View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #175
BandB
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
Its still the standard. I agree that most know its the same, not the point. Just because some ignorant folks do things differently does not make the normal way wrong. In my "area" Really? The US Navy and US Maritime is not my "area". My dad didn't just dream this up, Step aboard any merchant vessel or hang out where professional seaman hang their hat and tell them midnight is 2400 hours and see what happens. I sailed professionally on tugs for years, 2400 is not considered proper usage in the maritime industry.
There's a world outside the maritime industry. In addition I've heard those in the industry talk about watches from 1800 to 2400 followed by one from 000 to 0600. I hang out with professional seamen all the time. Now, this isn't an issue that comes up often, but the seamen I know understand they're the same and don't get as bent out of shape over it as you do. You say it's the standard. I ask "per whom?" I see plenty of sources including military that use both. Actually one convention is that when it's used as the end of a period, it's used as 2400 and at the beginning as 000. Now, digital clocks use 0:00 as they're not capable of showing both. Railroad uses 0:00 as departure time and 24:00 as arrival time. I've checked about a dozen sources and don't find a single one that says 2400 is not acceptable for certain uses.

I will acknowledge and understand whatever anyone uses and not tell them they're wrong.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote