Looking for wooden side doors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
We are looking for used wooden side doors. Our metal doors are looking bad, I have to rebuild the track and runners and might do them in wood too. We'd like to get used wooden doors if we can find them. Contacted a few boat surplus yards, but nobody seems to have what we want. The doors are about 50" high, 32" wide and an inch thick with a 20x24 glass panel.

I am thinking of making them myself, but could also alter a matched set to fit. And I still will want a new latch and lock. Any ideas?

Thye latches on mine are standard perko style The latches work well but the lock is not worth a dam

Got a picture of them?

here is one one the side door** I get some decent closeups tomorrow when I go to thr boat

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 108
Here's a place to get locksets similar to the originals, http://www.locksonline.co.uk/a, catalog/Union_2477_Sliding_Door_Lock.html These sets are a little larger than the originals, but wooden doors can be enlarged to fit. They will take US based credit cards and mail to US addresses.

I didn't think to ask them for a matched set when I bought mine so each has a different key. This isn't a big problem for us since we generally use only the starboard door and the key hangs above it if we lock the door. After I rebuild my doors and put in the new locks I'll just have a different key hanging over the port door.

Ken

A couple of good sites. I think Ken's site has more of what I want. However, the pics are not detailed enough for me to see if it is exactly what I need. Good start. Once I start to nail down what the project will look like and what it's going to take to do it, I will look more closely at options. Making the doors from scratch looks like the best option. I'd rather not, but I can't find what I need. It's going to be the biggest and most visible project to date. However, I still have to rebuild the runner track first because it's rotten to the core, so I have a little time to keep looking for doors.

heres my rear door

Attachments

• photo07101926[1]    boat door.jpg
    photo07101926[1] boat door.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 108
Let us know if you need some measurements or whatever. Also, I have my 2 locksets sitting in a cabinet so I can give you more pictures or measurements or whatever. Shipping time was about a month, so be sure to put that in your schedule.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom