form of understated male fashion. Many men I know have a wardrobe of fine watches from a dress Rolex President to a professional sport watch such as the Submariner.

This is for the watch collectors that I know are reading this thread :)

Here's one that you will probably never see in the wild.

Omega Speedmaster Moon Watch, in Yellow gold. :eek:

"321" movement?

Wifey B, most of us guys have very little use for male jewelry such as bracelets, neckwear, fancy jeweled rings and earrings. However, a fine time piece is very appropriate not only for function but as an acceptable form of understated male fashion. Many men I know have a wardrobe of fine watches from a dress Rolex President to a professional sport watch such as the Submariner.

Wifey B: But watches are jewelry and the fine wardrobe you refer to is "designer watches." A Timex or Casio is a watch, a Rolex is fine designer jewelry. I think it's all cute that you guys have your watches. We all have our guilty pleasures so to speak. It brings an extra smile, some added joy to our lives. Someone mentioned a sports car. Well, I can't drive anywhere in my Porsche that I couldn't in a Hyundai Elantra but I still like it.

We don't have to justify everything. If you like a watch and can afford it, then buy it. Reward yourself for all you've done in life. Now, hopefully at the same time do a bit for others if you're able to do so too.

Oh, as to necklaces, guess you're not athletic enough. :lol: They and entertainers seem to be the ones. I don't get the heavy gold chains around one's neck, but if it makes someone happy, fine with me. It also pays for some people in the supply chain too.

I have one piece of antique and exotic jewelry. I treasure it and only wear it a couple of times a year. However, more than it's beauty, I love it's history and story. To me, it's not jewelry, it's art.

I'll bet with every fancy watch you guys all have stories. You know it's history. You know where and when you bought it. You probably even remember some times and places you wore it. Now, that sounds like art to me as well.

Guess we're art collectors. However, a Picasso or Rodin (well, other than "The Kiss" as I do love that) aren't what we collect. It's a piece here and a piece there we find on our travels, we buy directly from the artist, we know the story. We know when created, what inspired it, what it means to the artist. Then we have our story on top of it. So, a friend looks at it and asks. We tell them when and where we got it, how we found the place, a bit about the artist, and then it's full story. To us, it's "living art.' Not the most expensive but memories.

So, I love reading about your watches. It's all interesting. It's nice to see the value you're putting on art, wearable art. Nice to see you appreciate it for something beyond it's ability to keep time.

We have a friend who collects spoons. You know the things you buy in touristy gift shops for quadruple what they should cost. There is nothing more enjoyable than a few minutes with her, looking at some of her spoons and hearing the story behind it. She got started when she was a young girl on her father's fishing charter boat. He'd let her pick out one on each trip if they went to shore somewhere. They're the only tangible item she has left that is filled with memories of him. It's from him she got her love for fishing and knew very young that the only thing she ever wanted to be was a captain.

So you guys keep your watch stories coming and keep collecting. They're beautiful. Plus I'm sure the memories and the stories are even more so. :)

... Many men I know have a wardrobe of fine watches from a dress Rolex President to a professional sport watch such as the Submariner.
Yup!
10115-albums600-picture3665.jpg

10115-albums600-picture3664.jpg

10115-albums600-picture3663.jpg

10115-albums600-picture3662.jpg

And a number of other less dressy watches (all mechanical).

Richard

Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
... Many men I know have a wardrobe of fine watches from a dress Rolex President to a professional sport watch such as the Submariner.

No, that's not me but my incumbent wife. She has both plus a few more men's size Rolexs. Don't get me started .

Many men I know have a wardrobe of fine watches from a dress Rolex President to a professional sport watch such as the Submariner.

I must travel in much less rarified circles. None of my friends own a Rolex.

I must travel in much less rarified circles. None of my friends own a Rolex.

You must hang around boat people a lot! these guys can afford them....they don't own big boats!!!!

Wifey B:

I'll bet with every fancy watch you guys all have stories. You know it's history. You know where and when you bought it. You probably even remember some times and places you wore it. Now, that sounds like art to me as well.

I've got a box of broken watches that all have stories. I pretty much know how I broke them too. One bent to heck wedding ring too. (I'm on my 3rd one of those.)

I was going to post a picture of my Solar Seiko chronograph in this thread when it first started. I broke it last December. Haven't replaced it yet.

Had opportunity to buy a Rolex Submariner back in my NavyDays™, but bought a good set of speakers instead.

Still have and use the speakers.

Pretty sure the Rolex would be in the box by now. Right next to the Junghans I had as a kid. Or maybe at the bottom of the ocean.

Love​ to have a nice watch again. Some guys just weren't meant for jewelry, I guess.

I was in Hong Kong a few years ago and went to the night markets - a guy was selling watches - every brand you could think of, inc Rolex. So, knowing I would never be in a financial position to justify a fair dinkum one, I spent $50 to get a "genuine" one - he had some at $30 but admitted these were fakes:dance:.
So............. he knew it was a fake, I know its a fake but it still gives me a kick wearing it every now and then - -normally when the battery on my Seiko gives out and before I can get it replaced- which isn`t that often. BTW, I compared it with a friends genuine Rolex and it is an exact copy - he was not happy as he paid more than $50

The bamboo spring must have been of the finest quality because its still going!

Funny you should mention fake Rolex watches. A good friend had a box full of about 20 ladies solid gold Rolex watches (some with diamonds) that he would use as presents to girls he was dating in the 70s and 80s. The gold lasted about three weeks which was the length of his relationships. They did the job! I think he said he paid $15 or $20.00 for these "genuine" Rolexs.

Years ago I worked selling machinery overseas, a gold Rolex was pretty much part of the "uniform" back then.
A couple of years after I retired I started "trawlering" and the Rolex went into the sock drawer. After some time my two adult sons asked me what happened to the Rolex I told them, they asked why don't you give it to one of us? Straight faced I told them "cause I want to be buried wearing it" The look on their faces! I bust out laughing, I guess one day I'll have to flip a coin!
A Rolex is a fine watch but they do seem to need lots of maintenance the links wear, mechanism needs cleaning all lots of$$$

Replacing batts is a PIA, thus my interest in Citizen eco drive, and my inexpensive Casio tide watch.
A mall watchmaker want to send an Omega to Omega, for battery replacement. They have a large very smart sales shopfront in Martin Place Sydney, with a suit wearing door opener! Fortunately I can have the batt replaced without going there.

Thanks Mr. R T

I want one of those but how will I know which way is north?

BTW I found this site. Watch USA today.com that gives prices of used watches, I'm amazed at how some watches more than maintain there price.

On my watches, I replace the batteries myself. Keep in mind however that my watches are all relatively inexpensive and most of them purchased used.

Mr R T

Great, and for less than $50.00. I would get two but I know it won't break as long as the sun comes up.

Thanks.

Off to get a new battery for a 2.5mm thick Omega. Last time it wasn`t the battery....this time...hoping that`s all it is.

This is a good all around boat watch.

Waterproof, salt proof, tough as nails.

Attachments

• IMG_1225.jpg
    IMG_1225.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
But these are the ones we bought specifically as "boat watches"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 80
I've found my stainless Seiko Solar (supposedly good for 100m but not a "dive watch") to hold up well with the rigors of the boating and heavy construction environment. Six or so years in and keeps perfect time. < $100 when purchased.

Greetings,
ONE thing that has not been mentioned is the watchband and the potential dangers of snags and being grabbed by moving machinery. I knew an old machinist who refused to wear a wristwatch without an elastic style band. He noted that IF his watch happened to be caught up in a lathe or a mill, the band would be more likely to give way rather than drag his arm into danger. I might also mention, that rings pose both a snagging hazard AND a crushing hazard with possible loss of the finger.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom