Which wrist watch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A dive watch would be nice as they don't make sun dials that work underwater.:)

Id love one of these
cebestan-winch-tourbillion-vertica.jpg

Gaston

What is it?

Reminds me of code machines of WW2.

Wifey B: $600k for a watch is crazy, but $600k for an ugly watch is insane. :hide:
I like the watch. I find it interesting, unique, and attractive. However, $600k would fund my retirement.

I have a couple of watches that I only wear now and then, my daughter bought a Traser Officer Pro when she did her officer training in the navy, apparently one of the only milspec watches about, whatever that means. I got one for watchkeeping. I like the night illumination and the easy to read face.
My second watch is a 1st gen 1958 Omega Speedmaster which still runs perfectly. More of a collectable than a daily.
I wont own a watch or clock that says 2400 for midnight, I just wont. Got chewed out a couple of times as a kid for putting 2400 in the log book by my old man, never again.

Here is a recent addition, nice watch, very large and accurate enough for all intents and purposes.

Attachments

• IMG_3623.jpg
    IMG_3623.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 63
I like the watch. I find it interesting, unique, and attractive. However, $600k would fund my retirement.

Wifey B: Interesting and unique, I'll agree. Attractive. Do you find it attractive to have on display or on your dresser or would you actually enjoy wearing it? I even went to a retailers website to look. They are actually headquartered (in US) near us and have two retailers near us. I still can't picture someone wearing it. You'd need a humongous wrist. Then where and when would one wear it? Seems like it would be easy to bash against things. :confused:

I wont own a watch or clock that says 2400 for midnight, I just wont. Got chewed out a couple of times as a kid for putting 2400 in the log book by my old man, never again.

Wifey B: Just seems to me there should be a split, like minuscule second of 24:00:00. I mean you build all the way up to 23:11:59:59:59:59. It's deflating not to go to 24:00:00. One day has to end and the next start. It's unfair not to let the day run to completion. It should be 24:00 and then immediately converted to 00:00. I carry the banner for fairness. :lol:

WifeyB

Obviously the marker doesn't expect to sell many of then, they only made 135. I would need a few more years at the University to be able to read that watch. I won't be standing in line for one whetherit says 2400 or 0000. :)

Wifey B: Just seems to me there should be a split, like minuscule second of 24:00:00. I mean you build all the way up to 23:11:59:59:59:59. It's deflating not to go to 24:00:00. One day has to end and the next start. It's unfair not to let the day run to completion. It should be 24:00 and then immediately converted to 00:00. I carry the banner for fairness. :lol:
2400 seems perfectly logical and did to me as a youngster, but over time its become one of those bugaboos for me. When I walk into a hospital and see all those clocks with 2400 on them I just about start calling for the crash cart!:lol: I rank it right up there with saying "I could care less". :banghead::banghead::banghead::facepalm::facepalm: AARRGGHH!!!!!!!!!

To me the purpose of a log book is to accurately record events and time, I would expect the reader would realize 2400 or 0000 hrs would be the same. Perhaps I'm wrong.

All this talk of watches.... I'm usually a Seiko guy, have about 6 of them. But after seeing a traser in this thread I decided to pop for one.

Attachments

• watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 48
Holy crap ! 167 and counting ...and all about a watch LOL ! Sure beats any anchor thread that I have seen here ... FB

Amazing what attracts the attention of members. LOL

They are the same. Only difference is that one is correct terminology and one isn't.

Not true according to most sources today. In fact, to avoid the issue many have eliminated boat and deal with 23:59 and 0:01. Might have been considered wrong in your area or with your father, but that's not a consensus today. The real belief is that anyone should know 2400 and 000 are the same time.

All this talk of watches.... I'm usually a Seiko guy, have about 6 of them. But after seeing a traser in this thread I decided to pop for one.

I have no idea how many watches I own now. Someone in my family likes buying them.

BandB

Your lucky she doesn't like expensive sports cars. LOL

Not true according to most sources today. In fact, to avoid the issue many have eliminated boat and deal with 23:59 and 0:01. Might have been considered wrong in your area or with your father, but that's not a consensus today. The real belief is that anyone should know 2400 and 000 are the same time.
Its still the standard. I agree that most know its the same, not the point. Just because some ignorant folks do things differently does not make the normal way wrong. In my "area" Really? The US Navy and US Maritime is not my "area". My dad didn't just dream this up, Step aboard any merchant vessel or hang out where professional seaman hang their hat and tell them midnight is 2400 hours and see what happens. I sailed professionally on tugs for years, 2400 is not considered proper usage in the maritime industry.

Its still the standard. I agree that most know its the same, not the point. Just because some ignorant folks do things differently does not make the normal way wrong. In my "area" Really? The US Navy and US Maritime is not my "area". My dad didn't just dream this up, Step aboard any merchant vessel or hang out where professional seaman hang their hat and tell them midnight is 2400 hours and see what happens. I sailed professionally on tugs for years, 2400 is not considered proper usage in the maritime industry.

There's a world outside the maritime industry. In addition I've heard those in the industry talk about watches from 1800 to 2400 followed by one from 000 to 0600. I hang out with professional seamen all the time. Now, this isn't an issue that comes up often, but the seamen I know understand they're the same and don't get as bent out of shape over it as you do. You say it's the standard. I ask "per whom?" I see plenty of sources including military that use both. Actually one convention is that when it's used as the end of a period, it's used as 2400 and at the beginning as 000. Now, digital clocks use 0:00 as they're not capable of showing both. Railroad uses 0:00 as departure time and 24:00 as arrival time. I've checked about a dozen sources and don't find a single one that says 2400 is not acceptable for certain uses.

I will acknowledge and understand whatever anyone uses and not tell them they're wrong.

There's a world outside the maritime industry. In addition I've heard those in the industry talk about watches from 1800 to 2400 followed by one from 000 to 0600. I hang out with professional seamen all the time. Now, this isn't an issue that comes up often, but the seamen I know understand they're the same and don't get as bent out of shape over it as you do. You say it's the standard. I ask "per whom?" I see plenty of sources including military that use both. Actually one convention is that when it's used as the end of a period, it's used as 2400 and at the beginning as 000. Now, digital clocks use 0:00 as they're not capable of showing both. Railroad uses 0:00 as departure time and 24:00 as arrival time. I've checked about a dozen sources and don't find a single one that says 2400 is not acceptable for certain uses.

I will acknowledge and understand whatever anyone uses and not tell them they're wrong.
Standard for many years in the military and the maritime industry. Are things changing? Perhaps so. I guess what others do is fine, I will stick to the old way. I guess perhaps I should just say, "I could care less", and nevermind.:banghead:

Cant imagine where I get these funny old ideas from...:dance::lol::smitten:

Attachments

• IMG_3624.jpg
    IMG_3624.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 48
Clear as mud...

Thread content: Cool time pieces...

Attachments

• IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0501.JPG